Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 972.

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

With this latest OMV image also nand-sata-install to transfer the OMV installation over to a HDD or SSD is finally working. But you should keep in mind that this will prevent disk sleep with HDDs (please check also the JMS578 spindown firmware issue that is about to be resolved soon). And you must keep in mind that you need to create partitions on a connected disk first otherwise OMV won't allow you to use this disk also for data later! So a good recommendation could be to use 2 partitions: 10GB…

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

@ryecoaaron: Sorry to bother you again with an image update: OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz (MD5 hash: e349f2fa1acebdeede8210b0ff7e9959) Please replace this on Sourceforge since Hardkernel will pretty soon sell a new eMMC type (that is finally useable on all their various ODROIDs -- no more color coding hassles any more!) and as they write: "Please consider releasing new images since some users can’t update safely because of the instability just in case. In the first boot process(or any time…

• Possible to grow linear pool?

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from elastic: “I have mixed feelings about the whole scrubbing feature ” ...but want to use RAID (where OMV also scrubs regularly unless users decide to behave irresponsible)? It feels really strange hearing of people wanting to waste 2 entire disks for something they try to sabotage at the same time (added complexity requires continous testing. Most of these 'My array has gone! Where is all my data' threads every other day here are related to users blindly trusting in technology instead o…

• Raid 10 boot - how to?

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Sc0rp: “RAID1 as boot-device brings only more reliability if different drives of the same technology are used (e.g. one HDD from Seagate and one from WD - of course with the same base specs), on SSDs i didn't recommend that ” With RAID-1 and SSDs not following this rule and using exactly the same devices (especially when even firmware revision is the same) is really dangerous since SSDs die for other reasons than spinning rust (eg. firmware failures, we had this with almost all vendor…

• Quote from mcdoug8: “DId I skip a step in expanding the image? ” No, you skipped reading the readme.txt at the download location explaining what's needed to make use of the 3rd partition if you want to use the remaining capacity (the older OMV image used 4GB for the rootfs while latest images uses now 8GB -- these are of course 'manufacturer units' and real sizes are 3.6GB and 7.3GB)

• Quote from flmaxey: “(Provided for searches) ” For the same reason I would suggest checking with 'ip addr' first whether this is not just a cosmetical/timing issue (on almost all OMV ARM images I built within the last months it's exactly like this: when using serial console OMV greets with 'no network interface found' while half a second later dhcpclient got an address and everything is fine)

• The latest image for C2 contains one bug that striked in environments with IPv6 enabled/propagated via DHCP: forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-p…findComment&comment=42780 Please check this first and also whether things change if you eliminate all interface details from OMV's config.xml and also eliminate eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces, then reboot (DHCP will work since network manager now takes over) and then change/add in OMV UI eth0 again.

• Just as a referene the summary what makes these OMV SBC images generated with Armbian's build system somewhat special: forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-p…findComment&comment=44097 Edit: almost forgot to mention: All of ayufan's OMV images for ROCK64 also contain those relevant performance stuff (we added that a while ago already) so it's fine to choose his OMV images too

• Slow transfert SMB OMV 3

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from matteu: “What is my problem ? ” Well, hour hard disk most probably? Please keep in mind that HDD all get slower the more they're used (capacity wise): forum.armbian.com/topic/1925-s…findComment&comment=15319 And test locally storage performance on OMV with eg. iozone (apt install iozone3)

• Quote from Muffkins90: “i am almost 100% sure they they configured for 1GB speed ” What about verifying this first? Grab iperf and jperf.exe and test at the network layer. If you're staying below 100Mbits/sec you know where to search for next. For local storage tests I would recommend iozone ('apt install iozone3') and for combined tests I would recommend Helios' LanTest (since eliminating the client side storage bottleneck often involved). BTW: older 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives that are not entir…

• Quote from lsdfr: “the one last question, whats the /etc/cron.daily/log2ram: actually do ? ” Nothing, it's a bug on the older images. Please delete the file and use the search field in the upper right corner for 'folder2ram' (since this is active in OMV instead of Armbian's log2ram)

• Quote from lsdfr: “First is 4GB in size the other 11GB and 310mb at the end free. ” Ah, then you're using an older image and the fs resize happened already. If it's really just 2 partitions then they should be both ext4 (we switched to btrfs later but this needs then a 3rd ext4 partition at the beginning to boot since Hardkernel's u-boot can't cope with btrfs directly). Untested but should work: delete the 2nd partition since it seems to be unused anyway and then just Source Code (2 lines)SD car…

• Quote from fmomv: “I'm now somewhat familiar with RPi, so i like to continue using it, because I'm not the hardcore-kernel-recompiling linux-expert. ” Hehe, yeah. There's always an absurd excuse to justify using the worst possible platform possible. None of the other way more performant and suitable ARM platforms for OMV requires knowing what a kernel or even Linux is.

• btrfs file system issues

tkaiser - - General

Quote from tranz: “Then read some post regarding raid5/6 not very good option with btrfs file system ” You should start to read more carefully (or better articles). While btrfs contains own RAID5/6 implementations that are known to cause troubles in situations the usual 'I play RAID at home because I don't understand the difference between availability and data protection' dude never will run into there's nothing wrong using btrfs on top of an existing mdraid6 other than using RAID-6 if you coul…

• RAID5 with unexplained error

tkaiser - - RAID

The redundant RAID modes are only about availability ('business continuity'), backup provides data protection. It's as simple as this.

• Quote from clickwir: “This short video covers some of the high points. ” And does a great job in explaining RAID-1 totally wrong.

• RAID5 with unexplained error

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from danieliod: “/srv/dev-disk-by-label-RAID/lost+found/#98893575 ” It's already where it belongs to, fsck sent it to this directory and somewhere else this data is missing (please search the web for »what is 'lost+found'«). So maybe the above syslog message is just telling you that there is a file you should have an eye on (no idea, I don't use ext4 for valuable data any more since years even if it can be considered one of the most robust filesystems around)

• Quote from Ken: “i will try to 16GB card ” For satisfying results burn it only with Etcher (no need to decompress, Etcher will verify burning process and save you from some common SD card troubles). It's strongly recommended to always test your SD card with either F3 or H2testw first to check for counterfeit/broken cards.

• Quote from Ken: “Maybe script not work ” Exactly. Your SD card shows less than 15500000 sectors capacity (7.3 GB) and this is an indication it needs to be replaced urgently since SD cards of this size are old, slow and cause troubles later anyway (failing rather sooner than later)

• Quote from hammondb4: “Win32diskimager (or your standard procedure in linux) ” This is a horrible tool since it does not verify what it tried to write. Better avoid it until it got a verify function (it's unbelievable that this has never been added). There exist patched versions (for the simple reason that Win32diskimager is horrible without verify) but today we should simply use Etcher (the sole existence of this tool is that 'burning went wrong' happens way too often and everywhere). Quote fro…