Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 25.

• Help me learn!

Ammiraglio - - General

Have you looked into SnapRAID instead of creating an actual RAID6? You could use 2 of your 8 HDD as parity drives and keep the other 6 pooled with mergerfs. I think it's the best solution for a media server.

• Is there a Mergerfs Howto?

Ammiraglio - - General

Keep also in mind that enabling direct_io will cause problems with some docker containers (e.g. rutorrent).

• My first NAS

Ammiraglio - - My NAS Build

I surely am glad about it. I just don't get it then why they write such BS on the manufacturer site.

• My first NAS

That's what I've always thought/known. That's why I didn't even check the product page before buying it. I surely hope you're right. Tomorrow I will get a new 8TB HDD and I will try it with the card.

• My first NAS

sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=156 On the product description it's written: - Supports 3TB and 4TB hard drives. From the question tab * Q: will this controller support drive over 2TB? (4tb 6tb etc) * A: The current limit for supported drives is 6TB

• My first NAS

Damn I've just read that the maximum HDD size is 4TB but I have only 8TB drives. Good thing it's a cheap card so I didn't waste a lot of money.

• I'm by no means an expert, but if I understood correctly for a media server the difference between a desktop CPU and a server CPU would almost be non existent.

• Case for NAS?

When I did some research I always came up with 2 cases: the Silverstone DS380 and the Fractal Design Node 304. Both are compact and should be very good for a NAS. Personally I don't like such small cases. At the moment I'm using an old coolermaster silencio 550 that has space for 7 internal HDD (I can fit 5 more in the external bays).

• My first NAS

I bought it and it will arrive tuesday! Thanks for the tip!

• My first NAS

Quote from NASNoob: “This one seems to be good if you read the reviews: amazon.com/Syba-PCI-Express-Co…a+iii+pci-e+2.0+x+14-port ” Yeah that looks fine and it's also cheap so even if doesn't work it's not really a tragedy.

• My first NAS

I'm also in the process of figuring out the best solutions to configure my NAS. At the moment I have 4 disks pooled with unionfs dedicated to data and 1 SSD for OMV system and config directories for the 2 docker containers I run (plex server and rutorrent). The 4 disks have mainly media data. I'm backing up to a couple of external drives only the most important stuff that I don't want/can lose. Soon I will try to use snapraid adding another drive to use as parity (most of the data is in large fi…

• New coffee lake processor

I'm using the i5 750 now and the system is much better now.

• I use the docker plex server from linux.io and with that I am able to configure the library directory on the system disk.

Quote from macom: “OMV3 is based on Debian 8 and is the current stable version. OMV4 is based on Debian 9 and is in development phase. So you can check which processor is supported by which version of Debian. Might be that CoffeLake will be supported by Debian 10. forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133348 Probably better to check which processors are already used for Debian 8 and OMV3. Is there a reason why you are looking for the latest processor? You could gain you some bucks by using somew…

Hello, I was thinking of buying the new i3 8100 (4 cores) and build a new NAS based on OMV. Is OMV compatible with these new processors or there could be some problems?

• Union Filesystems + OS Reinstall

Ammiraglio - - General

If you reinstall the OS and after that you recreate the pool with unionfs, the union file system that will be created is going to be exactly the same as the one before the reinstalling. The only difference probably would be the absolute path of shared folders.

• My 64TB build

Quote from canadavault: “ Quote from ryecoaaron: “His point of using raid 0 is still valid. If you lost one drive, everything would be gone. With unionfilesystems, you only lose data from the failed drive. ” Could you explain how to do it? Actually, when I had experienced 1 hdd failure with unionfilesystem(mergerfs), I had no idea how to revive the lost data from the failed drive. So I returned back to omv 2.0 from 3.0. ” As far as I understood it, the unionfs simply pool together different file…

• Backup configuration

Ammiraglio - - General

So what would be the way to backup the configuration (file systems, shared folders, plugins, etc.)?

• I have the same UPS and I couldn't figure out how to set it up, thanks for the info!

• Thank you very much!