Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 401.

• Wow.. Looking at the above on a new day, well,, I guess I need to learn not to hold back!

• Quote from geaves: “I'm nearly there, but I have to agree with what you say it's always the common man that pays in the end, maybe if the same happens as 2008 it may this time work it's way through the system. ” At this point, I seriously doubt it. The precedents have already been set. Those precedents are, "too big to fail" and "government must intervene" in economic down turns to prevent job losses, etc., "for the good of the common man". Now, the economic treatments of choice are tax payer fu…

• Quote from geaves: “Ah!! another pessimist can you postpone it for while so that I can build up my retirement package to a bottomless pit as far as the UK is concerned until the £ strengthens against the $ things are going to worse before they get better.....depends really on the outcome of the EU exit...and do I agree paying 'the old boys club' a leaving fee...NO!! why should we give them a monetary cushion so that they can get their house in order I voted to stay, because the benefits outweigh…

• Which hard drive?

flmaxey - - My NAS Build

Quote from ryecoaaron: “I never thought there would be such a disagreement with good published statistics. I will just STFU since my suggestion sucks and everyone has better ideas... ” I agree with you. Data is data and while it's not absolute, BackBlaze's data set is massive. It's quite possibly the largest study of hard drives in the world. Of the drive models specified, their failure data is an indicator of what might be expected. Sure, one could buy an exact model where BackBlaze's failure r…

• BTRFS from Rockstor

flmaxey - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “And if you fear the downsides of immature btrfs kernel/userland code due to relying on a Debian 'oldstable' system choosing a zmirror instead is always an option. ” After doing an hour or two of research and dinking around with the ZFS plugin in a VM, I think I'm going to go with a zmirror. In the essentials of I want right now, ZFS provides it without the need to wait on Linux kernel development. ZFS utilities are similar to BTRFS (actually, there appears to be more feature…

• Quote from geaves: “I don't like the woman...neither do I trust her....I have voted Tory since I could vote and the last election was the first time I did not vote Tory....Cameron ran away when he lost EU vote, that's just not cricket!! Just because you lost some of toys doesn't mean you should push the pram into the first ditch you findI admire Nicola Sturgeon but she's all me me me.....she could be a Scottish Thatcher hahahaha that wouldn't go down well either. What we need is a billionaire ac…

• BTRFS from Rockstor

flmaxey - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “1. Why do you consider btrfs RAID1 'beta'? Please see btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph…le_Devices#Current_status (which might already be horribly outdated again). 2. My only problem with btrfs is that almost all code lives inside the kernel so running outdated kernels is a no go with btrfs. In some situations the same applies to version of btrfs-progs (in other words: don't use btrfs at all with a default OMV 2 or 3 installation 3. And if you fear the downsides of immature btr…

• BTRFS from Rockstor

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ness1602: “1. If a disk within mdadm RAID1 is dying and data is getting bad,you just pull out disk(physically or via -f ) and then you've got ok copy.Tried and tested 2.If you're afraid about the data,but don't have enough money for dist-filesystem then you just have to be good at making backups. That's my moto. Make daily,weekly,monthly backups so that when something happens you can revert to it. ” I'm backed-up very well. Since the bulk of my data store doesn't change much, I have 1…

• Quote from Ziradog: “1. Okay, on the second build I have 2 USB sticks. The original one (TestMusic) still cannot write to, the newer (OldMusic) one I can. If you look at the attachement called OMV Screen Shot, you can see that one shows as a USB stick, one not. 2. On the second attachment called W10 Explorer Share, you can see that TestMusic has Read & Write access; The other one (OldMusic) has Full Control all the way through. I tried changing TestMusic, but got Access Denied. My original build…

• Quote from tkaiser: “So it's just a number allowing to estimate that for whatever reasons a lot of people think about using OMV on the most insufficient devices for this use case The older image has been 'downloaded' ~14,000 times within a few weeks so I thought we could talk about up to ~10,000 potential users here. ” I've never given much thought to SourceForge download numbers, but I wouldn't disagree with the overall rough estimate. Of full downloads, I imagine there's a lot of shopping arou…

