Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 513.

• RAID 6 Array (6x8TB) device Disappeared

tkaiser - - RAID

I'm a bit surprised that no one asked for logs or at least a quick check for cabling/connectiviy problems. The first thing I do when dealing with consumer grade NAS setups is always something like this Source Code (2 lines)If there's a huge log this is most probably the one flooded with 'ATA bus error', 'hard resetting link' and the other fun stuff talking about cable/connector issues and if there are disks with high 199 SMART values then these are the affected ones. This stuff (physical interco…

• Quote from dudeofx: “Did I forget something else? was it that easy? ” You might want to check the contents of /usr/bin/nand-sata-install since this is the tool of choice to avoid the complicated steps you went through. For anyone else: If you want to run your OMV installation off a HDD on any of the supported ARM boards*, just do a 'sudo nand-sata-install' and you're done. * known exceptions: Raspberries and ODROID-XU4/HC1 (on the latter you have to choose ext4 as target filesystem and exchange …

• Error mounting sambashare

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “I had a other raspian image, I booted that and entered my "bad" sd card in a usb card reader and inserted that in my pi. ” If you're already there think about cloning your SD card now (just like HDDs they'll all die so preparing for this is always a good idea): forum.armbian.com/index.php?/t…findComment&comment=21126

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “does anyone had a idea how to fix this? ” If it's really related to your fstab modification (/etc/mtab isn't adjustable) the most simply approach is to use a Linux system (your OMV Raspberry for example), an USB card reader, the card mounted there and reverting the change. If you don't have such an USB card reader but your Mac is a MacBook check for an SD card slot (they were equipped with such a thing a few years, IIRC it stopped in 2016). If there's an SD card slot you co…

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from flmaxey: “one could buy an exact model where BackBlaze's failure rate was at or close 0.0% (the WD or Toshiba models for example) and it might fail quickly. ” Exactly. Since the single disk you bought is not affected by Backblaze's statistics. It can fail right now or it can fail in 10 years. The only certainty involved is that it will fail for sure. It's only a matter of time when this will happen and a matter of strategy how to deal with this (100% disk capacity wasted for RAID-1 be…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “sudo mount //10.0.1.23/Shares/Muziek /mnt/samba/ -o username=user,password=password ” So this is stuff you could now add to /etc/fstab to make this persistent (check /etc/mtab on the Raspberry and add the nofail flag in any case!). If it's just enabling the connection on demand @geaves is right and this should work from the normal Raspbian GUI. But there exist countless reports that such 'GUI mounts' -- at least when relying on Gnome Virtual File System (gvfs) with version …

• BTRFS from Rockstor

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ness1602: “As for backups,i usually compress data before backing it up the chain. ” I believe we're talking about different things. I was referring to ZFS/btrfs features that allow already for 'good enough backup' capabilities simply by using features like snapshots and sending them to a separate device (can be a disk or an array both on the local host or even better on another machine that provides physical isolation). Creating snapshots with both ZFS/btrfs is easy and free. Once you…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “mount -t cifs //pinas.local/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2ZPJ9AF409434-part1/Shares /mnt/samba -o user=user,pass=pass ” You try to use the local mountpoint on the OMV box using CIFS which simply can not work. You can check on the OMV server the share's name using the 'testparm' command, on the Raspbian box using 'smbclient -L pinas.local -U user' or check on macOS with 'df' after you mounted the CIFS share there. The CIFS URI will consist of a single path …

• BTRFS from Rockstor

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ness1602: “You have scrub with mdadm,zfs,btrfs so you do that weekly and if something arises,get those backups up. ” Not sufficient unfortunately. The main difference between those three variants is that the anachronistic one from last century doesn't give a sh*t about data integrity. RAID-1 done my mdraid tries to write the same data to two chunks on two different devices. When it reads from an RAID-1 array it chooses one of the devices (you can partially influence where from eg. by …

• HDD won't spin down

tkaiser - - General

Quote from electrophile: “The HDD is connected to the RPi Model B ” That means USB and USB needs 'SCSI / ATA translation' (SAT) for stuff like hdparm/hdidle to work. Obviously the USB-to-SATA bridge in your disk enclosure is too old/crappy to support this (check lsusb output to get the idea which bridge your enclosure is using)

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Blabla: “Luck is still fundamental, but you can help your luck avoiding hdd with an higher failure rate. ” No. The few disks you want to buy are not affected by any statistic correlations that happen(ed) somewhere else (your disks really don't understand statistics and they don't know how/when they 'should' fail. That's not how things work). Statistics is hard to get, yes I agree.

