Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 88.

• Re, it's routing, so consult at first: route -n on your Linux boxes - then you'll see ... but it should only work to the "next hop" adresses. I assume you have the construct NAS1 <-DAC-> Windows-PC <-DAC-> NAS2 - so you can not ping from NAS1 to NAS2, right? Sc0rp

• RAID 6 Array (6x8TB) device Disappeared

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, may be you ran into some very special problems regarding DCB's. Once you used the Adaptec-Card, it has surely written it's DCB (even it was JBOD) on all disks ... normally first 4k on each disk. Then you made the Superblock (so called DCB by mdadm) on top - and after that magic failing upgrade you change the controllercard ... i assume mdadm cannot find his superblock anymore, and it seems that Linux can not find any partition (related) info too. So i'll go with @tkaiser: in your case it see…

• Raid 5 gone after reboot

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from Drake008: “Is there a way to scan for HDD errors whilst creating the Raid? ” More than one i assume ... - smartctl should be running deamonized (ps -ef | grep smart to check) - smartctl -a /dev/sda (alter "a" for b,c,d,e,...) if you have a suspect (output is very long) - tail -f /var/log/messages (on a second console) - may be you configure email reporting on your box too - it's working for me (and it's fast) While building (rebuilding, syncing, resyncing) an array, mdadm takes ca…

• Omv: two interfaces as gateway.

Sc0rp - - Network

Re, i'll not make a complete documentation over network security at all - sry, no time for that ;). Just take my complains and check what is more important for you: simpliness or security. - Best construct for security is a dedicated Dual-NIC in a vm-environment (kvm preferred). - The easiest way for your issue, is to split the NIC into logical units - making at least an eth0.1 device, which transports the traffic upstream. Then you have only to NAT (or technically correct PAT) your office lan v…

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Since the log was after reboot, i find only these lines: syslog/messages: Sep 19 10:41:02 NAS kernel: [ 4.553638] md: kicking non-fresh sdc from array! *1) Sep 19 10:41:02 NAS kernel: [ 4.553660] md: unbind<sdc> ... in these logs is no issue, which points at the drive failures ... And the line from your commands after reboot talks the same: mdadm: forcing event count in /dev/sdc(2) from 46700 upto 46712 *1) *1) every member of an array gots an (individual) eventcounter - if this counter is o…

• Which Sata Card?

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, i assume, that @tkaiser is to much "pro" - I wouldn't recommend ZFS for normal use at all. Basically you have to learn, how ZFS is organized and what you have tot do, to extend your box with additional drives - the layout of ZFS is often missunderstood, which leads to the most user-complains about "how i can add a drive to my ZFS" (it is not trivial). BTRFS is new, and the RAID-Code is not "production ready" - I waiting for that. I'm using RAID since about 20 years and i'm a little bit "scar…

• Re, so you have to alter the KRT (kernel routing table) if not done already, or use "host routes" (will be derived from hosts-file). And maybe you have to add a forwarding-rule in iptabels too ... Sc0rp

• Which hard drive?

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, Quote from ryecoaaron: “What? They are using them for storage and it shows drive quality and longevity under harsher conditions. ” But read it very carefully, the "worst" drive in the report is a "ST4000DM001" ... which is suggested as a pure desktop consumer product ... yeah, of course it fails more often in BlakeBlaze's environment ... look at the specs of the ST6000DX000 and the ST4000DX000 too ... Anyway, you have to take into account the complete statistics: drive days and the overall c…

• Which Sata Card?

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Hi, i'm not sure about the RAID Lvl10 construct ... it has probably less cpu utilization than RAID6, but with the disadvantage of adding pairs of drives instead of only one in case of RAID6. The overall speed remains the same, same to the redundancy. Anyway, i use the IOcrest Controllers too, look at the thread Which RAID or HBA card ... there you'll find all necessary informations and links (even to Amazon - look at the warehouse deals in Sweden). Sc0rp

• Hi, did you made additions to the hosts-file on your boxes? Sc0rp

• Omv: two interfaces as gateway.

