Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 942.

• ZFS Degraded Pool

flmaxey - - General

Look at the plugin after you install it. To finish it, there are a couple manual edits to /etc/fstab.

• Disk dropped out of array

flmaxey - - RAID

A higher spin rate generally provides better access times and higher transfer rate. However, with faster rotation speeds comes higher current and significantly more heat. This is just an opinion: I don't buy their explanation. I'm not saying that it's not true, but if it is, their PS design criteria seems to be lacking. We're talking about a difference of 10%. Good design in power supplies would demand far more than 10% for margin. Further, motor start up surge current is far higher than when th…

• Windows not finding network path

flmaxey - - General

Quote from richprim: “but when you spend someone else's money to build a machine and it doesn't work. Well you look like you don't know what you are doing. ” I get the feeling the "someone else's money" was spent strictly on hardware - not an IT consulting fee. _____________________________________________ BTW: The registry edits from the How To don't "add" anything to Windows 10. Those settings are already there, running in the background, with SMB 3.1.1 set as preferred. Therein lays the probl…

flmaxey - - RAID

(Without knowing the age of the drives - I assumed they were relatively new.) I'd still be somewhat concerned about the reason "why". On the other hand, mdadm RAID has been known to throw a drive out of an array without a clear explanation. The wipe function (quick wipe) clears the partition table and any non-persistent partition flags. It doesn't actually wipe the drive. LVM, mdadm RAID (on occasion), and GPT partition flags have been known to survive the wipe process. If you want to wipe a dri…

• ZFS Degraded Pool

flmaxey - - General

I'm looking at this from a troubleshooting perspective: If you're using the same PC (the one that showed errors with ZFS), I'd do an OMV installation to a USB drive which bypasses the Mobo sata controller. A couple data storage possibilities I'd entertain: 1. Format the disks BTRFS, which works great on single disks. (I'm using BTRFS on a single 4TB backup drive.) If you want a common mount point for a few drives, maybe use the UnionFS plugin. I'd avoid LVM because it restructures disk storage w…

• The last item, the desktop short cut using the server's IP address for the target (\\192.168.X.XX). Also, the Host file edit + a short cut with the server name in the target (\\hostname), should work in nearly any circumstance. _________________________________________ I say "nearly" because M$ and their OEM partners seem to dream up ever more imaginative ways of manipulating LAN traffic. Therein, lays an enormous problem. If Windows is built from retail media, the build is different (sometimes …

flmaxey - - RAID

You might be able to get an idea of what's going on Storage, RAID Management, Click on the array and then the Detail button. _________________________________________________ I can see that you're booting from a flash device, so; In most cases, /dev/sda is assigned to the first sata port. (The markings on boards may vary - the first port can be sata0 or sata1) /dev/sdb goes to the next sata port and so on. Regarding, "getting the drive(s) back in": It was booted out of the array for a reason. Ha…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from richprim: “Wow that's a lot of stuff to do, not sure I want to mess with that on someone else's computer. I did by accident find that if I " Added a network location" this allowed me to get access to the server. ” As I sifted through some of the variables, I found there are lots of reasons why Windows 10 doesn't see OMV and, in some cases, even other Windows PC's. 1. Three items as outlined in the How To would do the trick in many cases: Set Private Network, Set WorkGroup Name (don't …

flmaxey - - General

(Assuming that you're running OMV3, that you haven't customized Samba, and that permissions are correct.) Are the Church PC's, all Windows 10? Try this out. -> How To While the "How To" is geared toward Windows 10, it will work with Windows 8 and 7, as well. (With Windows 7 and 8, setting the registry keys in the first step is not needed - the key addtions are specific to Windows 10 implementation of SMB. However, the rest of the process would apply to 7 and 8.) Let us know how it went.

• Is OMV 4.x stable?

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “/--/ they use the same urbackup package. ” That's good to know. Thanks.

