Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 787.

• Time to reinstall on raspbian ;)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Wolf2000: “You have to unpack it first! ” No, the readme clearly states: 'Write the .img.xz image in a single step using Etcher etcher.io to SD card.' Quote from ExRaspberry: “Using etcher the firts time. What's its advantage? ” Unlike WinDiskImager or other primitive burning tools Etcher verifies what's written. Many failing SD cards are already detected at burning, most if not all at verify stage. An awful lot of support efforts around single board computers or SD cards in general a…

• Suddenly OMV 3 needs 5 mins to boot

tkaiser - - General

Quote from epicfail: “Thats the output of dpkg --verify ” Looks fine, your installation is intact and you should really start to focus on the usual suspects (hardware) instead of software all the time. When there are 'interface bring up' issues the first thing to do is to check for interconnection problems at the hardware layer (always search/test from bottom to top)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from epicfail: “when i execute this command there is no output...isn´t it? ” When there's no output everything should be fine but then I would confirm with 'dpkg --verify' since at least a few files below /etc/ should now be listed.

• Disks do not spin down automatically

tkaiser - - General

Quote from oppo1967o: “What I am missing? ” If you did not cloned the repo then most probably just the executable bit? And trying to use sh instead of bash won't work. If you're where the iosnoop script is the following should fix the access bits and functionality: Source Code (2 lines) BTW: A translation of major:minor numbers iosnoop will show to usual device names can be done with eg. Source Code (1 line)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from epicfail: “Is there someway to chekc the systemfiles? ” Source Code (1 line)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from oppo1967o: “how can the all 5 data disk have activities? ” Better ask iosnoop than people far away, having no access to your system and not the slightest idea how you configured stuff.

• Quote from raulfg3: “local is good for local rslve eg: when you put rrasperrypi.local on your webWrobser to access to yoou NAS on your local LAN ” Using 'local' as domain is a great way to destoy zeroconf functionality and to get error messages like 'Network service discovery disabled - current network has a .local domain, which is not recommended + incompatible with Avahi network' -- on his Raspbian avahi-daemon is installed so raspberrypi.local always works (in the way it should) regardless of…

tkaiser - - General

If there's disk activity waking up sleeping disks you already found the reason why they do not spin down (since not idle). So it's time to get a clue which processes are doing IO. I would use iosnoop for this...

• Quote from mcgyver83: “Why you say "ARMv6 Raspbian vs. ARMv7 'original' Debian now"? Rpi2 has an ARMv7 cpu, now I'm running OMV3 on a rpi2 so you are saying that below the line "my OMV" is running using Raspbian ARMv6 version? ” All Raspbian packages are built for ARMv6 (that's the whole reason Raspbian exists since back in 2012 upstream Debian already stopped supporting older architectures than ARMv7 so RPi folks had to build an own repo and rebuild all packages to be able to provide a Debian f…

• Quote from mcgyver83: “Hi all, I'm running OMV with rpi2 since 2 years (with a lot of issue:( ) ” As expected, the hardware is not up to the job (NAS). Quote from mcgyver83: “Now I know that there are OMV images "dedicated" for rpi2. How can I migrate from my OMV3.0 to "OMV for rpi" without loosing settings? ” I fear you can't since the base system is something completely different (ARMv6 Raspbian vs. ARMv7 'original' Debian now). But it's useless to do such a switch anyway since you can't fix h…

• Quote from mcgyver83: “I tried setting "local" as domain name in "network" page. ” Bad idea since this is a 'special' name used for link local usage: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local

• SMART reports bad sector

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mcgyver83: “The device is connected via Y cable to usb router port and usb raspberry port (so no power issue should happens) ” Really bad idea. Electric potential difference is a great recipe for destroying electronics. Since powering Raspberry Pis is such a sh*t show you feed your disk most probably with 5.xV and 4.xV at the same time. With most recent OMV image for Raspberries it's easy to check for undervoltage issues: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images You should try to solv…

• New user - Need help with starting

tkaiser - - General

Quote from DJDJDJDJ: “RPI has the following wires/items connected to it ” Try it with Ethernet only and all unnecessary power consumers disconnected (no HDMI, no USB). The green led is sufficient as an activity indicator. If you see activity then most probably you're running into underpowering issues now (pretty common since Raspberries use the crappy Micro USB connector for DC-IN -- read this for details). If the same happens (green led stopping after a few seconds) you need to replace your PSU…

• New user - Need help with starting

tkaiser - - General

Quote from DJDJDJDJ: “I have looked around for a guide ” But ignored the readme at the download location. Use Etcher. If Etcher reports problems it's the SD card or your card reader, if Etcher tells you burning succeeded at least the image has been properly written to SD card. Then you need an Ethernet cable und patience as written in the readme and depending on the random write performance of your SD card after 5 to 30 minutes your RPi reboots and is ready.

• Raid 5 Degraded after Reboot

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from tdog42: “Here's my syslog right before I reboot (and including the reboot): pastebin.com/Mtu25dAw ” Why? What's the purpose of providing an uninteresting log and hiding the interesting stuff? Quote from tdog42: “A couple of days ago, after rebooting ” So obviously logs from before 'A couple of days ago' would be interesting to get a clue what happened?

• OpenMediaVault über WLAN

tkaiser - - Network

If you use latest OMV image for Raspberries then according to the readme.txt at download location you need to connect the RPi with Ethernet cable to your the network (needs internet access to finish the installation). If this doesn't happen neither Wi-Fi firmware nor drivers are to be installed, see New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images Besides that RPi Wi-Fi is too crappy to be of any use for OMV (transferring data).

• Quote from macom: “What should the output look like? ” Not suspicious This command lists all files that have not the checksums as 'expected' (at the time the original package was installed). While some files are expected to change (eg. below /etc, the drivedb.h or everything with *cache* in its name) increasing occurences of system files are an indication for data corruption. As an example see here: Protocol "http" not supported or disabled in libcurl

• Quote from joq3: “will I get any warnings from OMV if more sectors fail? ” SSDs do not have sectors. The only SMART attribute worth a look is '233 Media_Wearout_Indicator' (with Intel SSDs -- other vendors, other attributes). This one goes from 100 down to 1 and is now at 99. As soon as it's at 1 you can take action based on SMART data (based on current usage this will be in a few decades or even +100 years). In other words: forget about SMART as health indicator, it won't work. Do backups and i…

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

@ryecoaaron: Request for test Latest iso not enabling NICs In case it works for you please exchange image on SF (MD5 sum included) and close bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1834

• Updated OMV install on MyBookLive Linux

tkaiser - - General

Please see forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/10803 I might be wrong (still not too much into OMV) but it seems ppc architecture has been added a while ago but I'm not sure whether still (fully) supported. Judging by my work with OMV on armhf/arm64 architectures I would be surprised if powerpc architecture is worth to be maintained (since an awful lot of testing efforts needed and close to impossible to provide a good platform experience without the hardware at hands)