openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

News

• New

Hi all,

I have recently started to see occasional errors on my USB hard drive connected to my RPi running OMV 3.

Can anyone give me some advice on what they might relate to? Is the hard drive going or can I safely ignore them. I have SMART monitoring running on the drive and haven't seen any reports of an issue.

errors from syslog below...

EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry:1463: inode #2: comm smbd: reading directory lblock 0
    EXT4-fs warning (device sda1): htree_dirblock_to_tree:962: inode #23855105: lblock 0: comm smbd: error -5 reading directory block
  • New

Hi Guys,

I've woken up this morning and can't access any media on my server. Logged into OMV GUI, rebooted and the drives are all still there, but the RAID is missing (I believe it was a RAID 5 array). Have looked at a few threads on the forum, and tried to start a self-diagnosis, but I was hoping one of you would kindly offer me some guidance.

blkid:
    /dev/sdb: UUID="6ff00f35-b3aa-6d29-25ac-1d7e2a2b2007" UUID_SUB="ef7151df-f61f-ce6e-1612-4dbfc0e9d1cf" LABEL="openmediavault:MEDIAVAULT" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdd: UUID="6ff00f35-b3aa-6d29-25ac-1d7e2a2b2007" UUID_SUB="55ad5625-0b73-7d46-248e-aedccfc05460" LABEL="openmediavault:MEDIAVAULT" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdf: UUID="6ff00f35-b3aa-6d29-25ac-1d7e2a2b2007" UUID_SUB="6c9b69a2-58ef-cced-95f1-11233b066a54" LABEL="openmediavault:MEDIAVAULT" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sde: UUID="6ff00f35-b3aa-6d29-25ac-1d7e2a2b2007" UUID_SUB="7a6cb4e9-902f-3852-3c8a-01196f74dcea" LABEL="openmediavault:MEDIAVAULT"…
  • New

Hello,

my NAS runs on OMV3.0.73 with 2xWD 3Tb disks in Raid1. Autoupdates are turned off and i never start updates manually. Very stable so far. I am normal home user and want the most stable system and no pressure to login if i dont want to.

Which strategy do you recommend to get the most stable system:
    A) no updates at all
    B) just some of them, for example if my WiFi isnt working anymore
    C) check every single update and decide, if i need it
    D) just get all of them
    For example "debconf1.5.56+debu8.1 - debian configuration management system" - sounds important, but do i need it? Or could it even cause problems? I have no idea....

If my questions are stupid, pls dont kill me.

Love this forum
    Chris
  • New

I noticed some weird intermittent problems on my network. At first I thought there was a problem with the router, but then I checked the server usage graphs and saw that the OMV box was periodically saturating the network connection to an absurd degree.

On the hourly graph the baseline noise at the bottom is me doing some file copying. The spikes are something entirely different. Somehow the server has sent out 335 Tb of network traffic this month, in these random spikes.

Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what's causing it?

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Best update-strategy on OMV3?

tkaiser

Anfängerfrage Aktualisierungsverwaltung

Sc0rp

OMV for ROCK64 (and other RK3328 devices soon)

tkaiser

Expand XFS Filesystem after adding a 5th Drive to RAID 5

JSKershaw

occasional EXT4-fs errors on attached (USB) drive

tkaiser

Recent Activities

• tkaiser -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x Update Best update-strategy on OMV3?.

Quote from Sc0rp: “under OMV exist no "automatic updates" ” I don't know about the x86 ISO but on all the various OMV images for ARM boards the 'unattended-upgrades' package is installed by default so even users who 'never change a running system' get…
  • Sc0rp -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x Update Anfängerfrage Aktualisierungsverwaltung.

Re, die OMV-WebGUI führt auch nur ein "apt-get update" aus, und präsentiert das Ergebnis im Browser ... von daher ist es egal ob du die WebGUI benutzt oder die Commando-Zeile ... Updates sollten immer und recht zeitnah installiert werden, weil es…
  • Sc0rp -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x Update Best update-strategy on OMV3?.

Re, Quote from MSc: “If you dont update, you doesnt have a stable system! ” Nope, that's not correct - but you have an unsecure and scruffy system. I assume @Chris1234 is a pure Windows user ... And ... under OMV exist no "automatic updates", OMV will…
  • tkaiser -

Replied to the thread OMV for ROCK64 (and other RK3328 devices soon).

Quote from jata1: “have transferred data from my main Plex server to OMV/Rock64 - sustained write speed of 30MB/sec ” This is a horribly low transfer speed since at least 70 MB/s should be possible (when copying with Windows Explorer using Windows 7 or…
  • JSKershaw -

Replied to the thread Expand XFS Filesystem after adding a 5th Drive to RAID 5.

Thanks for your help. Just wanted to make sure I was headed down the right path. The FS has expanded without any issues. :)
  • tkaiser -

Quote from jata1: “Failed to fetch downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb/dists/./public/InRelease Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-arm64/Packages ” The fix is simple. You need to edit the respective file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and replace 'deb…
  • tkaiser -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x occasional EXT4-fs errors on attached (USB) drive.

Quote from cabrio_leo: “If EXT4 is not suitable ” Sorry for the confusion. I was especially talking about the situation with Raspberries above. EXT4 and XFS can be considered the two most robust filesystems available on Linux. But they both base on…
  • cabrio_leo -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x occasional EXT4-fs errors on attached (USB) drive.

Quote from tkaiser: “You combine 'worst possible hardware' (a toy called Raspberry Pi) with a filesystem that's only suitable for situations without hardware issues ” @tkaiser I am using two external USB drives for backing up my ZFS pool via USBbackup…
  • jata1 -

@tkaiser - My rock64 has arrived and I have installed the OMV 3 / jessie (armhf) image created by ayufan. All up and running and have transferred data from my main Plex server to OMV/Rock64 - sustained write speed of 30MB/sec which is 3x better than my…
  • tkaiser -

You combine 'worst possible hardware' (a toy called Raspberry Pi) with a filesystem that's only suitable for situations without hardware issues. The average OMV user seems to love silent bit rot since otherwise at least btrfs would be used to be able to…