Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 412.

• Your drives are no longer under /media but under /srv/

• Wide ram consumption

Nibb31 - - General

Linux memory management tends to use all the RAM that's available by keeping applications in memory and only frees RAM when another process needs it. This is perfectly normal behavior for Linux.

• You don't yet.

• If the OS drive fails, your individual drives remain accessible as individual drives. You recreate the pool and your back to business. For where new files are written, you define the policy: it can be in existing folders, or it can go to the drive with the most space, etc...) Duplicate files (same folder, same filename) cause ambiguity, so you have to avoid them as much as possible. There are tools for deduping, but it's best to just rename folders before you create the pool and always go throug…

• Expanding my storage. Need suggestions.

Nibb31 - - General

Mergerfs is a layer on top of the actual filesystem. It simply creates another drive on your system that merges together the contents of all the drives in the pool. Those drives are left intact and can still be accessed individually, so there is no need to copy or move the data. Once you have a pool like that, you shouldn't have to worry about what data is on what drive, that's the whole point. It acts as a single big disk. But you can still look at the contents of each drive if you really want …

• Expanding my storage. Need suggestions.

Nibb31 - - General

Assuming your microserver has 4 bays, keeping 2 backups of the same data in the same device isn't much of a backup. If that 6TB backup drive is already a backup of other data, you might want to consider putting the second backup drive in an external USB enclosure that you could move to a different location (attached to a router for example, ideally at a friend's house). You could also consider mergerfs drive pooling, with the Union Filesystems plugin. This combines your larger drives into a sing…

• Solved? OMV and software raid 5

Nibb31 - - My NAS Build

There isn't much to gain from compression if most of your media is already heavily compressed, which is usually the case for media files, movies, audio, photos... For me, it's a level of complexity for very little (if any) gain.

• ESXi and OMV on HP Proliant G8 - Advice

Nibb31 - - General

You just need to passthrough the drives to the OMV VM.

• If you want backup, you want a local NAS and some sort of remote storage for backup.

• SMB/CIFS Write access denied

Nibb31 - - CIFS/SMB

Using an RPI as a NAS for vital professional data is extremely risky.

• Sharing OMV shares over the Internet

Nibb31 - - General

I would question why you want direct SMB access over the internet instead of a syncing or streaming solution.

• Noob: SMB works, NFS worth it?

Nibb31 - - General

Seriously, you aren't even using a powered drive? Your hardware is completely inadequate for what you want to do. You have bigger problems than choosing the sharing protocol.

• Help me learn!

Nibb31 - - General

If you're going to be buying 10TB drives for home media server, then not buying more RAM is skimping. 60TB of storage is not "home user" level. Do you seriously need 60TB ? If this is media for your personal, then with SnapRAID and mergerfs you get much a more flexible and extensible system. Start small and expand as your needs increase.

• Help me learn!

Nibb31 - - General

You probably don't need RAID, especially for 10TB drives, unless you are a business that requires high availability. What you do need is backup. What you might need is pooling. Other things that you might need will depend on what you want to do with your 80TB of storage..

• Noob: SMB works, NFS worth it?

Nibb31 - - General

What's the point of a NAS if you have to swap drives between machines? You're using the wrong hardware for the wrong use case. A NAS is Network Attached Storage. You are not supposed to remove the drives to transfer data. You transfer data over the Network. Of course, that means that a NAS needs a proper network interface, so you shouldn't use a RPi. Why not just plug the external drive into your Kodi machine and transfer files directly over SMB or FTP ?

• Sync backup software recommendation

Nibb31 - - General

Personally, I use NextCloud, which also gives you web-based access to your files and various other services. It has Linux, Windows, Mac,Android, and iOS sync clients.

• Taking my raid and installing OMV in ESXi

Nibb31 - - General

I wasn't successful in passing drives through to OMV in ESXI on my Gen7 microserver. Some drives refused to pass through. Not sure if it was due to the drives or to the microserver architecture, but ESXI is a bit picky on hardware. I finally moved to Proxmox instead of ESXI and it works flawlessly.

• Not possible to write on the disk

Nibb31 - - General

You need to install omv-extras to have access to most of the plugins: omv-extras.org/joomla/

• Not possible to write on the disk

Nibb31 - - General

Go into Shared Folders, select the folder that you use for Transmission, and click Privileges. Look for the user debian-transmission, give it full perms on the folder.

• If you do this, you need to use the openmedia-flashmemory plugin. By default, OMV writes a lot of data to the drive (mainly stats and logs) and flash memory (SD cards, USB sticks) do not like that and will cause a failure after a while. The plugin somewhat fixes that by writing to a ramdisk.