openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

News

• New

Hi,

For a couple of days I am running an Orange Pi Zero Plus (OPI0+) together with an external USB 2.0 HDD (Western Digital) as a mini NAS. I installed an OMV ISO image based on Armbian.

The HDD has a separate power adapter, independent from the OPI0+. The OPI0+ has very little power consumption, particularly in idle. The power cable/adapter of the Western Digital HDD is plugged into a remote Wi-Fi (WLAN) power plug, which can be turned off and on - from almost everywhere.

Would it be okay to turn off the HDD power, means to turn off only the HDD, when I don't use the NAS?

Remarks: I will use the HDD very rarely. The power consumption of the HDD is much higher than the OPI0+. An OPI0+ shut down, via OMV, causes a permanent shut down. It keeps on being off, even after turning on the power plug, means it doesn't boot. It boots only, if I remove the micro-USB cable/adapter at the OPI0+ and plug it in again.

Thanks for your advise,
    Joe
  • New

I have an HPn40L running as NAS with OMV, and besides the 4 permanent drives i have inside, i intend to be using hot swappable drives, for easy in and out access. Last time i added a drive for one use operation, it caused some problems since it checked for it during boot time and output warnings that it wasnt there, etc which caused me to esit the fstab and messed thigns up further.

Anyway that was eventually taken care of, but my qestion now is How do i add drives, and mount them and have access to the shares, without having the system nag me that it doesnt find them durring starup, or that the contain bad blocks and the such. Its mighty important for me

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

openmediavault-letsencrypt

ryecoaaron

OMV 4.x

dieter12

Turn off the HDD power (to turn off only the HDD)? Better not?

tkaiser

Poor NFS performance

jaydee99

Problem with installing OMV 3.x on Armbian (BananaPi M1)

tkaiser

Recent Activities

• ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x (stable) openmediavault-letsencrypt.

Quote from krutojmax: “Using the webroot path / for all unmatched domains. ” This is wrong. Did you add any domains and their correct web root (hint - webroot will not be / )?
  • krutojmax -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x (stable) openmediavault-letsencrypt.

I have problems to generate my certificate. Source Code (13 lines)With the olde version I have no problems but with the new one i can't generate a cert. What can I do / test? :)
  • Joe_PS -

Liked flmaxey’s post in the thread OMV 3.x (stable) Turn off the HDD power (to turn off only the HDD)? Better not?.

Like (Post)
    Since powering off forces a (dirty) unmount and powering on, after OMV is running, requires a mount: You might want to look at this thread. Here's an external link to installing usbmount on the command line. It includes a few lines on the filesystems…
  • Joe_PS -

Liked tkaiser’s post in the thread OMV 3.x (stable) Turn off the HDD power (to turn off only the HDD)? Better not?.

Like (Post)
    Quote from Joe_PS: “But I'd like to learn how 'tolerant' OMV (based on armbian) is, if the HDD is powered off. ” You might experience filesystem corruption which is something I would try to avoid at all. Few facts: - OPi Zero Plus has 4 fully…
  • dieter12 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x.

• flmaxey -

Liked tkaiser’s post in the thread OMV 3.x (stable) Turn off the HDD power (to turn off only the HDD)? Better not?.

Like (Post)
    Quote from Joe_PS: “But I'd like to learn how 'tolerant' OMV (based on armbian) is, if the HDD is powered off. ” You might experience filesystem corruption which is something I would try to avoid at all. Few facts: - OPi Zero Plus has 4 fully…
  • tkaiser -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x (stable) Turn off the HDD power (to turn off only the HDD)? Better not?.

• jaydee99 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x (testing) Poor NFS performance.

Had exactly the same problem when accessing OMV4 NFS shares from OSX clients, very slow read/writes, that's why i came back to OMV3...
  • flmaxey -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x (stable) Turn off the HDD power (to turn off only the HDD)? Better not?.

Since powering off forces a (dirty) unmount and powering on, after OMV is running, requires a mount: You might want to look at this thread. Here's an external link to installing usbmount on the command line. It includes a few lines on the filesystems…
  • tkaiser -

Replied to the thread Problem with installing OMV 3.x on Armbian (BananaPi M1).

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from tkaiser: “simply choose the right image and you're done. ” I can never remember which versions of the BPi work with which images unless their names match. ” No worries. These Bananas are named so stupidly. I…