Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 97.

• HP microserver Gen10

drinks2go - - My NAS Build

Quote from beep: “Tried to install OMV on a gen10 performance model. Cannot view or configure RAID volumes. Perhaps the Marvell 88SE9230 controller is not supported by default ? ” hmm, this is all I could come up with. bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42679 There used to be a guy who worked for HP posting here, not sure where he is lately.... Maybe he will drop by if I tag him... @Spy Alelo

• Works as expected! Now just trying to figure out what I can put in there to reduce writes across the eMMC on my cheap laptop, other than /var/log and /var/tmp took me half a minute to figure out the folder2ram script actually does depend on rsync,

• Oops, I meant folder2ram-> for some reason I thought that was on your git @ryecoaaron but I see it's someone else now!

• Was curious, maybe @ryecoaaron can stop by (didn't want to pm) or perhaps if someone else can just answer... Is it safe to use the scripts from flashmemory (folder2ram) on a Debian 9 machine? Basically just planning to do /var/log/ /var/temp/ and maybe a few other things to reduce writes on a cheap little eMMC netbook... I had noticed a comment in another thread regarding OMV4 where it was said not much would have to be done with the plugin to make it ready for 4.x, so my assumption based on loo…

• so I'm saying bios level virtualization, which I take to mean bare metal, doesn't matter. Virtualbox is not a "bare metal" hypervisor...??? PS. You can over provision vcore 4:1 safely so long as you're not doing compute heavy tasks... so long as no transcoding probably no issues... ? Unless you have lots of disk iops you should be fine with even 3 or 4 single core vms....???

• @geaves Virtualbox is not bare metal??

• for what it's worth if your vms aren't going to be using 100% of their vcpu at all times I don't think over provisioning is such a huge issue in a home environment (that is to say, 2 cores is probably ok)

• If you want to get into virtualization and can swing it might as well go for 16GB ram, that's always going to be a bottleneck for VMs (unless you want to swap to disk, then have bad performance). Sorry, I can't offer any advice on the PSU because I'm not much of a hardware buff.

• What to RAID

drinks2go - - RAID

probably the best solution for home use is to make 5 tb and 5tb pools via unionfilesystems so that you can make a local backup with rsync daily. then you can have 1tb drive for unimportant data or whatever. Raid 1 can be good for high availability, assuming the machine is ok, if one drive goes corrupt the data will be available. oops my math was wrong I counted the disks incorrectly but I'm sure you got the idea kyou

• Squid could probably run pretty well on an rpi but the issue is that it takes some GB of storage for even 100mbits downlink internet connection, which I assume a few kids with parents would saturate pretty easily. The other thing is that running a proxy like that on a dinky little pi would probably introduce some kind of bottleneck on the network... it'd have to be just about dedicated to that task to be sure! Squidsafe would do it and most likely Squid itself would save on a good deal of unnece…

• Firewall rules to download plugins

drinks2go - - Network

OH @FOcaL So silly! -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED, RELATED Let us know if that solves the problem! Bon chance!

drinks2go - - Network

I think 5353 port is for Avahi/zeroconf services. It is safe to open to the local network according to the image in the first post he has allowed udp 53 ...

• Login on client fails

drinks2go - - General

What permission do you set up on the shares? Is your problem still with permissions? Or you cannot login? Sounds like you are not giving user and group access through the web interface maybe? I had ran into that issue in the past. I attached a picture, I apologize it is not in German! Also are you having issues with files on the drive from past installations? Could be your permissions are no good. From command line on OMV, chown root:users /path/to/share should give permissions to any OMV users …

drinks2go - - Network

Hi, you may need to open ftp port, from time to time your package mirrors might be configured to use ftp server instead of http/s. But I think that's not the issue. I'm curious if it is just plugins that you have trouble with or apt-get update as well?

• NextCloud Installation Q & A

drinks2go - - General

Can you ls -la /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d and post the directory listing? I suspect you have no conf for that fpm pool. It's not difficult to create one but I'd be concerned as to why it's not there in the first place, is there other things with the install which is broken. I'm not so sure the permissions script will ameliorate the issue with no unix socket/fpm pool configuration for nextcloud, HOWEVER, I don't use that software and am just troubleshooting based on some experience with web development…

• CrashPlan Ending Home Service

drinks2go - - General

Unlimited, always a scam. Show me an unlimited HD and I'll buy into one of those plans. To elaborate, if you take your data seriously don't buy an "unlimited" plan. As I say, there is no unlimited hard drive. This marketing tactic is a blatant scam- personally I don't give my money to people who greet me with misrepresentations. And, we all know too well, not all forms of storage are equal.

• NextCloud Installation Q & A

drinks2go - - General

For what it's worth bad gateway 502 is a pretty generic error message. It means invalid response and could have nothing to do with permissions. Does that sock file actually exist in /var/run?

• List of reliable USB drive brands?

drinks2go - - Off-Topic

Avoid Lexar on sale, had one go corrupt on me within an hour. They're not going to be selling sticks under Lexar brand anyway. Had found ViTran SLC USB3 on ebay, looks interesting. Untested though. Decent price. Have found the sandisk cruzer fit to be quite reliable indeed. Been using one to store data on my rpi torrentbox for a few months without issue. You can find good prices on usb 2.0 drives on Amazon, I saw Amazon US has industrial USB for sale. I always buy directly from Amazon warehouse …

• NAS - Time to choose

drinks2go - - My NAS Build

If this is actually sensitive data (ie. business use) I think is is very irresponsible to store it alongside a personal htpc/nas. If there should ever be an attack on your NAS, and the attacker is able to extrude data from your machine, you could be subject to civil/judicial action. If you are not self employed you may also be placing your employer in a legally precarious situation in a number of different arenas. The fact that you think your best solution may be "ssl encrpytion" and "nextcloud …

• I was thinking again about your comments today @flmaxey and was thinking it might be a better/more interesting use of the emmc to put an image of OMV 3.X (to reinstall incase of borking) and possibly gparted Live or something. Similar to the recovery partition on many laptops/desktops. What do you think? I could do this with two usbs connected to the Nuc, one with the gparted/OMV images and one with maybe another gparted or something to just wipe the eMMC and then write the images to it. Then I …