• Is OMV 4.x stable?

flmaxey - - General

How about merging previous client backups done on OMV 3, into UrBackup on OMV 4. Has anyone done that successfully?

• ZFS Pool Size

flmaxey - - RAID

Relatively speaking, it seems 3 to 4%, unstriped, is a "slender" amount of overhead. (Of course, in a mirror, I have a rather stiff 50% loss, right at the start, so it's more like 54%.) In any case, I'm using ZFS for bitrot protection, not for aggregating drives.

• UPS plugin not working

flmaxey - - Plugins

Quote from openletter: “ Most motherboards still have a COM header ” Hum, I hadn't noticed that. I'll have to look at my Mobo's spec's.

• Did the loss of access follow a reboot? Have you tried removing the netbios aliases?

• UPS plugin not working

flmaxey - - Plugins

Quote from openletter: “The first time I loaded the configuration I copy pasted my old one, which was ttyS0, then later figured out it was ttyS2. I wonder if nut changed the group of ttyS0 on the first configuration load, but not later configurations? ” Perhaps there was a script to sense the UPS on the first install, that set ttyS0. Thereafter, since it's "installed", reconfiguration might have been ignored. That would be a Dev oversight, but it seems reasonable. When you say, "figured out it w…

• Docker turnkey images

flmaxey - - General

Quote from subzero79: “@flmaxey you should make your guide into a docker compose file. I think compose supports variable expansion in the YAML file. ” A Docker "compose" file... I may have an idea of what that is, by inference, but I haven't done much beyond the Docker tutorial for beginners. While Docker concepts seem logical enough, I'm not a Dev. But, if you think it would help, I'll try to look farther into it. It seems Dockers are the way things are going and, if I'm getting what a compose …

• UPS plugin not working

flmaxey - - Plugins

1. Apr 08 10:22:22 HomeServer upsdrvctl[6594]: Unable to open /dev/ttyS2: Permission denied 2. Apr 08 10:22:22 HomeServer upsdrvctl[6594]: Current user id: nut (113) 3. Apr 08 10:22:22 HomeServer upsdrvctl[6594]: Serial port owner: root (0) 4. Apr 08 10:22:22 HomeServer upsdrvctl[6594]: Serial port group: dialout (20) 5. Apr 08 10:22:22 HomeServer upsdrvctl[6594]: Mode of port: 0660 The above seems to lay it out. 0660, in this case, is root:dialout . Both (owner:group) are read/write. If the cur…

• UPS plugin not working

flmaxey - - Plugins

I missed the config in the first window. It appears you actually have a serial port. Given that you had a proven config, you may have something else going on. I find these lines interesting: 1. Apr 08 09:59:45 HomeServer upsdrvctl[4218]: - Use another port (with the right permissions) 2. Apr 08 09:59:45 HomeServer upsdrvctl[4218]: - Fix the port owner/group or permissions on this port 3. Apr 08 09:59:45 HomeServer upsdrvctl[4218]: - Run this driver as another user (upsdrvctl -u or 'us On the per…

• Docker turnkey images

flmaxey - - General

Dockers, at this point in time, are a "Frontier",, the Wild, Wild, West. There are 100,000+ Dockers out there, so simply picking one and trying to configure it may not be the best approach. If there's nothing in the guide section for what you want to do (which appears to be a LAMP server?) you'll have come up with something on your own. Other than Dockers from linuxserver.io, that are nicely documented and supported, trying to configure Dockers from scratch can be problematic. For example, if yo…

• UPS plugin not working

flmaxey - - Plugins

Can you supply your config as it's entered in the GUI? I remember having a heck of a time with it and did what you seem to be doing - trying to come up with a serial configuration because NUT's (age old) doc's seemed to focus on it. I meant to write up a how-to, because the process to get it work was less than "intuitive". _________________________________________________ I found that a dirt simple config and the right driver got me off the ground. I used this page to find the right driver. Here…