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from ryecoaaron: “I never thought there would be such a disagreement with good published statistics. ” Statistics are interesting once sample size matches. If your sample size is way lower the numbers others collected are simply irrelevant.

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from macom: “if we assume that this is true the 10,000 disks can predict the propability of failure of two disks ” That's just weird and impossible. Sample size is too small. This is just a nice example of statistics misinterpreted totally You buy two disks. One fails after 1 hour, the other after 20 years. Longevity by statistic: ~10 years. The statistics you publish about your own disk usage is 'my disks last 10 years on average' (stupid anyway since... sample size too small). There's ZE…

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from macom: “every statistic has its limitation ” Yes, and that's whether it's relevant or not for your situation. Say backblaze has numbers for 100,000 disks and you want to buy just two (your sample sizes now varies just by factor 50,000). How does the statistic with a 100,000 sample size affects your own installation? In exactly no way since your two disks both know nothing about statistics. If you chose the 'best' model based on someone else analyzing 100,000 samples these 'best' disks…

• Sollte eigentlich reichen, alle Vorkommen von 'ftp.freenet.de' mit 'httpredir.debian.org' zu ersetzen, dann 'apt update' hinterher, nochmal probieren und dann Rückmeldung hier

• BTRFS from Rockstor

tkaiser - - General

Quote from flmaxey: “Along those lines, if BTRFS RAID1 ever comes out of beta, I'll adopt it. ” Why do you consider btrfs RAID1 'beta'? Please see btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph…le_Devices#Current_status (which might already be horribly outdated again). My only problem with btrfs is that almost all code lives inside the kernel so running outdated kernels is a no go with btrfs. In some situations the same applies to version of btrfs-progs (in other words: don't use btrfs at all with a default OMV…

• Which Sata Card?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from bookie56: “the advantages of Raid 10 are enticing.... ” When used with only 2 drives I agree (yes, almost nobody knows but mdraid can implement RAID 10 with just 2 drives and takes care about both redundancy and speed). I can imagine some rare use cases where I would be interested in this but with 4 drives and as in your case with 'cold data' I would more probably go with RAID5 instead if I would use anachronistic RAID (which I don't do since it's 2017). I care about data integrity an…

• BTRFS from Rockstor

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ness1602: “1. If a disk within mdadm RAID1 is dying and data is getting bad,you just pull out disk(physically or via -f ) and then you've got ok copy.Tried and tested 2.If you're afraid about the data,but don't have enough money for dist-filesystem then you just have to be good at making backups. ” Unfortunately you totally missed the point: it was about avoiding 'bit rot' and taking care of data integrity. RAID-1 as done by mdraid is a concept from last century when we weren't able t…

• Which Sata Card?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

According to your link above the mainboard has 6 SATA ports so using 2 cheap eSATA to SATA cables and you can use 6 disks in total. Then you need only a single or dual SATA card to attach the new 10TB backup drive to keep your data safe. Or do you use an external USB disk for this purpose or even another host where you transfer backups too? BTW: 'mdadm raid 10' sounds like a very special use case. What's the use case for this array?

• Raid5 Error

tkaiser - - Guides

Quote from jwiles68: “I knew I'd run into problems, and I wanted to work through them. ” Well, 'unexpected failure opening /dev/md0' -- this is what the try to create the array already results in. Raspberries are prone to underpowering issues so if already creation of an array fails... what to expect next? I suggested to you executing raspimon for a reason -- to be able to learn something (at least avoiding this platform for anything serious wrt storage). If you use latest official OMV image for…