Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 587.

• Raid5 inactive- Need help please

flmaxey - - RAID

One last thing: The following will remove sdd from the array: Source Code (1 line)

flmaxey - - RAID

Quote from kaly: “I cannot backup anymore, too much IO error. I will start to replace sdd because it is not visible by the array. I will replace the disk and run mdadm /dev/md127 -a /dev/sddIs it the best way to replace the disk ? What should I do if recovery failed ? ” (Sorry - I didn't get notified of your last two posts, for some unknown reason.) While the array may not have died completely, if you can't pull data from it, functionally it's dead. Further, if recovery fails, the remaining data…

• Cannot view filesystem after creation

flmaxey - - General

While that solution is years old, that's something to note for future ref! In my version of /etc/resolv.conf I have: # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8) # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN nameserver 127.0.0.1 search homenet From the look of it, this file is used by the DHCP client. ___________________________________ You could get past all future issues with DNS, when running OMV, with the following: forum.openmediavault…

flmaxey - - General

I'm running OMV on AMD processors, in virtual machines, without issues. x64 editions work on both Intel64 and AMD. How about starting over. (A rebuild doesn't take very long.) After the install is complete, do the updates in update management, before proceeding. After that's done, upload the file, install the extras plugin. Enable the OMV-Extras repo's, do apt clean button and apt update button. Then load the ZFS plugin. (nothing else.)

flmaxey - - General

I just noticed that the commands apt-get clean and apt-get update can be done in the GUI, as follows. forum.openmediavault.org/index…23c937bc87ab38aa980b173f2 Removing your extra plugins, but leaving OMV-Extras in place (and using the buttons) should be enough.

flmaxey - - General

Just to confirm, you are using OMV 3.0.X now, right? The file link above is only for OMV3. Also it would be best to do updates before installing plugin's First, uninstall plugins you may have added, then uninstall the openmediavault-omvextrasorg plugin. Do your updates under System, Update Management. (The updates that have "firmware" in their name are for hardware specific items. If you don't have the hardware, don't try to install the update. The majority of them will not apply.) _____________…

flmaxey - - General

I failed to note that you were using the Beta (OMV4.X). Still, that is ODD behavior even for the Beta, but I'm sure the Dev's will catch up to it. In any case, it's good that your sata order is sorted out and, as they say, all is well that ends well. _____________________________________________ If you're going to do a RAID mirror (RAID1) ZFS is far superior to mdadm RAID. However, as a threshold warning: Note that ZFS is not native to the Linux kernel. The ZFS plugin/package compiles a kernel …

flmaxey - - General

I failed to note that you were using the Beta (OMV4.X). Still, that is ODD behavior even for the Beta, but I'm sure the Dev's will catch up to it. In any case, it's better that your sata order is sorted out and, as they say, all's well that ends well. _____________________________________________ If you're going to do RAID (of any kind) ZFS is far superior to mdadm RAID. However, as a threshold warning: Note that ZFS is not native to the Linux kernel. The ZFS plugin/package compiles a kernel soc…

flmaxey - - General

Putty is a way to get to the command line of your server, from a windows client. You could, also, use the plugin "shellinabox 3.4". (If you want guidance on that, I can help you with loading "shellinabox" as well.) On the rest, if you have some patience (and time, important) I'm willing to stick with this until it's beyond me (and I'll be honest about that assessment). Please post your findings. (Good or bad) We all, to include those who are having the same problem, learn from those who are will…

flmaxey - - General

The drives appear to be fine. And you say this happens with both freeNAS and OMV? The problem in this, from a troubleshoot view point, is that anything on the command line won't work without a mounted file system. (So, before looking at manually mounting a file system on the CLI.) Bear with me in the following - this is speculation - but a bit of speculation may be in order if this is happening with two different operating systems. (This may be some sort of hardware or BIOS limitation.) ________…

flmaxey - - General

A quick wipe is fine. (Secure wipe is a way to erase the contents of the drive. Usually not necessary.) It's not necessary to separate the drives for SMART. For data drives, SMART stat's are independent of the file system.

flmaxey - - General

The purpose of formatting the individual drives was to see if they "disappeared". If they didn't, I wouldn't be sure were to go from there, except to (potentially) ZFS. ____________________________________ Can I assume that your smart counts for the following are Zero? SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count. SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors. SMART 188 – Command_Timeout. SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count. SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable. ____________________________________ RE. ZFS.…

flmaxey - - General

Wait, I reviewed your screen shots and there may be a question of the order in which you're doing this. The correct order would be. 1. Wipe your disks 2. Create your RAID array 3. Then format the array with a file system. (which now appears as a single entity - probably md0.) _______________________________________ If you're doing RAID1, could I talk you into ZFS?

flmaxey - - General

Yep, just for a test. If you use ext4, the format is a minute or so for each drive. Then, enable smart and see what you have. The most important stat's to look at, in attempting to predict hard drive failure, are: SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count. SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors. SMART 188 – Command_Timeout. SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count. SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable. See what your counts are. If you have a drive going south, even mdadm RAID might reject it.

• With your connection to the the Internet being the bottleneck, "downloading" doesn't represent enough I/O to stress a hard drive. Adding to that, coping from host to host on your LAN or streaming media couldn't stress a hard drive either. (While considerably faster when compared to downloading, the network stack and other factors still create a significant I/O bottleneck.) Local, hard drive to hard drive, copies represent high I/O but, typically, these events don't last long enough to make a dif…

• omv 3 only seeing 4 gigs ram

flmaxey - - General

Maybe you have a bad module? Have you tested with memtest86+ ?

• Quote from geaves: “ now that is funny....I was talking to a female at a call centre the other, for some reason we got talking and she was telling me when she goes out shopping with her granddaughter and grandmother they usually end in McDonalds, one normal meal and two happy meals so happy meals aren't just for the kids ” There's a fast food place, close by, name Hardee's. They sell a meal that consists of 2 small burgers, a small fry, a cookie, and a small drink for $5 USD. (In the US, in most…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from flmaxey: “the reason for installing the flashmemory plugin in is to reduce the frequency and size of the writes to your flash media. With flash media, the number of times a single location can be written is finite. ” The real problem is 'write amplification' and that writing 1 byte at a time at the filesystem layer to any flash media might end up with magnitudes more data being written at the flash layer (that's all write amplification is describing). That's what …

• Since the thread question had been answered, it's probably time to start a new thread in General. (From here, you'll be looking at configuration items and issues.) ________________________________________ On the flashmemory plugin, it's a good thing you caught that. Just having it installed doesn't work. (I learned that the hard way, awhile ago.) I believe the flashmemory plugin had a toggle button at one time. Now, I imagine having it installed, configured, and with the reboot, It must be worki…

flmaxey - - RAID

It's time to prioritize. 1. The first thing you should do is copy data you don't want to lose off of the array. (Copy it to an external USB drive or another LAN host?) This is the first priority because you're in a high risk scenario. RAID5 + 2 disk failures = Total Loss. If you want to save your data, I wouldn't waste any time copying it to another location. By the way, I wouldn't reboot the NAS until your data is safe. **With two weak disks, I wouldn't attempt a rebuild because rebuilds are dr…