Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 486.

• Quote from flmaxey: “Quote from ryecoaaron: “You have to manually create the array and the filesystem. ” The implied usage would be, 1 partition on a disk is part of an array. The remainder (either unused or a 2nd file system partion), is not part of the array. Manually created or not, I'm amazed that this is possible. ” why are you amazed? I have done this setup before. not with OMV but it works. MDADM can use partitions as devices. you can not do this with hardware raid but with software raids…

• Web-based file explorer

vl1969 - - Plugins

Quote from macom: “Has somebody tried the eXtplorer? ” I do not believe it is available in version 3. it was never ported from version 2.

• SnapRAID - Multiple Pools?

vl1969 - - Plugins

well that is not how SnapRaid actually works you know the thing with snapraid is that when you loose more drive than can be recovered you only loosing data on those drives. the rest is still there and usable. i.e. let say you have 8 disks setup 1P(arity) + 7D(ata) this protects you for a single data drive loss. if you loose one data disk you can recover the data on it. if you loose 2 disks than what ever data was on those disks are lost, but data on the other 5 are still there and usable. so wit…

• SnapRAID - Multiple Pools?

vl1969 - - Plugins

not 100% understand what is the point in this setup. what you proposing is not having 2 parity disks setup but rather 2 pools with single parity disk each. why is it different from having a single pool with a single 4 TB parity? let see you have 4x2TB and 4x3 tb a single pool with 1x4TB parity will get you 20TB protected config. (2+2+2+2+4+4+4 ) = (8+12) = 20 your setup yelads you 18TB and loose you 2TB (2+2+2) = 6 (4+4+4) =12 and not only do you loose the 2TB in the process, but you add complex…

• [HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

vl1969 - - Plugins

you looking at it all wrong. SnapRaid sits on top of FS. you can use any FS you want on the drives and just put them into SnapRaid setup. it is a independent software that, to some degree, emulate raid functionality. same thing with MergerFS. it is not a file system per see, it is a software layer that aggregate a bunch of disks into a single presentable volume but works on top of existing FS. like an intermediary between them and user shares. what is great about both a snapraid and mergers is t…

• [HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

vl1969 - - Plugins

Quote from Ankh: “Hi, Got some strange issues with a fresh install. When adding drives, the pulldownmenu is empty. I wiped the hard drives but it doesn't matter. Any idea's? ” do you mean in SnapRaid tab? SnapRaid does not work with raw drives. it is kind of a "pseudo raid" and need an FS on the disk and disk mounted in the system.

• New to OMV: Need advice

vl1969 - - General

I am sure there are more experienced people here,and they will chime in with more detailed info. that said, yes there are several backup options that you can do in OMV. first thing first, just an FYI, when you setup OMV do not forget to install and setup OMVExtras plugin as soon as you can. OMV on it's own have very limited set of addons. most of plugins are maintained and distributed via OMVExtras repo and plugin interface. there is a backup plugin , and I do believe someone is working on anoth…

• New to OMV: Need advice

vl1969 - - General

still a bit vague... do you mean you want to have Debian setup with Desktop and run OMV ? if yes than it is not possible. OMV is not compatible with desktops. if you mean a server, headless install, it will work but do understand that OMV does a lot and some things are done differently compared to vanilla Debian, so you need to be very careful of what you doing in CLI. the best setup would be running OMV on its own, and use Plugins to extend functionality natively to OMV not Debian. it is still …

• Webbased file manager?

vl1969 - - General

I believe you can install midnight commander in CLI. there used to be an ExTplorer plugin but it was not ported to version 3

• a better filesystem?

vl1969 - - General

frankly I am not sure what it changes in terms of UUID or anything else. when I was testing this, a few years back, I used a simple VM with Linux Mint on it. and just run the conversion on system disk ,as the WiKi said I can do it it worked but if it changed UUID or not I am not sure.

• a better filesystem?

vl1969 - - General

guess the tool is not compatible with OMV I know I tested the conversion and it works great. the whole drive is converted online, on a live system. even if it is an OS drive. whole thing just keeps running and be usable throughout the process. but it was not OMV, just plain Linux distro, Mint if memory serves me right.

• a better filesystem?

vl1969 - - General

couldn't you just use btrfs-convert FAQ ?

• I would suggest to be safe, incase you don't have a backup, do a full copy of everything from your md disk while it still accessible. if I read your post correctly you only have about 2TB of data, do a full backup first thing. from your output, it doesn't seems like the drive is lost or got a different designation it just got dropped from array for some reason. so, next, as geaves suggested, identify your dropped drive and try adding it back to array "mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --re-add /dev/sda"si…

• Create thread or reply

vl1969 - - Off-Topic

I get this same behavior most of the time as well. however I usually open new window when responding so if I get an error ot it seams like post did not submit I just switch to the main window and refresh. if I see my post in the list I just close the bad window and go on.

• pjoyce42 >> not sure how much data are we talking abut here, but first thing first, and it might help with duplicates, go and get a nice external drive that can fit all your data. I have recently needed to configure my server, which BTW is still in shambles on the bench , but since I did not have any usable drives to use for backup I went out and bought a 5TB USB-3 Seagate dataStore and copy my data there. #1 I now have an extra copy of the files, #2. while I moved the data I deduped it greatly.…

• New to OMV, GUI or web interface?

vl1969 - - General

Quote from milfaddict: “Thanks for all your help. I guess I just didn't understand the IP configuration as well as I thought I did. I managed to get it working by entering a proper IP address of 192.168.0.90. ” that is a good news :-), now you can be on your way to proper setup of OMV. Quote from milfaddict: “Correct, my Norco server is turned off and not running. I have no idea why it is setup on port 81, I think was what Napp-it required although I don't really remember, it was a nearly two ye…

• I would say when you get your drives, record the drives Serial numbers than once plugged in CLI blkid will give you the data you need. maybe something on WebUI disks page will help also. depending on your case, try also record where each drives is located within the case. I have the SM 846 24 disk hot plug chassis , each is numbered so I can find things easy enough.

• nope, SnapRaid can support more then 6 drives, unless you mean 6 parity drives than yes it can only support hexa parity. 6 parity drives for up to 42 data disks with multi drive failure protection and I am sure you can go beyond recommended numbers Snapraid works different. here is some basic explanation from SnapRaid FAQ page for Single parity disk you can protect 2 to 4 data disks with a single disk failure protection. for 5 and more you need at least 2 parity disks. hence with single parity s…

vl1969 - - General

Quote from milfaddict: “#1 - D-Link DIR-855L 855 Emulator #2 - Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O 2.1 - 3 ports, 1 in use, I think it is the one above the USB ports. OmniOS (OpenSolaris) and Napp-it. 3# - Supermicro X8DTH-IF 4# - Connection - Static IP - 192.168.100.71 Mask - 255.255.255.0 GW - 192.168.0.1 DNS - 192.168.0.1 I have also trued leaving this blank. 5# - 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 This is the default range for this model. The link I have bookmarked for my Norco is 192.168.0.100:81. Should…

vl1969 - - General

would you mind posting some info for us? #1. Make / Model of your Router (I see from one of your posts it D-Link but nice to have a model) #2. Make / Model and config of your Norco MB 2.1. number of Ethernet ports and number of ports in-use. also OS installed #3. same as #2 but for your target OMV server setup. (again I deduce from earlier post you have 2 nic ports and only one is in use currently) #4. Post exactly what values you put in for network config in OMV #5. post your router DHCP range …