Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 393.

• If you do this, you need to use the openmedia-flashmemory plugin. By default, OMV writes a lot of data to the drive (mainly stats and logs) and flash memory (SD cards, USB sticks) do not like that and will cause a failure after a while. The plugin somewhat fixes that by writing to a ramdisk.

• mergerFS add disk

Nibb31 - - General

You need to change the policy. By default, files are only written to existing directories.

• A share on that drive is referenced somewhere. You need to go through all the pages of the OMV user interface and remove any references to shares on that drive. Then you can remove the shares. Once all shares on that drive are removed, you can unmount the drive.

• NAS - Time to choose

Nibb31 - - My NAS Build

Plex or Kodi are very different. Plex is client server software that relies on a powerful server to stream (and sometimes transcode) video to multiple light clients. Kodi runs on the client and reads media over SMB. So your hardware choice depends on your software choice. What's wrong with ext4 as a file system? RAID is not backup. It's a high availability solution, which is probably something that you don't need on a media server. There is no plugin for NextCloud any more, but there are instruc…

• Beginners questions

Nibb31 - - General

You can ignore Linux /home for Windows users. Just create a shared folder for each user with proper OMV permissions.

• RemoteMount - Where does it mount to

Nibb31 - - Plugins

OMV mounts everything in /srv. You can create a softlink if you need to point to a different location.

• Upgrade issue from 1.X to 3.X

Nibb31 - - Updates/Upgrades

You should really do a reinstall from scratch. Successfully upgrading from 2 to 3 is tricky enough, so 1 to 3 is basically doomed.

• Is there a Mergerfs Howto?

Nibb31 - - General

It doesn't span files over multiple drives. If there is not enough room to write a file one of the drives, then it won't.

• OMV as NAS and CrashPlan

Nibb31 - - General

OMV is Debian. No it won't work, not it's there any reason for anyone to want it to work, on a desktop OS.

• Is OMV for me?

Nibb31 - - General

OMV is a NAS operating system, therefore it is geared towards storage and network sharing. It runs on a headless Debian, so you won't lose anything. You will still be able to ssh and do everything you currently do. However for Plex, Minecraft, or video surveillance apps, it won't be of any help at all.

• SSD is fine. OMV is Debian, so you don't need another distro alongside it. You can also install OMV as a VM under ESXI or Proxmox, with other server-dedicated VMs alongside it. For cameras, I strongly recommend MotionEye. You can install it in OMV (manually from the command line) or in a VM or a Docker container.

• RE:

Nibb31 - - RAID

Quote from turziko: “ I don't have a NAS yet. I'm planning to build one and appear as ~15 GB single volume on my computer when connected. Can't do that without RAID or ZFS/BTRFS to merge several HD into one logical one. ... It appears that there is no solution that would allow me in case of failure plug the still undamaged disks into my computer one by one and recover what is still recoverable, be it RAID, ZFS or BTRFS.” Mergerfs?

• OMV data drives are usually mounted with the noexec flag, which means that programs won't run from them. I'm not sure if this applies to Windows on an SMB share. You can try removing the noexec flag from the /etc/fstab to see if that changes anything.

• It's normal that it takes a lot of time when there are many small files. Just let it finish. Only the first sync should be long. If those small files change often, then you might want to exclude the folder that contains them.

• Disk mirrorring doesn't protect your files from accidental deletion, viruses, data corruption. It also won't save you from physical data loss (stolen NAS, fire, flood, etc...). RAID is used mainly for high availability (the NAS keeps on running when a HDD has failed), but that is not usually a strong requirement for home users.

• Owncloud fully integrated in OMV

Nibb31 - - Plugins

Tu as crée les partages sur la page SMB/CIFS d'OMV ? Commence par là, et ensuite la création des utilisateurs OMV. Assigne les permissions d'écriture à chaque utilisateur dans OMV. Evite d'utiliser les permissions ACL. Ensuite, dans Nextcloud, tu crées tes utilisateurs Nextcloud, et pour chacun d'eux, tu connectes le partage SMB en utilisant le mot de passe d'OMV.

• Aren't they exactly the same? Why two names? Normally you create a mergerfs pool and then you create your shared folders inside it.

Nibb31 - - Plugins

He wants to set up NC to use OMV shares. I directed him to use the SMB mount feature because I'm not aware of a better way.

• Home NAS build, FS info

Nibb31 - - My NAS Build

RAID is not backup. It won't save you from malware, accidental deletion, file corruption, etc...

Nibb31 - - Plugins

Essaie d'installer smbclient en ligne de commande: sudo apt-get install smbclient