Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 420.

• Not sure if it's in the core or in omv-extras. The extras plugin is pretty much mandatory anyway.

• Have you tried using the Remote Shares plugin ?

• How to see on which drive the OS is?

Nibb31 - - General

The system drive is hidden from the OMV user interface.

• Snapraid outofparity error

Nibb31 - - Plugins

Is there anything else on the parity drive ?

• How can I see Physical HDDs?

Nibb31 - - General

You need to passthrough the physical drives to the VM.

• How to use gpio with raspi and OMV

Nibb31 - - General

A Raspberry is already underpowered for a NAS, why would you want to use the GPIOs at the same time ? Anyway, GPIOs are accessible just like any Raspberry.

• Possible to grow linear pool?

Nibb31 - - RAID

RAID0 is really a bad idea for a NAS. If one of your drives dies, then you lose everything on all the drives. I suggest you get rid of that setup ASAP! Why do you need RAID at all? Do you have customers that expect 100% uptime ? Do you lose money if your data is unavailable for a day or two ? If not, then you don't need RAID, you need BACKUP.

• Raid 10 boot - how to?

Nibb31 - - RAID

If the OS dies, you reinstall. It's usually faster than messing around with clonezilla.

• Your drives are no longer under /media but under /srv/

• Wide ram consumption

Nibb31 - - General

Linux memory management tends to use all the RAM that's available by keeping applications in memory and only frees RAM when another process needs it. This is perfectly normal behavior for Linux.

• You don't yet.

• If the OS drive fails, your individual drives remain accessible as individual drives. You recreate the pool and your back to business. For where new files are written, you define the policy: it can be in existing folders, or it can go to the drive with the most space, etc...) Duplicate files (same folder, same filename) cause ambiguity, so you have to avoid them as much as possible. There are tools for deduping, but it's best to just rename folders before you create the pool and always go throug…

• Expanding my storage. Need suggestions.

Nibb31 - - General

Mergerfs is a layer on top of the actual filesystem. It simply creates another drive on your system that merges together the contents of all the drives in the pool. Those drives are left intact and can still be accessed individually, so there is no need to copy or move the data. Once you have a pool like that, you shouldn't have to worry about what data is on what drive, that's the whole point. It acts as a single big disk. But you can still look at the contents of each drive if you really want …

• Expanding my storage. Need suggestions.

Nibb31 - - General

Assuming your microserver has 4 bays, keeping 2 backups of the same data in the same device isn't much of a backup. If that 6TB backup drive is already a backup of other data, you might want to consider putting the second backup drive in an external USB enclosure that you could move to a different location (attached to a router for example, ideally at a friend's house). You could also consider mergerfs drive pooling, with the Union Filesystems plugin. This combines your larger drives into a sing…

• Solved? OMV and software raid 5

Nibb31 - - My NAS Build

There isn't much to gain from compression if most of your media is already heavily compressed, which is usually the case for media files, movies, audio, photos... For me, it's a level of complexity for very little (if any) gain.

• ESXi and OMV on HP Proliant G8 - Advice

Nibb31 - - General

You just need to passthrough the drives to the OMV VM.

• If you want backup, you want a local NAS and some sort of remote storage for backup.

• SMB/CIFS Write access denied

Nibb31 - - CIFS/SMB

Using an RPI as a NAS for vital professional data is extremely risky.

• Sharing OMV shares over the Internet

Nibb31 - - General

I would question why you want direct SMB access over the internet instead of a syncing or streaming solution.

• Noob: SMB works, NFS worth it?

Nibb31 - - General

Seriously, you aren't even using a powered drive? Your hardware is completely inadequate for what you want to do. You have bigger problems than choosing the sharing protocol.