Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 688.

• Since powering off forces a (dirty) unmount and powering on, after OMV is running, requires a mount: You might want to look at this thread. Here's an external link to installing usbmount on the command line. It includes a few lines on the filesystems it works with, a bit about configuring it, etc. Here's a link to usage considerations.

• Quote from macoslog: “/---/ ....and i can still use that old machine on my solar energy..... Have a great week end!! macoslog ” This is off topic: I was under the impression that being off the grid, or at least being more energy independent with solar panels, was about eliminating or trying to reduce unnecessary power loads. 200 watts, for the old MacPro, is the output of the average panel in sunshine. In the dusk and dawn periods, it's much less and at night it's (obviously) zero. Using batteri…

• If pi-hole works, it works. A pretty console is not a big deal, IMO. I updated the pi-hole "How To". Other than the need to wait a few minutes for the console to come up after a start/restart, there's no difference in setup. It is a bit better in the graphs and stat's offered, but the real bonus the new version offers is DNSSEC (In, Settings, DNS). I'm using it with Google and Norton public servers. With DNS middle man attacks eliminated or at least reduced, it would have to be more secure. Of c…

• Well, this development vindicates you because,, umm,, I thought you were guilty.... Since I've seen this sort of thing before when others modify part of the OMV config on the command line,, well... (Not this error exactly.) So, really, it boiled down to a monit config changed that didn't take place - and a reset updated the config. I'll tell you, as I was tracing through the paths, scripts and configs associated with monit, in the OMV system, I was amazed. It would take hours and a whiteboard fl…

• What are you using as a boot drive? (Hopefully it's a USB drive.) If you have a spare, you could set aside your current boot drive, do a clean new build on the spare and see if your pool imports cleanly into the spare. __________________________________________________________ On the other hand: With nothing else found in OMV's config files (the important ones), this seems to be an issue with monit. (If you removed the drive correctly, some monit config file didn't update?) Based on the syslog, …

• Of drive related files, you've looked at the 3 main config files. To continue along the original line, I'd look closely at log files (syslog) for something that would indicate what the source of the error might be, but I couldn't tell you what exactly to look for in the file or where that might lead. You can look in the GUI under Diagnostics, System Logs. While your pool is still intact, do you have back up? As it seems, you pitched the old NTFS drive that had your data on it so the question is;…

• Before starting down this road: Depending on how far you're into your configuration, importing your new pool into a fresh OMV build is a nice clean option. Let me put that out there. ______________________________________________________________________ The main config file for OMV is: /etc/openmediavault/config.xml It's obvious that it's a script/DB defining parameters so it's important to differentiate between Headings (which must remain) and the entries under them. [Note - depending on how yo…

• Man,, a trip down the stairs,, the HARD way. (Just tell me the wife or the number 1 son didn't "assist" you. ) A stomach viral infection too... That's insult to injury. Yeah, medical issues as we get older,, "bleep" ! ___________________ On cloning- remember shutdown and coming up is about a 1.5 to 2 minute process. If you do your process to accommodate uptime, your down time shouldn't take any longer than it takes to read and verify your working drive. (About 15 minutes.) After that, with the i…

• The thread made it seem as if you destroyed a ZFS pool on the command line. If setup in OMV, an Rsync job usually sits on top of a share. In your case reversing the process would have been; 1. Delete Rsync Job(s) 2. Delete SMB/CIF share (if used) 2. Delete the shared folder (associated with this particular drive) 3. Unmount the file system **After the drive's file system is unmounted, OMV won't look for it anymore." At this point, you could delete the files system, wipe it and use it again. 4. R…

• Quote from daveinfla: “I have the same issue, how did you fix it? ” The "fix" might involve looking for old ZFS entries in etc/mtab and removing them. Then it would be looking for the dead ZFS array name, pool and filesystem UUID's and for ZFS filesystems <fsname>, directories <dir>, and other entries in OMV's config file (/etc/openmediavault/config.xml) that reference the dead array. An easier path might be to remove the ZFS plugin in the GUI, then reinstall it. (See what happens.) In the botto…

