openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Hello guys,
    after setting up jdownloader docker plugin, im looking for a way to install handbrake on my raspberry pi.
    im looking for some docker images, but they arent for arm, im googling like an hour, but cant find sth that works.

someone know an actual working handbrake installation on omv 4?

The cli version of handbrake would be fine enough :)
  • New

Hi

Having tried a number of NAS and home server distros I've settled on OMV on the basis I found it way more logical to set up than any of the others, and have installed it on an old HP Gen6 Microserver (NL40 model I think). I have two SATA drives drives - one for the OS and one for the data so no RAID at the moment. The data drive is a WD Green and this hosts the file shares.

The server has a 1Gbps LAN socket and it's connected by ethernet to router which incorporates 1Gb speed switch.

I've been testing the speeds for the SMB shares I have using a LAN testing app and I'm getting 221Mbps write and 287Mbps read speeds. How does that sound? I realise there is more to these speeds than simply expecting to get the full 1Gb of the card - the CPU speed etc. Should I be expecting more? If so are there any settings to play with to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance
  • New

Hi, I really need some advice on how to reorganize my disk space.
    I have a quite old OMV installation, always updated.
    I had 4*3tb Raid5.
    Then I added a 2*8tb Raid1.
    Having two different raid is a PITA though because I have one of them filled up and the other with plenty of space and I thought to switch to lvm, creating a lvm which included two raid. So I move some data around I freed up my Rais1 and I’m ready to start.
    Reading the forum I saw some of you discouraging the use of LVM.
    So what do you think is better to have a unique data space?
    Create only one raid1 device with the 8tb drives and adding all the 3tb devices two at a time?
    Is it possible to have such a configuration or I need all drives to be the same?

I would really like to know what do you think is the best solution.
    Thanks.
  • New

Hi,

My raid 6 array won't work on kernel higher than 4.14 bpo3.
    If I try 4.19, my Raid array block:

Source Code

1. Jan 18 14:59:52 BigNAS kernel: [ 363.708804] INFO: task md127_raid6:270 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    2. Jan 18 14:59:52 BigNAS kernel: [ 363.708873] Tainted: G U E 4.19.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 Debian 4.19.12-1~bpo9+1
    3. Jan 18 14:59:52 BigNAS kernel: [ 363.708953] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    4. Jan 18 14:59:52 BigNAS kernel: [ 363.709030] md127_raid6 D 0 270 2 0x80000000
    I try all 4.18 and 4.19 kernel and it block my Raid array
    The 4.14 kernel is no more available in OMVExtra on my OMV Gui
    Is there a way for reinstall this kernel??
    Thanks
  • New

Using the Web gui I can't seem to get rsync to work.

I am trying to backup my openmediavault box to another nas.

I keep getting an error no matter what I try.

Rsync error: permission denied, please try again.

Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
    Next authentication method: password
    Read_passphrase: can't open /dev/tty: no such device or address.
    Authentication that can continue: publickey,password
    Permission denied, please try again
    Read_passphrase: can't open /dev/tty: no such device or address
    Permission denied (publickey,password).

Unexplained error code 255.

I am using username/password to authenticate.

I have manually ssh to the remote nas from openmediavault and vise versa to get keys in the known host files.

Seems as though rsync does not like username and pass for authentication and wants to try publickey.

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Various problems getting started with Odroid HC (best practice)

Adoby

Virtualbox no vnc, mouse or keyboard access on new vm install

flmaxey

Move docker /var/lib/docker folder on external drive

mcgyver83

Cockpit

ovidiur

Need advice. Grow raid or LVM

striscio

Recent Activities

• Adoby -

Replied to the thread Various problems getting started with Odroid HC (best practice).

Another tip: I have discovered a path to happy and content co-existence with HDDs, HC2 and OMV! The path is the path of doing as little as possible. Not trying to figure out all the things possible to do or fiddle with. But instead trying to figure out…
  • flmaxey -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Virtualbox no vnc, mouse or keyboard access on new vm install.

Es ist alles gut. Wörter und ihre Bedeutung verlieren sich manchmal in der Übersetzung.
  • Adoby -

Replied to the thread Various problems getting started with Odroid HC (best practice).

Oh no!!! The Physical disk properties. The HORROR! OMV use hdparm to "send" settings to the HDD. But it seems that some HDDs are not compatible with hdparm. WD RED and Seagate Ironwolf for instance. At least in HC2. Changing ANY settings under Physical…
  • mcgyver83 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Move docker /var/lib/docker folder on external drive.

same issue just happened to me... Every containers disappeared :( I'll use @ivanovlk approach :(
  • ovidiur -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Cockpit.

I try to post here because it's omv and cockpit related. I successfully installed cockpit on omv 4. The problem is that if if click the refresh button on the Applications tab in cockpit I get this error: Source Code (2 lines)If I remove 'appstream' and…
  • striscio -

Replied to the thread OMV 0.4 Need advice. Grow raid or LVM.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe it's better to switch to ZFS? I used it on another file server and AFAIR is simpler to add couples of different disks (mirror) to grow the available space. I'm I right? I have a doubt about the RAM requirements of zfs: the…
  • budpad -

So why does OMV is having this feature. And why isn’t it showing green inside the GUI? Little bit confusing...
  • Mondi_86 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Virtualbox no vnc, mouse or keyboard access on new vm install.

Oh my God. I´m so dumb! Yes that was the Solution. Now i Have access. I was in the Configuration but everytime the Field for IP was not editable. I had to turn off the VM than i was able to edit the IP. Sorry. Typically Amateur Fault. Thank You!
  • maxiwan -

Replied to the thread OMV 1.0 How to Rsync two OMV-machines.

Really straightforward and clear easy set-up guide. Thank You very much. Max
  • EnergizerN -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x Handbrake for Raspberry Pi 3 B+.

Thread
    Hello guys, after setting up jdownloader docker plugin, im looking for a way to install handbrake on my raspberry pi. im looking for some docker images, but they arent for arm, im googling like an hour, but cant find sth that works. someone know an…