openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

News

• New

Hi all,

I am at my wits end with this................

So new build on the following platform
    U-NAS case 8-bay
    Supermicro A1SRi-2758F motherboard
    32GB ECC Registered
    LSI SAS 9211-8i IT mode
    8x 4TB Toshiba N300 drives

OMV 4.1.9

Wiped all drives and installed as required.
    Built an array in RAID6
    Filesystrm BTRFS
    Created shares, account etc.
    Connected and started transferring data across
    After a few hours a couple of drives disappeared

Did exactly the same again and same result
    Tried a third time, but this time 4 drives disappeared and the RAID array disappeared and upon reboot 7 drives are there.

Drives are good, 3 are brand new, other have a 1000 hours use only.

I have tried everything, but would like assistance to help get it working and to find out the problem.

Failing this, it'll be Freenas as I know that works on this platform

Advice or suggestions??

Thanks in advanced
  • New

So this is what happened.

Last night I was watching shows on the OMV server via Plex app. I started to get errors that the media can not play. No biggie some times I need to do a update because I am a couple of revisions behind.

Did a apt-get update and the command hung. So i figured maybe the cache is full, this box hasn't been rebooted in months so that is possible. I rebooted the box and go the following screen.

[IMG:https://ibb.co/iBhGfp]

I am going to take that my sda1 drive which is where OMV is installed has gone bad or is going bad.

My hard drives are in a usb NAS storage that plugs into the box. My question is this.

If i reinstall OMV to a different drive will I be able to just plug the USB back into the box and all of my files are safe?

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

RAID6 8-drives keeps dropping discs

Can not boot into openmediavault anymore

ness1602

Changing OS disk

ness1602

[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

Frank Zhu

Can't get OpenVPN to work with OMV 4

peterparker

Recent Activities

• BazzUK -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x RAID6 8-drives keeps dropping discs.

Thread
    Hi all, I am at my wits end with this................ So new build on the following platform U-NAS case 8-bay Supermicro A1SRi-2758F motherboard 32GB ECC Registered LSI SAS 9211-8i IT mode 8x 4TB Toshiba N300 drives OMV 4.1.9 Wiped all drives and…
  • ness1602 -

Replied to the thread Can not boot into openmediavault anymore.

Yeah,your boot driver is bad. Reinstall and after that plugin USB NAS.
  • ness1602 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Changing OS disk.

Try to clone it with clonezilla or Acronis, and then if needed rebuild grub.
  • Falco -

Liked raven66’s post in the thread OMV 4.x Changing OS disk.

Like (Post)
    I'm really not into position yet (still learning) to tell you that. Safest soultion: use external disk to copy all the data from RAID and keep that disk until you've done with HDD/SSD switch.
  • Falco -

Liked WastlJ’s post in the thread OMV 4.x Changing OS disk.

Like (Post)
    Data disks will not get harmed if you change the OS drive. (Please unplug them while installing on your new OS drive!) IMHO it is not worth making a backup from the OS drive and fiddling it onto a new drive. I´m always installing OMV freshly onto the…
  • Falco -

Quote from WastlJ: “Data disks will not get harmed if you change the OS drive. (Please unplug them while installing on your new OS drive!) IMHO it is not worth making a backup from the OS drive and fiddling it onto a new drive. I´m always installing…
  • WastlJ -

Data disks will not get harmed if you change the OS drive. (Please unplug them while installing on your new OS drive!) IMHO it is not worth making a backup from the OS drive and fiddling it onto a new drive. I´m always installing OMV freshly onto the…
  • raven66 -

I'm really not into position yet (still learning) to tell you that. Safest soultion: use external disk to copy all the data from RAID and keep that disk until you've done with HDD/SSD switch.
  • Frank Zhu -

Replied to the thread OMV 1.0 [HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV.

Thanks ellnic. I will try this when I get home.
  • peterparker -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Can't get OpenVPN to work with OMV 4.

Hi, any news on this? I have the same problem. Dashboard shows green lights, but openvpn is not running. I installed and configured the openvpn plugin the same way as in OMV3. Any help would be greatly…