Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 677.

• Weird behaviour with docker on omv4

flmaxey - - General

It's good that you're set and we both learned something in this. _____________________________________________ I guess one would have to understand both architectures very well (armhf and aarch64), AND be able to get down in the weeds with Dockers, to explain the behavior. O-PI PC2's are supposed to be compatible with R-PI software... That has me wondering if R-PI's would use armhf or aarch64 Dockers? Regardless.... Since this is your thread: If you can, maybe you should insert orange pi pc2 and…

• Using Win32diskimager 1.0, I just imaged my working USB3 boot drive (32GB) to a file. The read was 7 minutes. The verification process of the file took another 7 minutes. Writes take much longer - it looks like it might be 1:30 or so. A verification adds another 7 more minutes to that. In any case, write times are not a factor if the active boot drive is plugged back in, immediately after the read. (I don't know where I got write times for the post above but with the server up and running, gener…

flmaxey - - General

I agree - having a solid cloned boot drive backup is good enough. (Hardware redundancy is a bit much for home use but that's the datacenter mentality talking. Old habits die hard.) I have to say thou, I've learned something in this thread: O-PI PC2's seem to be a true value item with GB Ethernet to boot. I was shocked at the price. I'm going to look at comparative performance data and maybe pick up one or two. Now that I know they'll run Dockers, (thanks for that BTW) I can think of a couple use…

flmaxey - - General

Since you can't test Arm stuff in a VM: Get a 2nd O-PI too. (I have 2 R-PI's and 3 SDcards.) It's not that much of an investment and you'd have a hardware platform backup as well. With a 2nd O-pi and a cloned boot card, you could accurately test, well,, anything,,, with Zero risk to your working rig. (Um,, sorry 'bout that... - the "conservative" persona gets out of hand from time to time. ) _______________________________ A last thing about downloading a newer Docker and testing it side by side…

flmaxey - - General

It's good you got what you needed. All's well that ends well. Quote from Trash_Can_Man: “also in your pihole example i just downloaded the main "multiarch" package, im guessing that it auto-detect the system arch and probably there is where my problems started because i assumed that armhf where the better choice overall in my case.. ” I wouldn't count on an "auto-detect" feature. I'm not saying it didn't work that way, in this particular case, but there are 100,000+ Dockers out there and such th…

flmaxey - - General

Since architecture is a concern - a note regarding getting the right image: When pulling an image from the Docker Hub, most Docker Dev's assume you want (1) the latest image and (2) the most popular architecture which tend to be Debian varieties (not Armbian and similar). Accordingly, if you leave the tag field blank, that's what you'll tend to get (usually Debian or other mainstream Linux distro's). To look for the correct tag, if you click on the ! , it will take you to the image Docker Hub Pa…

flmaxey - - General

In some cases, if you can isolate the file that stores configuration settings and use Volumes and Bind points to map the inside folder containing the config file to the outside, your settings may become persistent and survive container restarts. (On the other hand, I've seen a case where the mapping process killed the container and I have no idea why it would.) When it comes to permissions, "root" is at the root of the problem (pardon the pun). A Docker, in most practical senses, is a Virtual Ma…

• What Docker are you working on and what are you trying to connect it to? /srv on the host side is not a good folder to try to place under the control of Docker (and a child container). /srv is where OMV creates paths to physical hard drives and remote mounts. In any case, it's not a good idea to try to place a shared folder under the control of a Docker. Set up an, as yet, uncreated folder at the root of OMV, using Volumes and Binds in a Docker container, like I did in the reference picture. May…

flmaxey - - General

Don't get me wrong when I say arm devices are underpowered. (They are, of course.) I'm an R-PI user and I've found that if it's used as nothing but a static file server for 1 or 2 users, an R-PI is enough. It's slow, much slower than what you're using, but for shuffling files around on occasion, in a strict NAS only role, it gets the job done. (At at less than 12 watts.) It was when I attempted to expand to include other services that it's limitations became apparent. On the other hand, you're r…

