Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from KiwiSteve: “Has anyone else seen wired network errors with the 3B+ during file copy? ” Sure. It's lousy hardware and networking has obviously not been tested by the vendor prior to product launch. Somewhere here you find the ugly details: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images (most probably disabling EEE for now will solve this problem). The best you can do with a RPi 3+ to let OMV work flawlessly is to replace the lousy hardware with something better: Which energy efficient ARM pl…

• Debian 9 on QNAP TS-210 + OMV

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from rramalho32: “I'll try to install OMV on top of it ” On slow ARM devices the best idea is to install OMV this way: Source Code (3 lines)See here for details: - OMV 4 image for Raspberrypi - forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-p…findComment&comment=44097

• Quote from k8Ga: “So IMO there it isnt a: - power issue (external powered) - connector issue (powering on and off doesnt affect the connector) - "HDD vendor issue that not implemented UAS correctly" which cannot be fixed, with XU4 no problems ” 'IMO'? Seriously? You do not follow a simple advice to look at the potential problematic USB3-A connector since you prefer to rely on your own 'opinion'? Well, it's time to not only stop supporting the lousy RPi but SBC in general. Way too frustrating sin…

• Quote from vinntec: “It looks like OMV does not like UUID for booting ” This is not related to OMV at all but only a matter of kernel configuration and settings. Using LABEL or any of the UUIDs requires adjusting /etc/fstab as well. And since it's 2018 I would use PARTUUID instead: raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1161764#p1161764 BTW: Pretty strange setup using something that unreliable as an RPi and then even waste an SSD to put the OS on it. These things have only one single USB2 bus so…

• Quote from k8Ga: “USB3.0 support is terrible ” USB3 'problems' are often hardware related at least when the USB3-A receptacle has to be used. The contacts for the Hi-Speed data lines (people call 'USB 2.0') are huge and it's almost impossible to get contact problems. While the contacts for the SuperSpeed data lines (designed for a link rate of 5 Gbps!) are - laughable tiny, - require the user to push the cable with full force into the receptacle to get any contact area at all and - are located a…

• Advice on Nas Hardware

tkaiser - - General

Quote from vivalablub: “im from germany so if i order some stuff from the us or from china i have 2 pay extra ” Not necessarily. Often the customs docs show a really low value. But since Pollin in DE has pretty good prices (and warranty handling) you might evaluate ODROID HC1 or HC2 too. No difference in performance, just a slightly higher idle consumption.

• My Raspberrypi NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from richprim: “VL711 chip set ” Never tested myself and with Rasperry Pi pretty irrelevant anyway (since RPi is only capable of USB2 and has no UAS support). But this is the list I compiled wrt 'good' USB-to-SATA adapters: linux-sunxi.org/USB/UAS#UASP_c…ipsets_in_disk_enclosures With an RPi just try to avoid the crappy GL830 chipset and you're done (the Raspberry is the bottleneck anyway). But if you plan to use a better ARM board in the future you should already take care about good USB3…

• My Raspberrypi NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from richprim: “just sometimes hard to find that info for a product ” Sure, but sometimes when the chipset is not mentioned as part of the product description it gets replaced without notice. You see a couple of reviews mentioning chipset A, then you order and get B (happened to me multiple times and that's why I changed my strategy). At least on Aliexpress, eBay or Amazon it simply works to shop by chipset, e.g.: amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?…aps&field-keywords=jms578

• My Raspberrypi NAS

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from richprim: “Bus 002 Device 003: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge ” Most probably it's an ASM1153. Unfortunately ASMedia re-used the 55aa USB product ID for three totally incompatible chipsets (which is one of the reasons I try to avoid them in the meantime and look for JMS578 instead). I always search for chipsets and not brands since that's the most important thing

• Advice on Nas Hardware

tkaiser - - General

Quote from k8Ga: “Dont get a ROCK64. USB3.0 external HD support isnt great. ” Nope. See my reply in the linked thread: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

