Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 708.

• My first NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Ammiraglio: “Tomorrow I will get a new 8TB HDD and I will try it with the card. ” It's confirmed that 8TB drives work with this Marvell chip (and that's not that surprising if we keep in mind how the technology works and that SATA from the very beginning was able to deal with 128PiB due to... LBA48. And if there's any limit it is at 2 TiB and not above)

• My first NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Ammiraglio: “The current limit for supported drives is 6TB ” BS. There is no such limit. If disks larger than 2TiB work then all disks larger than 2TiB work up to 128PiB (48 bit LBA).

• My first NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Ammiraglio: “Damn I've just read that the maximum HDD size is 4TB but I have only 8TB drives. ” Huh? What are you talking about? Edit: micom.net/Downloads/Drive%20Size%20Limits.htm (there is no 4TiB limitation, if a disk controller can handle more than 2TiB -- all SATA controllers can -- everything is fine. SATA means LBA48 so the next potential barrier is far away. And running into the 2TiB limitation is also pretty hard these days. The 'best' chance is to use old/crappy USB enclosur…

• SSD Cache (bcache) for OpenMediaVault?

tkaiser - - General

Update: I added a 3rd cheap consumer SSD to the mix, let a RAID10 with 3 members create and now even toy grade hardware reaches 1000 MB/s (read only of course): Source Code (3 lines)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from darkarn: “I wonder what exact enterprise-grade stuff will I need to get such performance lol... ” Well, the following is made with toy-grade hardware (a dual core ARM SoC with a consumer grade M.2 SSD connected to one of the SoC's native SATA ports and another 2.5" consumer grade SSD attached to a Marvell 88SE9215 SATA controller). These are results in KB/s from an 'iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2' benchmark: Source Code (7 lines)This is …

• Quote from Zeppelin 500: “Should I wait or can I parametrize it and fix ist later? ” Well, due to krackattacks.com I would recommend to use this for now: Source Code (1 line)Afterwards 'apt upgrade' should work and you get upstream wpa_supplicant (Debian) and hostapd (Armbian) packages.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from darkarn: “I thought 400 MB/s for sustained is on par when the destination disk is an SSD, how fast should I expect when properly tuned? ” The 400 MB/s in your setup are 'peak SMB performance from client to FS buffer (memory)'. If your hardware is somewhat decent then a lot more should be possible. I tested a few months ago with new ZFS filer boxes (dual socket multi core Xeons, 256GB DRAM, LSI SAS HBAs and a bunch of 3.5" SAS HDDs as 'large zpool made of mirrored vdevs'). The clustere…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from darkarn: “Looks like maybe I should just get the fastest HDDs (8 TB SSDs are just way too expensive lol) and/or reconfigure the topology? ” Depends on the use case I would say If you want to tune for no reason (nice looking benchmark numbers) I would start to investigate why you're only getting 400 MB/s NAS network performance (since most probably this is 'just' tweaking settings here and there without additional costs). If you then want to overcome the HDD performance bottleneck you …

• Quote from marlboris: “here the result of lsusb ” Thank you. Branded firmware (0x059f:0x106f) so no luck (LaCie doesn't develop internal hardware, it would need a teardown of the enclosure to get an idea which controller is inside... but since you won't be able to reflash its firmware it's of not that much use and might lead to warranty becoming void)

• Quote from PorterDon: “Failed to fetch apt.armbian.com/dists/jessie/InRelease Unable to find expected entry 'jessie-utils/binary-armhf/Packages' in Release file ” forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/20050 (TL;DR: some patience is needed, ignore the warning in the meantime)

• Banana pi BPI-R2 OMV

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

You asked in the wrong place, please visit the manufacturer's forum and ask there: forum.banana-pi.org/c/Banana-Pi-BPI-R2 Good luck! You'll need it when buying unripe Bananas! In case the manufacturer ever manages to provide any Debian Jessie or Stretch images that work you can always install OMV on top of them. I would suggest using Armbian's softy script since this takes care about good OMV performance too. And I doubt you'll ever find an official OMV image for the R2 (or any more recent SinoV…

• Error enabling monitoring

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mcgyver83: “libpixman-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: Error 117 ” Raspberry Pi + SD card = data corruption? Ask 'dpkg --verify' for details.

• My first NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from NASNoob: “Mirroring is nice but it also mirrors eventually given issues instantly. ” Exactly, it's almost as useless as RAID-1 since just mirroring with some delay. In the past we did use rsync but added versioning on top (web search for 'rsync rotating backup hardlinks' should be sufficient) but switched in the meantime to way more better approaches (using snapshot features from ZFS/btrfs and sending them incrementially to another disk/host) but I fear this requires some skills to ge…

• My first NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from NASNoob: “I'm careful using terms like Backup, RAID, etc because I don't know them correctly. ” Ok, given you seem to walk the 'RAID route' for whatever reasons ('I wanted to buy one with 6x SATA') I would strongly recommend to check/implement backup first and to keep complexity as low as possible. We have every other day a new 'Oops, my RAID array has gone thread' here, inexperienced users do stuff those with some knowledge/experience can not even imagine (eg. saving the time/efforts…

• My first NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

You mentioned data losses multiple times but 'backup' not a single time. Seems you chose to continue with data loss?

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Why would this mounting be any different than a server that stores the spindles vertically (like an N40L) that doesn't have any vibration dampening (stored rigidly in a hot swap tray)? ” Since it's somewhat different if you only fix the drive at 4 points below gravity centre with a the spindles allowed to swing freely above? gb2_vs_n54l.jpg I did a quick test with a 3TB Seagate Barracuda one time fixed in a drive cage, the other time simulating the GnuBee fixation using '…

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

Quote from mrshark: “i get an error on a repo ” Not only you and I've no idea when it will be fixed. Ignoring this (and the idea to upgrade to OMV4 today) should be the best idea for now.

• Quote from marlboris: “external USB3 drive ” Spindown problems expected depending on USB-to-SATA bridge used and firmware version of the chip. If your drives react correctly to 'hdparm -y' or '-Y' but not '-S' searching for one of the available scripts to deal with crappy USB disk enclosures might do the job. Curious: How does lsusb output looks like?

• Spindown problems?

tkaiser - - General

IIRC you're running on a SBC with USB storage. If that's the case 'spindown control not working (as expected)' is just one of the many downside of USB storage. Some USB-SATA bridges do whatever they want, see for example this here (especially the links): forum.armbian.com/index.php?/t…findComment&comment=41093

• OMV 3 to OMV 4 already OK?

tkaiser - - Updates/Upgrades

Quote from NASNoob: “I already did this hundreds of times with my raspberry pi and newer had problems. ” What about now using the web interface and adjusting there the stuff as @Pfeifenraucher already explained in detail?