• Just about anything is possible but there is the matter of what makes sense. Do you want a server or a workstation? What you seem to be proposing is the installation of desktop software on a server. A desktop, versus a server, are two completely different uses of a PC. For example: _________________Workstation _____________ NAS / Server Desktop____________ Yes --------------------------No (in most cases) Monitor?____________ Yes--------------------------No - Headless (in many cases) Software app…

• Weird behaviour with docker on omv4

flmaxey - - General

It's good that you're set and we both learned something in this. _____________________________________________ I guess one would have to understand both architectures very well (armhf and aarch64), AND be able to get down in the weeds with Dockers, to explain the behavior. O-PI PC2's are supposed to be compatible with R-PI software... That has me wondering if R-PI's would use armhf or aarch64 Dockers? Regardless.... Since this is your thread: If you can, maybe you should insert orange pi pc2 and…

• Using Win32diskimager 1.0, I just imaged my working USB3 boot drive (32GB) to a file. The read was 7 minutes. The verification process of the file took another 7 minutes. Writes take much longer - it looks like it might be 1:30 or so. A verification adds another 7 more minutes to that. In any case, write times are not a factor if the active boot drive is plugged back in, immediately after the read. (I don't know where I got write times for the post above but with the server up and running, gener…

flmaxey - - General

I agree - having a solid cloned boot drive backup is good enough. (Hardware redundancy is a bit much for home use but that's the datacenter mentality talking. Old habits die hard.) I have to say thou, I've learned something in this thread: O-PI PC2's seem to be a true value item with GB Ethernet to boot. I was shocked at the price. I'm going to look at comparative performance data and maybe pick up one or two. Now that I know they'll run Dockers, (thanks for that BTW) I can think of a couple use…

flmaxey - - General

Since you can't test Arm stuff in a VM: Get a 2nd O-PI too. (I have 2 R-PI's and 3 SDcards.) It's not that much of an investment and you'd have a hardware platform backup as well. With a 2nd O-pi and a cloned boot card, you could accurately test, well,, anything,,, with Zero risk to your working rig. (Um,, sorry 'bout that... - the "conservative" persona gets out of hand from time to time. ) _______________________________ A last thing about downloading a newer Docker and testing it side by side…

flmaxey - - General

It's good you got what you needed. All's well that ends well. Quote from Trash_Can_Man: “also in your pihole example i just downloaded the main "multiarch" package, im guessing that it auto-detect the system arch and probably there is where my problems started because i assumed that armhf where the better choice overall in my case.. ” I wouldn't count on an "auto-detect" feature. I'm not saying it didn't work that way, in this particular case, but there are 100,000+ Dockers out there and such th…

flmaxey - - General

Since architecture is a concern - a note regarding getting the right image: When pulling an image from the Docker Hub, most Docker Dev's assume you want (1) the latest image and (2) the most popular architecture which tend to be Debian varieties (not Armbian and similar). Accordingly, if you leave the tag field blank, that's what you'll tend to get (usually Debian or other mainstream Linux distro's). To look for the correct tag, if you click on the ! , it will take you to the image Docker Hub Pa…

flmaxey - - General

In some cases, if you can isolate the file that stores configuration settings and use Volumes and Bind points to map the inside folder containing the config file to the outside, your settings may become persistent and survive container restarts. (On the other hand, I've seen a case where the mapping process killed the container and I have no idea why it would.) When it comes to permissions, "root" is at the root of the problem (pardon the pun). A Docker, in most practical senses, is a Virtual Ma…

• What Docker are you working on and what are you trying to connect it to? /srv on the host side is not a good folder to try to place under the control of Docker (and a child container). /srv is where OMV creates paths to physical hard drives and remote mounts. In any case, it's not a good idea to try to place a shared folder under the control of a Docker. Set up an, as yet, uncreated folder at the root of OMV, using Volumes and Binds in a Docker container, like I did in the reference picture. May…

flmaxey - - General

Don't get me wrong when I say arm devices are underpowered. (They are, of course.) I'm an R-PI user and I've found that if it's used as nothing but a static file server for 1 or 2 users, an R-PI is enough. It's slow, much slower than what you're using, but for shuffling files around on occasion, in a strict NAS only role, it gets the job done. (At at less than 12 watts.) It was when I attempted to expand to include other services that it's limitations became apparent. On the other hand, you're r…