Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 193.

• RE:

Eryan - - My NAS Build

Quote from doman18: “One more thing ... Quote from Eryan: “Finally, the mini PCIe slot seems to recognize Wlan cards only, meaning that some bios-tweaking is also required. ” How do you know that? Did you try to put anything else from WLAN card? Because the fact that mobo did recognise CrystalHD without any hack is very promising. Quote from marz: “Too bad the chipset only supports 2 SATA because it looks like there is room for an additional SATA connector next to the blue one. (I believe I read…

• RE:

Eryan - - My NAS Build

Quote from doman18: “Quote from Eryan: “1. @ngevan2k managed to get 8 Gb of RAM because he modified the Bios. AFAIK the Atom 230/330 can use more than 4 Gb of RAM, but in the FX 160 that amount is limited to 4. There are no special versions nor special chips built in the FX 160. ” But he wrote that it was simple and he didnt have to do any hacks to do that? And is it possible to overcome chipset limits with some bios hack anyway? Another question is - is it worth to buy 2x2GB sticks anyway? If a…

• Dell Optiplex FX160 Thin Client

Eryan - - My NAS Build

I can perhaps help with some of the questions: 1. @ngevan2k managed to get 8 Gb of RAM because he modified the Bios. AFAIK the Atom 230/330 can use more than 4 Gb of RAM, but in the FX 160 that amount is limited to 4. There are no special versions nor special chips built in the FX 160. 2. I've heard mixed opinions regarding the Crytal HD. Some people got it to work without fuzzle. Nonetheless, having the card won't help you with Plex. Plex relies purely on CPU for transcoding. You can take advan…

• Quote from iNTiGOD: “I struggled to get pihole working with docker and ended up getting a rpi zero w. Would love to see a step by step guide though.” I am having also issues with Docker and was also considering just using a Raspi. Wanted to test it first with a DietPi VM or something along the lines, but for simplicity's sake chances are that I'll go the Raspi way. Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

• Running Pi-hole docker, anyone?

Eryan - - Plugins

Somewhat bumping this post. I would also like to install Pi-Hole within a Docker, but I am having issues to to configure it and make it work. Any help with the configuration is highly appreciated.

• I am not familiar with docker to be honest. Will look onto that. Thanks! EDIT: After looking at Docker, it certainly is a far better approach to use PiHole since I do not need to make a full OS install (the case for the VM option). Now, if I install PiHole in Docker, will the docker have its own IP Address different from OMW? The reason being that I have to point the router DNS server to the IP of PiHole in order for it to work.

• Hello Forum! I've been playing for a while with the idea of setting a PiHole server at home. The most straightforward way to do it would be to set up a Rasperry Pi and finito! However, being the curious non-straightforward guy that I am, I thought about setting PiHole in my server as a VM. As background information, the motherboard on my OMV server is an Intel DQ77KB which has 2 (Intel) NICs. My original idea was to let OMV work exclusively with one NIC and set the second one exclusively for PiH…

• RE:

Eryan - - Network

Quote from raulfg3: “NO , you only need something like myDDNS.DDNS.org/webdav to acess your shared folder” The sharing with WebDAV works, however in order to see a picture I have to download it to the computer in order to see it. I thought that it could see the pictures directly in the web browser. Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

• Fair enough. I already have something similar for the VPN. I'll give it a try and report back. Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

• I completely forgot about WebDAV! That would certainly do the trick. I assume that an open port in my router is necessary. Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

• Hello forum! I must admit that regarding networking I know as much as a pig knows of physics, therefore I turn to you with a simple question. As a little background, I've been using OpenVPN to access my home network and tunnel my smartphone network traffic thru my house when not at home. I've successfully used it during my vacations and it worked perfectly to both protect my network traffic and to gain access to all my stuff on my server from wherever I am. After the vacations I returned with a …

Eryan - - My NAS Build

Hi @ngevan2k, did you managed to have a stable version of your FX160 hacked Bios? I would really like to use it in my FX160 (probably I am not the only one), mainly to have a little bit more of ram, take advantage of the 64 bit OS and probably add an Intel 7260. Would you be so kind to provide us with your modded Bios? I am willing to buy you a couple of beers in exchange!

• Fanless NAS?

Eryan - - My NAS Build

I would bet that the thumb drive is the issue. I ran my OMV for quite some time with an Atom 330 without issues. Surely it wasn't a performance beast, bit was more than enough and required less than 15 W Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

• Fanless NAS?

Eryan - - My NAS Build

Perhaps the low performance and instability is a side effect of installing in an old thumb drive. Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

• Fanless NAS?

Eryan - - My NAS Build

You could try installing OMV on the EMMC, swap included. 4 GB are not much, but it should be enough for standard OMV usage. That way you can use the Data with a mechanical drive for data. The suggestion of using an external usb3 drive is also valid, but I personally like keeping everything packed within the case, that is, no USB drives hanging on the outside. It is a matter of taste. Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

• My new thin client NAS

Eryan - - My NAS Build

Interesting solution! I just found this little Thin Clients on Ebay, and was playing with the idea to use one as HTPC. Does it has issues with Full HD video decoding? The integrated Radeon HD 6320 should be enough, but I have my doubts.

• dell-optiplex-755

Eryan - - My NAS Build

From the hardware side, it should not be an issue for OMV. I will certainly run without issues for your back up tasks. I ran my server on an Optiplex 960 for a while and it was pretty good. The build quality of the computer is superb and they tend to be really quiet. However, if the server is going to be 24/7 and you are concerned about power consumption, I would look somewhere else (that's why I replaced mine). The CPUs used on that generation are actually really power efficient, but the chipse…

Eryan - - My NAS Build

I remember that I managed to find a mobo that could be powered thru the 4 pin power connector only. Those kind of mobos are rather old. Nowadays many (if not all) are powered with the standard 24 pin connector or a DC jack. An alternative would be to use a mobo with a DC jack. I am currently using an Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB in my OMV server. It is a hell of a mainboard, somewhat old but still it offers quite a bunch of features and really good quality in a very small package. It can be powere…

Eryan - - My NAS Build

Quote from darakanoit: “Hello all. How to connect the power supply?I want to put another motherboard, but leave the power supply.Is it possible to? ” It might be possible, given that you find a mini-ITX mobo that can be powered with a 4 pin connector (in order to keep the PSU). However, there are some issues to overcome: - You'll have to do some heavy modding to the case. You'll have to cut the back to make place for the backplate/connectors of your new mobo and somehow screw the it to the case,…

Eryan - - My NAS Build

Quote from ngevan2k: “Hacking the BIOS is rather easy. I just needed to get some stuff before I could proceed. I got a 4315 and also an Intel 6200 which works without modifying anything. ” Let me get that straight. Did you successfully tested an Intel 6200 without modifying the BIOS? Or you did modify it to remove the white list? I am asking because I am planning to re-purpose the FX 160 as a secondary back up machine for my main server. I would love to connect it to my network with gigabit, but…