openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

I'm pretty overwhelmed here.... It was extremely easy to set up my RAID but it turns out one of the 4 drives is bad. Seems the GUI doesn't do much more than build RAIDs. I've been messing with various commands to remove the defective disk and replace it with a new one. I am totally at a loss on what to do.

I need to remove /dev/sde and replace it with /dev/sdb after it reboots. When I fail sde and remove it, the array says it isn't mounted. I'm not particularly handy with linux but I can google stuff. My googling has turned up a hundred different weird scenarios but not a hand-holding guide.

At the very least I managed to undo whatever dumb stuff I did by adding the damaged drive back to the array. It still works but it's getting SMART errors so I need to replace it.
  • New

Ok, I am one step on dropping this program in the "its shit" bin.

I have several shared folders and despite my ultra best efforts in setting user permissions the software will NOT let me save/alter files in a folder share unless I go into the ACL of a shared folder and toggle recursive permission. The problem is this is only temporary as within several hours I lose all write permissions and have to go in and do it again. I have to do this to any and every shared folder I want to write data too. Coming back the next day requires me to log back into the web console and toggle recursive permission all over again. This is NOT between reboots.

I upload via ftp under a created username (only have one) and at this point in attempt to figure out why write permissions are dropping I have elevated the permissions of the account to damn near root status. Ideas anyone?
  • New

Hello,
    I have a serious problem with an external USB Disk, I hope I can fix it with your help:

Until yesterday, I had an EXT4 formatted USB Harddrive attached to my Fritzbox for all kind of Data. Suddenly, various files vanished or had a size of 0 Byte.
    I thought it had something to do with the Fritzbox, so I attached the USB Drive to my omvault device, but had the same issues.
    I than run a "fsck.ext4 -f /dec/sda1" command on the drive. It found some problems and asked me if I want to repair them. (As I did)

But now I can´t see anything in the shared folder, but If I take a look into "File Systems" in the GUI, I can still see that there is an EXT4 filesystem present and the available size is 82 gib from 1,79 tib, so hopefully there is still data on the drive?

Can you give me some hints for accessing the data?

Thanks a lot,
    Philipp

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Can't update repositories error

budpad

Need to swap a dying disk in a RAID5

OMV keeps loosing write permissions after a couple hours.

flmaxey

Plex update available for days, why no update?

KM0201

Can two user accounts share one home directory?

Recent Activities

• budpad -

Replied to the thread Can't update repositories error.

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Remove the backports line from /etc/apt/sources.list. It was improperly added to the arm images. ” Also getting the warnings... Is it save to remove backports, when using an Odroid HC2? Or do I sometimes have to put them…
  • iav -

Liked tkaiser’s post in the thread Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?.

Like (Post)
    Quote from _John C: “Im using the Orange Pi Zero Plus and with your help Ive managed to switch Ethernet from GbE to Fast Ethernet (Thanks). ” Well, if you always want the OPi Zero Plus to operate at 100 MBits/sec then the normal OPi Zero might've…
  • thecheat001 -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x Need to swap a dying disk in a RAID5.

Thread
    I'm pretty overwhelmed here.... It was extremely easy to set up my RAID but it turns out one of the 4 drives is bad. Seems the GUI doesn't do much more than build RAIDs. I've been messing with various commands to remove the defective disk and replace it…
  • flmaxey -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x OMV keeps loosing write permissions after a couple hours..

There's two types of supported permissions: - Basic Linux permissions are based on Owner - Group - Others This is in the lower half of the capture below - Extended permissions (ACL's) set read, write, or no access based on name / group. This is in the…
  • KM0201 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Plex update available for days, why no update?.

Once you get the hang of using Docker containers.. you won't want to use anything else. They really are that simple. I practiced w/ a vm install of OMV before installing them on my server.
  • gderf -

I don't use VPN here, but the complaint you have with it is common and there are ways to work around it. Google "vpn split tunneling" for some pointers. For a primer on dockers see: OMV + Docker plugin media server (Plex, PlexPy, Ombi, Libresonic,
  • syoung1999 -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x Can two user accounts share one home directory?.

Thread
    OMV v4.1.15-1 (Arrakis) 5 PC's around my place all use "syoung" as logon name. New windoze 10 pc uses syoung@domainname.com. Is there anyway that I can get OMV to allow two user account to access one shared home folder? ie: two users: syoung &
  • rickyx -

Replied to the thread OMV 2.x LUKS disk encryption plugin.

• Fade2Gray -

Replied to the thread Docker prune now working to reclame space?.

Quote from geaves: “Quote from Fade2Gray: “I appreciate that however that command has not work in my OMV docker setup and still showing the amount reclaimable ” Then there could be an issue with your docker install, when you execute docker image…
  • corey5188 -

Quote from gderf: “Docker is like a virtual environment of sorts. It can appear to be a bit unwieldy at first, but there are guides available here on the OMV forum site that will show you the way. I use to have quite a few programs running on my OMV…