Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 483.

• Hi guys, I now was absent this forum for a long time and need some consulting on storage myself. I for myself live still in the old world, where Raid+LVM+FS is a great thing. I still believe in the strength of it and in the pros it comes with. Of cause I also know the downsides of it. In other words, I am expert level knowhow on the old school thing. However, I am not sure if that is today still the best way for the use case of my NAS. So I am looking into some consulting from you guys, about ho…

• Using the system disk as also disk for storage (shared etc) is not supported out of the box. There is a long thread regarding this topic with a brief explanation on the start. How to partition and use OMV system disk for user data But again, this is not supported out of the box and should be done only by advanced users. The better way is to run OMV from an USB Stick (please activate the plugin for USB sticks - openmediavault-flashmemory) and to use your disk as the data disk only (no system on i…

• Nach Neustart kein Raid 5 mehr

SerErris - - RAID

Also ich kann hier nur auf den 1. Therad referenzieren. Da steht ein Teil der Antwort was auf jeden Fall mal falsch ist, und gerne auch immer wieder falsch gemacht wird. Grundsatz: Auf Platten die ausschließlich in einem Raidverbund sollen, gehören im Grundsatz keine Partitionen, ja noch nicht mal eine Partitionstabelle. Das Problem besteht mit Sicherheit darin, daß mdadm nicht dir richtigen Partitionen scanned und sicher keine mit GPT. Auffällig ist schon , daß blkid nichts anzeigt von den Plat…

• RAID question

SerErris - - RAID

It is possible in the following steps (generic, and you need a lot of knowledge on raid to do it correct). 1. Change your raid from raid5 to raid 6. You need one additional disk for it. ewams.net/?date=2013/05/02&vie…g_RAID5_to_RAID6_in_mdadm 2. upgrade all disks in your raid from 2TB to 4TB.1. fail 1 active disk in your raid. Raid is now degraded 2. Replace the failed disk with the bigger one. 3. Reintegrate the disk into raid and start rebuild. 4. After rebuild has finished start over from 1 u…

• Raid ausbauen

SerErris - - RAID

Nur um es noch mal klar zu stellen: Raid Clean - heißt: Das Raid ist okay und ist korrekt erkannt worden. Nach Neuinstallation müssen alle User neu erstellt werden (die sind nicht auf dem Raid) und dann auch noch die UIDs/GIDs der Ordnerstrukturen angepasst werden. Guck Dir mal die Berechtigungen im Filesystem in Frage an (ls -l directory). Dann stehen da die UIDs/GIDs drin. Wenn die nicht mit den Usern des ftp zusammenpassen dann must Du noch einen chown drüber jagen. z.B. chown -r ftpuser:ftpg…

• Growing RAID 6 with OMV (MDADM)

SerErris - - RAID

OMV itself does recognize the grown MD size. Hoever you need to grow your filesystem on it as well. You can do this in OMV section OMV->Storage->File Systems If you select the File System you can grow it. The Risk of the mdadm operation is the same regardless of Raid6/5. Also I do not really see the risk in there. The activity incorporates to recalculate the parity for all data area, to reflect the number of disks in this raid. The only risk might be a complete power loss. I have not tested it, …

• Probleme mit RAID

SerErris - - RAID

Sieht eigentlich gut aus. kannst du mal die mdadm.conf schicken? Kann es sein, daß nicht alle Platten gescannt werden, oder eben zufällig welche zum Scanzeitpunkt nicht vorhanden sind? Wird bei Dir das md zum Bootzeitpunkt erkannt, oder erst im späteren Init? Evtl. würde es helfen es von Boot auf Init umzustellen, da die Hardware ggfs. zum Bootzeitpunkt nicht alle drives zuverlässig schon parat hat.

