Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 540.

• Quote from markeagles4: “maybe some files are a little corrupt on install ” What's the output from the following running as root? Source Code (1 line)

• This is how I install OMV on any random Debian out there: Source Code (2 lines)Menu driven installation checking Debian version and then either installing OMV 3 or 4 (since it's insane to run OMV 2.x based on Debian Wheezy in 2017). Look like this then: OMV 4 image for Raspberrypi

• Solved? OMV and software raid 5

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from bookie56: “however, have been reading a lot of horror stories about resyncing after replacing a damaged drive.... ” So you neither got @ness1602 part about 'backup' nor 'Raid0' (there 'resync' isn't an issue at all). I've the strong feeling your data will remain at high risk regardless what you do BTW: Not 'horror stories' are important but you understanding the chosen technological approach and then either implementing it correctly or avoid it. 'Implementing correctly' means testing …

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from bookie56: “A good hardware raid is ” ...called 'a single point of failure' -- you need at least two of these RAID controllers to be safe, you need to test all scenarios that are possible (you don't know what that is if you're not storage professional with a few years of experience). Nobody does this since the only reason why most people think about RAID is a good feeling since 'something with redudancy'. Quote from bookie56: “please tell me what you recommend and why.... ” Only recomm…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from weebnuts: “Software Raid5 is dangerous ” No. But joining RAID threads is

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from weebnuts: “Hardware Raid5 is much better ” 'Better'? No. It's just a different attempt to loose all your data if you don't care about backup (which a lot of OMV users do for reasons unknown to me). BTW: RAID5 was suitable for some use cases back in last century. Today it's used mostly for psychological reasons (providing a good feeling since 'something done for $redundancy' without spending much thoughts on anything)

• Which RAID or HBA card

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from rabudde: “Yes, I meant it's a link aggregation, i.e. LACP, with 2GBit/s. Why would then a single link be the bottleneck? ” Since LACP/bonding/trunking works this way. It's not a magic bandwidth increase but just a link distribution / failover algorithm. We should never talk about '2GBit/s' when using a bond with 2 links since it's really just 2 x 1 GBit/sec. Same when you use 3 or 5 links, then it's just 3 x 1 GBit/sec or 5 x 1 GBit/sec. A true 5GbE connection is something completely …

• Which RAID or HBA card

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Sc0rp: “awwww, come on, @tkaiser ... it is a bond of two 1GbE-interfaces - what else? ” If it's a bond (link aggregation) then why being concerned about getting 170/200 MB/s at the storage layer if the network is bottlenecked by single link Gigabit Ethernet speed anyway? If we would talk about something else than bonding (eg. SMB Multichannel or SAN stuff like multipathing) I would understand talking about a '2GB LAN interface' but link aggregation / bonding does NOT work this way

• Which RAID or HBA card

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from rabudde: “I can copy data inside RAID volume with round about 170-200MB/s so I can satisfy my 2GB LAN interface ” What is a 2GB LAN interface? I know 1GbE and next 2.5GbE but nothing in between (already asked that back then but you chose to ignore. Why?)

• Quote from tkaiser: “With ODROID-C2 I run into the problem that with mainline kernel I don't have USB access ” Good news: github.com/armbian/build/issues/780

• Error mounting sambashare

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “Ill install homebrew end ddrescue ” It's a matter of minutes, ddrescue will tell you if there is any reading trouble and performance is also great. The card reader in my MacBook writes/reads with up to 80MB/s and ddrescue on average reads with ~40MB/s (though different story since the card reader is passed through to a Linux virtual machine that checks the OS images directly after)

• Error mounting sambashare

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from raffie77: “I found a real nice article about how to clone your SD card with a mac: link ” O no, this is just a compilation how NOT to do it. - Using dd is always wrong - using /dev/diskX instead of /dev/rdiskX is always wrong - 'formatting' a card in any way when it will be completely overwritten in the next step is always wrong since just a waste of time - when playing with dd not using at least 'bs=1m' is always wrong (takes ages for nothing since reading only 512 byte at a time) Be…

• Suggestions on setup

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Wrenchit2: “I stand corrected and I thank you for correcting me and the new knowledge I have just gained. ” Nah, could've been me just babbling so a reference and an explanation - Why ZFS is the better choice even if one doesn't want to afford ECC DRAM (and why the 'scrub of death' is a myth): jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-…n-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/ - The 'you need at least 8GB DRAM for ZFS' is official FreeNAS requirement (which I can understand from a support point of view since mos…

• Suggestions on setup

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Wrenchit2: ““ZFS”This solution requires 8GB ECC ram ” No. Doesn't become more true if repeated over and over again. While it's a reasonable recommendation neither the 8GB nor the ECC DRAM is a hard requirement for ZFS. It would be really nice if people could stop copy&pasting wrong information from the past over and over again.

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

Quote from N3ST: “Quick question is it possible to upgrade the firmware from 4.9.37 to 4.9.46 or will I have to reinstall everything from scratch? ” That's the kernel, not 'firmware' Yes, can be updated on the image with 'apt upgrade' but currently Armbian has not provided new kernel packages. I run with a more recent version since I tested out Anand Moon's patch to improve USB3 stability: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php…&t=27548&start=50#p201153 Igor (Armbian core dev and maintaining the apt rep…

• RAID 6 Array (6x8TB) device Disappeared

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from calvin940: “I'll let you know how plan B goes (but really I think the probability is not on my side) ” Well, based on what you reported it seems the Adaptec ate vital information on all your disks Quote from calvin940: “OR... SHOULD I GO 4.x?? ” I had no issues when testing around but can't comment on stability.

• Quote from dudeofx: “I noticed it didn't delete the 1st time boot file either, soo yea I am guessing something malfunctioned ” Yep, smells like filesystem corrupted and already set to read-only. Wrt HDMI I don't know, it should work but the last time I attached a display to one of my A20 boards was back in 2015. And I won't waste time on trying out since using these images headless is the best idea anyway.

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from votdev: “Please summarize the issue in a feature request or here. ” I'll meditate on this two more days, then send a feature request. Bash and not Python since I realized a decade ago that I should only do prototyping/scripting instead of real coding since in every customer project so far the coders asked two or at least one question that I would've never thought about since already 'too much into'. One absurd side effect: If you need someone experienced with both AppleScript and Unix…

• Quote from parek: “Please can you help me to resolve this issue? ” You installed Apache? At least a web search for the message you posted indicates this OMV 1.08 - No Webgui - Shares OK - SSH OK

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from ryecoaaron: “So, add it to the ever-growing list of things people should provide when their array is missing/degraded - Degraded or missing raid array questions. ” Hehe, I totally forgot that I can edit posts Anyway: I would like to follow another path we recently talked about. More logging and a tool to ease submitting such debug info (in a somewhat similar fashion that armbianmonitor combined with armhwinfo on the ARM devices already do). In Armbian the armhwinfo service gets called…