• As a quick disclaimer: Running OMV/Docker combinations inside of a VM, is the net equivalent of running a VM within a VM. Odd things with access to physical drives and permissions can, and do, happen. ______________________________________________________ A Remote Mount folder is as close to having a folder or network share, "local", as is possible. If the local root account has write access to the remote Synology share, for all intents and purposes, it is local. Dockers, on the other hand, are …

flmaxey - - General

First, I don't know the development state of OMV 4 or the Docker plugin that's paired to it, but it seems like you have a lot going on in the way of networked Dockers. While not recommended by the image Dev' of Pi-hole, the macvlan driver was used to make a separate IP address (and port 80) available to the pi-hole container without conflicting with OMV's console. (In this case, Pi-hole needed port 80 to be 100% functional.) With that noted, I don't know how many individual IP addresses a macvla…

• Ridiculously Low Write speed

flmaxey - - General

Quote from the_nas_noob: “I'm using everything wired. im using 3.0.88 ” Setting R-PI performance aside, there are numerous factors involved in network bottlenecks. Age, settings, link speed, type of router/switches, competing traffic from other "chatty" network devices, etc. (Still, even consumer routers and switches should be able to handle "wire speed".) The only item I can think of where OMV might be a factor would be if eth0 didn't negotiate speed and duplex correctly. On the command line l…

• Ridiculously Low Write speed

flmaxey - - General

Quote from the_nas_noob: “/---/ The drives are not slow because when i directly connect them to my pc i get 30-40MBps speeds.I'm testing speeds by copying movies to the nas. Please help me figure out what do! **edit: restarting my router helped a bit. I'm getting around 1.5MBps now. ” **If you're looking for raw throughput speed, wireless is not the way to go.** ______________________________ An R-PI costs around $35. If you think about it, its' performance is in line with what you paid for it. …

• Quote from daveinfla: “I guess I was looking for what best practices would be. If I don't plan on using any other file systems (Im using ZFS why would I?), is there any downside to putting it in the root? ” There's no downside that I know of. My pool is on the root. I prefer it there to simplify permissions. (A long string of folders can complicate things unnecessarily.) Quote from daveinfla: “I think we covered this before but in the above reference screenshot, doesn't what your calling a file …

• Quote from daveinfla: “I just created my pool named pool1, are you implying that the mount point should be /srv/pool1 vs the default /pool1 ? ” By default, with other file systems like EXT4, OMV sets a drive path to /srv/disk-by-label-NAME. (It looks something like this: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SG3TB) If you don't specify the path, your pool will be set at the root of the boot drive. (I.E. /pool1) That's where my pool is, /ZFS1. There's no right or wrong here. You can go either way. Don't forget …

• Quote from geaves: “Quote from flmaxey: “What you're describing is why I have a 3rd clone, the "master" ” That was my idea over the holiday...still hasn't happened and it was also an idea to test out dd using my Mint laptop rather than win32image on a spare W7 laptop which takes 3 hours to read and write an image. ” Good grief, 3 hours? With 2 drives, it's no wonder why you've been reluctant to clone. I've been reading and writing 32GB images to/from drives in roughly 30 minutes each way (1 hour…

• Quote from geaves: “ That's a bit of pia, have you got a howto on that as well I just cloned mine after the docker update. But saying that the cloned usb took 3 attempts to start, when I connected a monitor the boot process seemed to stop on an acpi error.....but after what seemed an age it did start on the third attempt and I've since left it alone. ” How To: Container - delete. Image - delete. Macvlan driver - delete. Install the new image according to the guide. (I tested it again, as the gui…

• The good news. There's a docker update for pi-hole that's just 4 days old. (While my old container was functionally fine, something weird happened to the console page. The graphs went haywire.) So, I tested the latest image and got it work on two different platforms. The bad news. As it seems, the old container must be stopped/deleted and the old image must be deleted as well. Also, as it seems, it's easier to delete the macvlan driver and rebuild it fresh. (The driver can hang when disconnectin…

• ZFS Degraded Pool

flmaxey - - General

Quote from bookie56: “Been looking at this motherboard bookie56 ” Holy Toledo! That is one expensive Mobo - dual Xeon's..!!! But, and this is an opinion, do you really need anything more than an i3? (Unless you're doing something else I'm not aware of:) If you're just moving files around, and most of it is static storage (not transactional), hot processors are just going to be idle. In your case as I understand it, the network would be the bottleneck, not the CPU. For a client build a few months…

• ZFS Degraded Pool

flmaxey - - General

For safety, I'd considering cloning the boot drive before booting it on another box.