• BTRFS from Rockstor

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ness1602: “Raid on different machines would be CEPH for example. ” Actually, I looked into Ceph and GlusterFS. Both are, without doubt, the software end of enterprise solutions. But when they refer to hard drives or export locations as "bricks", I believe their intended purposes far exceed the storage capacity I need and the thickness of my wallet. Of the two, it appears that GlusterFS could be made to scale down to something that "might" be usable at home. On the other hand, both com…

• BTRFS from Rockstor

flmaxey - - General

What I'd really like on the home front would be the functional equivalent of BTRFS RAID1, with two drives in the mirror, in different machines. With check sums assigned to a file, along with some sort of established trust between two PC's, why couldn't the second copy of the file be on another PC? While it wouldn't be ideal at the enterprise level, something like that would be a great low level distributed files system for home and small business use. If the primary server died a backup server w…

• There's another way to do what you're doing, from the OMV end of it. First, install the "Remote Mount" Plugin. (Using the Remote Mount plugin bypasses the need to use an Rsync server on either end.) Second, using the Remote Mount Plugin; Mount the network share 192.168.211.45:/home/harold/test . You'll need a user name and password, with access to the share. The user will need a minimum of read access, to pull from the above share. (I'm guessing that the user is harold.) If you want to push from…

• I read the article and, I have to say, it's interesting. Since I have more than a few unused hard drives laying around, I might build the media server as project.

• I still haven't worked out why my particular Emby install has a problem with music media. Again, why I hit play, the song is over (less than a second). When I play a mix, the titles flow by at speed as if songs where 1 second long. I haven't had time to mess around with it but it's definitely strange. (It probably has something to do with the way I'm trying to play files from a remote net location.) In any case. ___________________________________________ EmbyCon? Frankly, I wouldn't even be int…

• I still haven't worked out why my particular Emby install has a problem with music media. Again, why I hit play, the song is over (less than a second). When I play a mix, the titles flow by at speed as if songs where 1 second long. I haven't had time to mess around with it but it's definitely strange. (It probably has something to do with the way I'm trying to play files from a remote net location.) In any case. ___________________________________________ EmbyCon? Frankly, I wouldn't even be int…

• RAID gone...

flmaxey - - General

Quote from jowan: “Ready! It says: /dev/md0 EXT4 and Mounted. I did nothing to put the file system EXT4 on the array, nor did I actively mount it. It just happened. Am I ready now to use it? How do I put content on it? Thanks. ” You did note what ryecoarron said about RAID, USB drives, and Raspberry PI's, right? Do so at your own risk. If you have odd or intermittent problems, or if the array fails, you'll know why. ___________________________________________ To add content, you'll need to creat…

• BTRFS from Rockstor

flmaxey - - General

Quote from dragon2611: “1. Raid 1 is mostly stable 2. Whilst it was a 4 disk raid1 (yes you can do that on BRTFS it just make sure there is 2 copies of the data on different drives) it also survived the Board dieing and a transplant to another host. 3. That said the data I care about gets backed up in multiple locations the rest is stuff that I care enough to try and protect against a drive failure but if I lost it then oh well opps. ” 1. Well, "mostly stable" is not stable. While I really want …

• Quote from tkaiser: “I'll add then this information also to first post and then we need to find a solution/script for the ~10,000 users of current OMV_3_0_79_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.35.img ” Is that a real stat - roughly 10,000 OMV - R-PI users?

• Quote from Ziradog: “I finally had time to try the window settings, and that did not fix the problem. I also tried a laptop using Windows 7 Ultimate, with similar results. I too will be out of town much of this week, and will be offline all of the following week. I really think I am missing something simple here. I see a *few* similar posts, but not many. Too many people do this successfully, presumably some using Windows 10, for it to be a significant issue with OMV. ” BTW: I'd reactivate SMB 2…