Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 526.

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

Quote from N3ST: “Quick question is it possible to upgrade the firmware from 4.9.37 to 4.9.46 or will I have to reinstall everything from scratch? ” That's the kernel, not 'firmware' Yes, can be updated on the image with 'apt upgrade' but currently Armbian has not provided new kernel packages. I run with a more recent version since I tested out Anand Moon's patch to improve USB3 stability: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php…&t=27548&start=50#p201153 Igor (Armbian core dev and maintaining the apt rep…

• RAID 6 Array (6x8TB) device Disappeared

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from calvin940: “I'll let you know how plan B goes (but really I think the probability is not on my side) ” Well, based on what you reported it seems the Adaptec ate vital information on all your disks Quote from calvin940: “OR... SHOULD I GO 4.x?? ” I had no issues when testing around but can't comment on stability.

• Quote from dudeofx: “I noticed it didn't delete the 1st time boot file either, soo yea I am guessing something malfunctioned ” Yep, smells like filesystem corrupted and already set to read-only. Wrt HDMI I don't know, it should work but the last time I attached a display to one of my A20 boards was back in 2015. And I won't waste time on trying out since using these images headless is the best idea anyway.

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from votdev: “Please summarize the issue in a feature request or here. ” I'll meditate on this two more days, then send a feature request. Bash and not Python since I realized a decade ago that I should only do prototyping/scripting instead of real coding since in every customer project so far the coders asked two or at least one question that I would've never thought about since already 'too much into'. One absurd side effect: If you need someone experienced with both AppleScript and Unix…

• Quote from parek: “Please can you help me to resolve this issue? ” You installed Apache? At least a web search for the message you posted indicates this OMV 1.08 - No Webgui - Shares OK - SSH OK

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from ryecoaaron: “So, add it to the ever-growing list of things people should provide when their array is missing/degraded - Degraded or missing raid array questions. ” Hehe, I totally forgot that I can edit posts Anyway: I would like to follow another path we recently talked about. More logging and a tool to ease submitting such debug info (in a somewhat similar fashion that armbianmonitor combined with armhwinfo on the ARM devices already do). In Armbian the armhwinfo service gets called…

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Marry_Pi: “what is the max capacity of RAID can be built up on a smal ARM development board? Like RPi or Odroid, e.g... I, personally, have recentelytried 1TB, but I wonderwhere are the limits... ” While this question doesn't really fit in this thread and I've seen some smarter marketing attempts already (Eltech can do better!) the answer is easy: when playing RAID with toys like Raspberries or ODROIDs the maximum RAID capacity is only limited by your own imagination: the maximum amou…

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from calvin940: “sprunge.us/gOjj -- Not a lot there unfortunately ” Yep, but all disks show up with 15628053168 sectors in size. So in case you attach them back to the Adaptec please check the log and update the thread (or even better record output from 'gdisk -l /dev/sdb' with the Marvell controller now and the Adaptec then).

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Sc0rp: “Once you used the Adaptec-Card, it has surely written it's DCB (even it was JBOD) on all disks ... normally first 4k on each disk. Then you made the Superblock (so called DCB by mdadm) on top - and after that magic failing upgrade you change the controllercard ... ” Is it possible that the Adaptec changed disk geometry (possibly hiding sectors from the beginning of the disk since used 'internally')? Just asking since I'm currently fighting against a stupid USB-to-SATA bridge w…

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from calvin940: “I don't know what the process is when they perform a refurb and whether or not they would reset those values. ” Well, resetting this parameter would almost be evil since this can be considered some sort of a health indicator on those WD desktop/mobile drives. If I were you I would try to adjust the behaviour: idle3-tools.sourceforge.net And usually I'm not that concerned if the LCC value is somewhat high but above 2 million is IMO alarming. Unfortunately no ideas how to pr…

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from calvin940: “sprunge.us/EdgM ” All fine except your boot disk which is IMO the next failure candidate (check SMART attribute 193, be aware that specs talk about 600,000 and do a web search for 'wdd lcc problem').

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from calvin940: “What other information can I provide? ” Log file excerpts aren't useful since filtered. And full SMART info for one drive is also somewhat useless when it's about checking all disks I already posted two commands above and the below for example would put all SMART info of all of your drives to an online pasteboard service: Source Code (1 line)

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Sc0rp: “So i'll go with @tkaiser: in your case it seems to be a cabling issue ... ” I only recommended to always check this first since symptoms of 'failing disk' and 'faulty cabling / connector issues' are pretty similar. And since we're not dealing with a proprietary RAID box but a normal Linux host checking logs is always a good idea (what happened with sdb for example). Since you mentioned powering: yeah, that's always worth a check too. I remember 'funny' stories from a colleague…

tkaiser - - RAID

I'm a bit surprised that no one asked for logs or at least a quick check for cabling/connectiviy problems. The first thing I do when dealing with consumer grade NAS setups is always something like this Source Code (2 lines)If there's a huge log this is most probably the one flooded with 'ATA bus error', 'hard resetting link' and the other fun stuff talking about cable/connector issues and if there are disks with high 199 SMART values then these are the affected ones. This stuff (physical interco…

• Quote from dudeofx: “Did I forget something else? was it that easy? ” You might want to check the contents of /usr/bin/nand-sata-install since this is the tool of choice to avoid the complicated steps you went through. For anyone else: If you want to run your OMV installation off a HDD on any of the supported ARM boards*, just do a 'sudo nand-sata-install' and you're done. * known exceptions: Raspberries and ODROID-XU4/HC1 (on the latter you have to choose ext4 as target filesystem and exchange …

• Error mounting sambashare

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “I had a other raspian image, I booted that and entered my "bad" sd card in a usb card reader and inserted that in my pi. ” If you're already there think about cloning your SD card now (just like HDDs they'll all die so preparing for this is always a good idea): forum.armbian.com/index.php?/t…findComment&comment=21126

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “does anyone had a idea how to fix this? ” If it's really related to your fstab modification (/etc/mtab isn't adjustable) the most simply approach is to use a Linux system (your OMV Raspberry for example), an USB card reader, the card mounted there and reverting the change. If you don't have such an USB card reader but your Mac is a MacBook check for an SD card slot (they were equipped with such a thing a few years, IIRC it stopped in 2016). If there's an SD card slot you co…

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from flmaxey: “one could buy an exact model where BackBlaze's failure rate was at or close 0.0% (the WD or Toshiba models for example) and it might fail quickly. ” Exactly. Since the single disk you bought is not affected by Backblaze's statistics. It can fail right now or it can fail in 10 years. The only certainty involved is that it will fail for sure. It's only a matter of time when this will happen and a matter of strategy how to deal with this (100% disk capacity wasted for RAID-1 be…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “sudo mount //10.0.1.23/Shares/Muziek /mnt/samba/ -o username=user,password=password ” So this is stuff you could now add to /etc/fstab to make this persistent (check /etc/mtab on the Raspberry and add the nofail flag in any case!). If it's just enabling the connection on demand @geaves is right and this should work from the normal Raspbian GUI. But there exist countless reports that such 'GUI mounts' -- at least when relying on Gnome Virtual File System (gvfs) with version …

• BTRFS from Rockstor

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ness1602: “As for backups,i usually compress data before backing it up the chain. ” I believe we're talking about different things. I was referring to ZFS/btrfs features that allow already for 'good enough backup' capabilities simply by using features like snapshots and sending them to a separate device (can be a disk or an array both on the local host or even better on another machine that provides physical isolation). Creating snapshots with both ZFS/btrfs is easy and free. Once you…