Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 181.

• Best update-strategy on OMV3?

Sc0rp - - Updates/Upgrades

Re, OT Quote from tkaiser: “(I mute email notifications and prefer monitoring through other channels, OMV's SNMP implementation for example is quite capable!) ” I got no time for my BPi-R1 to get this working as an "LAN-manager" - i would use SNMP too, and some other tools for gathering informations from any connected device in my LAN, but emails on NAS were a very quick (and working) approach - the simplest notifying solution will work better than no one ... /OT Btw. ich checked my NAS, and the…

Re, Quote from tkaiser: “I don't know about the x86 ISO but on all the various OMV images for ARM boards the 'unattended-upgrades' package is installed by default so even users who 'never change a running system' get security fixes without even knowing ” Oh ... i don't use the ARM nor the ISO either :P, i install OMV always over the Debian-NetInstall-ISO - and this way, the packages are gathered "in download-only-mode" by OMV ... i have to install them by either "clicking" or issuing "ap-get upg…

• Re, die OMV-WebGUI führt auch nur ein "apt-get update" aus, und präsentiert das Ergebnis im Browser ... von daher ist es egal ob du die WebGUI benutzt oder die Commando-Zeile ... Updates sollten immer und recht zeitnah installiert werden, weil es meistens Sicherheitsaktualisierungen sind. Ein Neustart ist in den seltensten Fällen nötig (meist nur bei reinen Kernel-Upgrades, und die kommen bei OMV3 recht selten vor). Es wird ja auch nur aktualisiert, was vorhanden (installiert) ist ... Sc0rp

Re, Quote from MSc: “If you dont update, you doesnt have a stable system! ” Nope, that's not correct - but you have an unsecure and scruffy system. I assume @Chris1234 is a pure Windows user ... And ... under OMV exist no "automatic updates", OMV will daily check for updates and download them, but never installs them without user acceptance. You have to go to the WebGUI-Tab and do the upgrade with clicking ... Sc0rp

• RAID Disappeared - need help to rebuild

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from brifletch: “I'm still getting the same error, even when adding the ending slash? ” Uhm ... just issue an ls -la /root to see what's going on in this dir, if there is a file called "20172417-raid-issue" (the line then starts with "-rwx"), delete it with: rm /root/20171124-raid-issue and try again ... may be you have to create the subdir first: mkdir /root/20171124-raid-issue Sc0rp

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from brifletch: “I'll do as you suggested with the logs (though the code you suggested is returning an error, currently: `/root/20171124-raid-issue' is not a directory), and give the reassembly a go. ” Sorry that was my error, while fast typing ... add a slash on the end: cp -v /var/log/messages* /root/20171124-raid-issue/ After copying the files, you can do the search on this directory ... just change the path from "/var/log/" to "/root/20171124-raid-issue/" ... Quote from brifletch: …

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, checked the logs ... here are the most recent error-lines: /var/log/syslog.1:Nov 23 22:46:35 openmediavault kernel: [23464678.453691] md/raid:md127: Disk failure on sdb, disabling device. /var/log/syslog.1:Nov 23 22:46:35 openmediavault kernel: [23464678.453691] md/raid:md127: Operation continuing on 4 devices. That means: - sdb was disable due to massive errors on the device (read errors) ... and with that, your array went from "degraded" to "dead" - 2nd line states, that there was one miss…

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, according to the output there are good news ... and bad news: - good: the "Magic" is the same on all drives - bad: the Event-counter is different (but it seems, they are close enough to reassemble) Any conclusion about the root-cause? That would be highly necessary ... May be, you can "copy" (read backup) the log-files for later searching ... cp -v /var/log/messages* /root/20171124-raid-issue (this will create the subdir "20171124-raid-issue" under the home of root) cp -v /var/log/syslog* /r…

• Hallo, laut deinem o. gezeigten Screenshot sieht es so aus, als hättest zu zwar dein RAID1 angelegt (warum das?), aber das Dateisystem nicht formatiert ... Änderungen müssen bestätigt werden - wenn du das nicht machst, werden sie auch nicht übernommen! Sc0rp