Sc0rp - - Network

Hi, yes, that's possible ... search for "linux iptables nat" in your preferred engine. (e.g. revsys.com/writings/quicktips/nat.html) But keep in mind, that you have to install a dns-proxy as well, and a dhcp-server too ... and the concept is not secure at all, better use a dual-nic in an vm-environment for routing (and firewalling). Sc0rp

Sc0rp - - RAID

Hi, it seems your RAID did'nt suffer from multiple failures: md127 : inactive sdb[1] sda[4](S) sdd[3] <- (S) indicates a spare drive, while sdc is completly missing ... So it seems to me, that sda has lost some DCB informations and sdc is not reliable enough for RAID ... Anyway, you forced the drives to work in a RAID - and so you got two issues: - the RAID will now try to recover itself (gain a sync-status at all), starting immediately recovering/resyncing - blocks (data) with wrong CRC's will …

• Which RAID or HBA card

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, If Portmultiplying is important (or even intresting) for you, don't buy a "consumer HBA" - instead - buy a (professional) Port-Multiplying system or the consumer variant an use it in conjunction with your onboard SATA-ports (this kind of controllers don't use PCIe-lsots at all!) Sc0rp EDIT/ps: but don't cry about the performance then

• Which RAID or HBA card

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, Quote from drdownload: “@Sc0rp: I also have exactly this card in my cart, ” Yeah, but be aware of the port multiplier thing in this build - it seems, that the Marvell 88SE9215 generates 3 SATA-ports. while the Marvel 88SM9705 multiplies one port of the Marvell 88SE9215 to the other five SATA-ports ... Sc0rp

• Which RAID or HBA card

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, why not the SD-PEX40104? (Amazon-Link) (it comes with 8 SATA-ports on a PCIe x1 v2.0 interface). (but beware, it is build with port multiplier Marvel 88SM9705 ...) As i wrote before, i have the SI-PEX40064 in my 24/7 NAS-box (4x6TB WD Red in RAID5) and the "older" SI-PEX40071 in my Test-NAS-box with various constellations. Both are working flawlessly. Sc0rp

• Which RAID or HBA card

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, Quote from drdownload: “With these drives even the 1x PCIe3 port has enough bandwidth to host the ASM1062 with 5 drives. ” Marvel and ASM have only a PCIe v2.0 Interface ... but bandwith is not an issue here, and (of course) the true SATA speed is equal to both. Quote from drdownload: “When powersave/spin down works, my server uses about 70w. In this setup the 10-15w for a RAID card make a difference. I assume a stupid HBA will not use more then 5w. ” Same on my NAS box (8 HDDs in 2x RAID5) …

• Which RAID or HBA card

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, you're right with the time issue, i looked into this "hörensagen" and remember this site: illumos.org/issues/3797 was the most important for me - all of the bugs were cleared in 2014, yes ... but reading this is horrible for normal home users, even it seems to be over ... i dont read strange things about the marvell's. And besides the "Hörensagen" ... the Marvel 88SE9215 is a true 4-Port Chip, while ASM1062 has only two ports. Sc0rp

• Which RAID or HBA card

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Re, since i moderate the german Technikaffe.de-forum, i had a lot of readings while searching for the best solution to step up the portcount in NAS builds ... and what i found via GIDF regarding the ASM1062 was even worse, aprox. 30% of use cases got problems with it - in most cases while clue'ed onboard, but others reclaimed problems witch dedicated controllers too. I don't read it all until totally deepness ... but i found easily a better solution with Syba. And some members of the forum too .…

• Which RAID or HBA card

Sc0rp - - My NAS Build

Hi, since the ASM1062 is only a two port controller, it would not help you. Further, the ASM1062 is not performing good and have some problems in some setups ... My recommendation are Syba's controllers, now a brand of IOcrest. I have the SI-PEX40064 (4 Port) and the SI-PEX40071 (8 Port) in use ... both without RAID, only HBA functionality. Sc0rp

• Re, it depends ... on which drive the resync started. If the resync-causing error comes from drive sdb, the you can change that drive - but you have to be very careful! (1st you have to mark the drive manually as "failed" the wait until the array calms down ... then swap and rebuild ...) Check the logs, what causes the resync and check the logs for (other) drive errors ... then backup your data and then you can try to swap the drive. Sc0rp