• extend mirror from a not wiped HDD

SerErris - - RAID

I believe that is related to this thread: Raid1 hardware or software? So my first guess would be: He is trying to run a raid1 on from the OS disk. That is not supported - end of story. The other thread is dealing with it. Once you have installed the OS on the USB/Flash drive, you should be able to wipe both HDDs. Find out the name of the disks (e.g. sda/sdb) and then overwrite the first two MB with DATA like: WARNING: ALL DATA ON BOTH DISKS ARE LOST FOREVER! dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda size=2M d…

• My thoughts about... RAID

SerErris - - RAID

I am using RAID. There are good reasons for it as well. It is my first line of defense against hardware related (yes redundancy) data loss. I am using RAIDs now for years and I never run into an issue affecting my data. It also was the enabler for me to grow my NAS from 6 TB Netto capacity to 12 TB netto capacity by simply exchanging the disks from 2TB disks to 4TB disks one by one. That is quite easy if you understand the concept. I agree that you should not use RAID if you do not understand th…

• RAID on partitions, with boot disk

SerErris - - RAID

you have to create id manually as OMV does not allow and manage any data on your boot device (sda). Beware, this can destroy everything, if you do it wrong or make a typo in it. You can create a raid on those partitions like that: Source Code (2 lines) After rescanning you should see a RAID array within the OMV GUI.

• I like to propose to use a different tool for benchmarking - called dt. It is kind of a dd, but gives you the data directly as an analysis and output. You can find it here (very old nowadays) with a linux intel compiled version of it: scsifaq.org/RMiller_Tools/dt.html I have written a test procedure somewhere in the RAID section. Regards Ser

• I am using those settings in physical disk settings, but I am not sure if this works for USB disks as well: Advanced Power Management: 64 Accoustic Management: Deactivated Spindown Time: 30 Minutes Disc Cache: Deactivated Reasoning (and yours might lead to different settings): I am using my NAS mainly as a repository for media files. Therfore I use it from a time perspective in blocks. Write Cache is deactiveated as the drives are running in a RAID and I will not survive with individual drive ca…

• HPE Proliant Servers

SerErris - - My NAS Build

There are no Raid drivers. The Microservers do not come with a hardware RAID and therefore you simply use the Linux Softwareraid. That is good, cause you do not need to deal with any drivers. Regards Ser

• Subzero79 is right. You need to grow your volume in LVM first and then you can grow the ext3. Commandline: Source Code (1 line) After that you need to resize your ext3 with: Source Code (1 line) That should do the job.

• weird SET environment in OMV

SerErris - - General

Okay it is from /usr/share/bash-completion/bash-completion I am not sure what it is and why it is there ... but it looks like it came with the Wheezy installation ... I did not use the krazileg image at that time, I installed from debian and put OMV on top of it (if I remember right). Anyone can confirm that? When I try to deinstall ... it looks like it came with the plugins. If I try to uninstall, it want to remove the following packages... Source Code (6 lines) Should I reinstall with Image pe…

• weird SET environment in OMV

SerErris - - General

No idea.... Need to find out where it comes from. The only thing I have installed is a custom sickbeard.

• Help moving to new server

SerErris - - RAID

You should not use the build in raid controller. If you do so, you need to backup all your data, then build you raid and then restore everything afterwords. Also you need Debian Wheezy drivers (or backport kernel) for that Raid controller ... not sure if they are available. The easiest thing is to move the drives over to the new server - done. OMV will recognize the raid after boot.

• Upgrade RAID 5 auf RAID6

SerErris - - RAID

Also, 1. Raid6 erhöht die Ausfallsicherheit von Raid. Es können zwei Platten kaputt gehen, bevor es zu Datenverlust kommt. 2. Du kannst zwei RAID5 zusammenhängen, dazu müsstest Du LVM installieren und die Daten umwandeln. Leider kann man ein Filesystem nicht umwandeln - Du müsstest also erst alle Daten umziehen ... nicht gut. 3. Du kannst ein Raid5 in ein Raid6 umwandeln und auch wachsen lassen ... siehe Link oben

• Recreate RAID10 after OS disk failure

SerErris - - RAID

First what I understand from all the things you wrote: You do not have a raid 10. IT looks like you have 2 Raid 1s (one for ext4 and one for swap). (whatever might be the reason to put swap on the raid ... ). My best advise would be: 1. Power down your system 2. unplug all raid drives 3. power on with only boot device attached 4. reinstall OMV 5. retry to see your raid.

• Unable to resize

SerErris - - RAID

wow ... that was dangerous .... the real thing would have been with parted: Source Code (2 lines) now note down the start of your partition Source Code (1 line) BTW: you do not have Raid protection on your drive - you should only have 12 TB with Raid5 ... You obviously have Raid0 which leads to a total data loss in case one of your 4 drives fail.