• Quote from k8Ga: “Dont get a ROCK64 for running as a NAS. USB3.0 support is terrible. ” Nope! Please stop giving such bad advise. There were some XHCI/USB3 issues last year but AFAIK they're all resolved. I didn't look through your whole thread on pine64 forum and the github issue since it's copy&paste from here to there (which is an insane waste of developer's time!) but if you have random issues with 2 different USB3 disk enclosures I would check/clean the SuperSpeed contacts in Rock64's USB3 …

• Quote from macom: “add 8.8.8.8 (or any other DNS server) ” Due to privacy concerns I would better use 1.1 instead

• Quote from K4l-3l: “I just connected a 1TB HFS+ FS hdd up and it works perfectly fine... ” Third and last time: No. This does not work 'perfectly fine' but will result in encoding and metadata related problems. Stopping here since it's your data corruption and not mine.

• Quote from K4l-3l: “I have no need to use the 2TB (EXT4) locally other than to have a faster transfer of files onto it to initially set it up, when it is shared over the network. ” Again: bad idea unless you fully understand which file/folder metadata are stored in which way by OMV (Samba and/or Netatalk) and macOS on 'foreign filesystems' and how encoding conventions look like. Unless you use only plain ASCII for file and foldernames and none of your files has metadata attached (impossible) thi…

• SSD Cache support

tkaiser - - Plugins

Quote from ness1602: “He wanted ssd cache,so i gave him an option. ” Well, I'm focusing on the (most probably completely wrong) assumption 'SSD cache ... would allow me to access the files at a faster rate than standard spinning disks'. If this is a typical OMV scenario with network connected clients then how should a SSD cache at the server help? His RAID6 should already provide decent speed so the interesting question is why he's thinking about improvements (most probably Gigabit Ethernet and …

• FTP ZUGANG PROBLEME ÜBER INTERNET

tkaiser - - FTP

Quote from tkaiser: “SMB1, was nur noch Geisteskranke im Netzwerk erlauben würden ” Faszinierend! Während die ganze Welt versucht, das unsichere SMB1 loszuwerden, machen es auf Unsicherheit spezialisierte 'Distros' anno 2018 zum Default: github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1693#issuecomment-379586866 -- DietPi überrascht einen immer wieder

tkaiser - - FTP

Quote from cabrio_leo: “Ich muss einräumen, dass ich mich damit noch nicht tiefer beschäftigt habe, bzw. beschäftigen musste ” Naja, wozu auch? FTP ist aus heutiger Sicht einfach krank und niemand sollte das mehr verwenden (gilt seit Jahrzehnten). Der einzige Grund, warum man den Mist noch "braucht" ist, wenn bspw. irgendein Multifunktions-Scan-Dings nur FTP in fehlerfrei beherrscht (hatte ich erst neulich beim Kunden: das Scan-Dings konnte nur SMB1, was nur noch Geisteskranke im Netzwerk erlaub…

tkaiser - - FTP

Quote from cabrio_leo: “sftp ” Das ist ganz simpel SSH und das ganze Dateisystemgedöns passiert überwiegend auf Client-Seite. FTP in sicher wäre FTPS. Da nicht mehr 1980 ist (als es nur ASCII gab und Metadaten in Dateisystemen noch relativ unwichtig waren) würde ich für egal welchen 'remote Zugriff' immer das Protokoll nehmen, das auch lokal verwendet wird. Also üblicherweise Samba bei der Mehrzahl der OMV-User. Zugriff aus dem Internet dann einfach per VPN. Mit Protokollmischmasch bekommt man i…

• Quote from K4l-3l: “My concern then would be that (I use MacOS) I couldn't read/write ext4 on mac without paying for additional software? ” Please do not try to do this. It simply doesn't work with other OS than MacOS to access a filesystem both locally and shared over the network. Apple's own filesharing daemons (both AppleFileServer and their SMB implementation) can cope with this but no other system. See here for some issues: Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel on 3.0…

• Quote from K4l-3l: “~1.5TB is a lot of data to lose ” That's why you should do backup. Once you have a backup in place it's easy to format your data disk with ext4 or any other POSIX compliant filesystem (do NOT use NTFS with OMV!)