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from tkaiser: “Just for my personal understanding: the above /proc/mdstat output talking about two RAIDs with different members can be ignored? ” I hope so ... since the state for the both /dev/sdf and /dev/sdc in the md126-array are both "spare", i hope the backup superblock is intact for the assembling with the remaining disks. Btw. the "/dev/mdX" numbering is more OS related, than array related ... md is working here more like hardware-controllers. You can issue the command: mdadm -…

• Re, Quote from JSKershaw: “Would it be safe to resize the file system in the command line using: ” Yepp. Quote from JSKershaw: “I want the file system to take all the available space on the RAID so I don't need to specify the size, correct? ” Yepp. It is the standard behavior of xfs_grow ... But as always on filesystem tasks: make a backup bevor playing around! Sc0rp

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, the command will be something like: mdadm --assemble /dev/mdX /dev/sd[abcdef] (change the X to 0,126 or 127 ... whatever you want) if that fails try to force it: mdadm --assemble --force /dev/mdX /dev/sd[abcdef] BUT: You should find the root-cause for this behavior first - just check the logs for any error message! cat /var/log/messages | grep KEYWORD (KEYWORD is something like md, sda, sdb, sd..., raid, ...) cat /var/log/syslog | grep KEYWORD Sc0rp

• Possible to grow linear pool?

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from subzero79: “Is the same for linear, one drive goes south array dies also, is on the kernel wiki. ” Nope, it may stand on the kernel-wiki, but i had ages bevor an RAID0 linear setup ... you can read the remaining disks. It's not easy, of course, but possible ... but anyway, today i would do this never again! Sc0rp

• MDADM Error Messages

Sc0rp - - General

Hi, can you please provide a screenshot or similar? Sometimes the message is normal, since mdadm works with auto-detection ... but not "repeatedly". Sc0rp

• Re, since i'm not an developer even a programmer at all - i'll repeat myself: Quote from Sc0rp: “Nope, cause i'm to stupid ” I can only provide the plattform/hardware ... sry anyway ... therefore i wrote: Quote from Sc0rp: “If you need some special tasks, please contact me. ” Since i have the "Test-NAS" build, which can be (mis-) used for any testing tasks (currently at OMV 4.x), i'm able to test whatever you want, but i need the instructions ... Sc0rp

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from Nibb31: “RAID0 is really a bad idea for a NAS. If one of your drives dies, then you lose everything on all the drives. I suggest you get rid of that setup ASAP! ” That's not correct for linear-mode! There you'll only loose the data from the failed drive and the (both) files, which are held at the beginning and the end of the failed drive. Sc0rp

• Re, Quote from bug11: “Have you submitted your information in the bugtracker? ” Nope, cause i'm to stupid Sc0rp

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from elastic: “I could do the whole ZFS thing, but I have mixed feelings about the whole scrubbing feature. ” Hmm, scrubbing an array (of which technology ever) is pure basic "array management". You need this to evaluate your redundacny and integrity - how will you achive this without "scrubbing" (or any other ongoing messurment)? Scrubbing belongs to it, that's a fact. Avoiding this, you can not use any array-technology ... Quote from elastic: “I'm eventually going to have (8) 8TB dri…

Sc0rp - - RAID

Re, Quote from elastic: “I've heard of UFS but have no experience with it. I'm eventually planning on switching to RAID 6. How would I go about growing it then? ” RAID6 is possible but old fashion, why not use ZFS instead? ZFS-Z2 in case of RAID6 equivalent ... but it depends highly on the usecase, because you can also setup a SnapRAID/mergerfs construct (deals with redundancy with up to six parity drives too). Sc0rp

• Moving a shared folder between filesystems

Sc0rp - - General

Re, you can either expand the colums in the WebGUI to see more informations (filesystems view), and you have to revert the konfigurations steps. You can also use the "locate" plugin Sc0rp