Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 52.

• I recently ran across some 2TB Constellation ES (6GB SAS) tucked away in a company supply room, and was told I could buy them for $25 each. These are new spares (still sealed in the bags), but all look to be about 3-4 years old from the production dates. I was thinking it could be an economical way to upgrade my home OMV setup, which currently has a mix of aging 1TB consumer grade SATA disks. I thought I'd use the Seagates for a Snapraid setup, with a SAS controller (LSI 9211, IBM 1015 or simila…

• Quote from tkaiser: “I would stop creating theories and look at the basics first. Facts: Internal SATA connectors are rated for 50 matings maximum, cheap stuff stops to work way earlier. A cheap cable can scratch the gold plates on the connectors so that's the first thing I would check. ” Well, I did say it could be something else! I'd read another post from you some time back about internal SATA, and since then I keep a supply of new cables on hand. So, all the cables were new, and first use on…

• I'm trying to add two drives to my current setup. I've had some issues with this, and was wondering if its due to having more than one drive per channel on the add-on SATA Controller? Both controllers I tried seem be supported by the kernel, and I didn't do any manual configuration... I first tried a Mini PCI-e Controller (Syba SD-MPE40056 w/Asmedia 1061) that I had left over from an appliance build. I understand this is a single channel/single lane controller, although I admit I'm a bit murky o…

• Quote from subzero79: “You need an app password for gmail ” Brilliant! That did it. thank you very much!

• When OMV tries to send a notification, I'm getting a "Blocked sign in attempt" email in my gmail account stating that the blocked sign-in was from a "Less secure application". Short of reducing the sign-in security level on the gmail account side, is there something I should be doing differently? Selecting port 465 didn't seem to do anything. SMTP server address is for U.S. Gmail. OMV version is 3.0.99. Thanks for any advice! forum.openmediavault.org/index…b11fddb06534e0a7317a8c058

• Is laptop a good option?

Markess - - My NAS Build

Quote from utamav: “Quote from Markess: “I buy parts from a couple university property centers via their Ebay store fronts ” Care to share some links? I tried some local universities but none of them anything to offer at this time. ” Here are some vendors I've used. Since I'm in California, all are from the U.S. Ebay site. I'm not necessarily advocating them. These are just vendors I've bought from. Because I tend to assemble systems, there's more selection for components than systems for sale. …

• Quote from hekmatk: “Is there a way to know how power hungry a cpu will be? Is looking at TDP a good indicator? ” TDP is technically an indicator of thermal energy loading rather than electrical, but its still good for relative comparisons. For example, a processor rated at 65 Watts won't necessarily draw 65 Watts of energy, even at full load, but it will draw more energy under load than one rated at 20 Watts for example. At idle however, which is where a lot of home NAS sit for significant amou…

• Quote from hekmatk: “That being said, I was looking on newegg for 4GB modules (planing to use 2 x 4GB) and NONE had ECC capacity. ” In case your final decision calls for it, Newegg DOES sell 4GB ECC, its just not in the same place as the rest of the memory. Assuming you are on the US site, Select Networking > Server Components > Server Memory. There's both UDIMMS and RDIMMS in 4GB, both DDR3 and DDR4. I have no idea why they "hide" it in "Networking" As @flmaxey notes above, AMD AM3+ is still an…

• Is laptop a good option?

Markess - - My NAS Build

Quote from utamav: “Thanks all. I have been running it on my laptop for about a week without issues. I am just using SMB share and rsync. Though I would like to move to a better hardware soon, I'm keeping an eye on colleges replacing old PCs. ” Colleges are a great place to find hardware. I buy parts from a couple university property centers via their Ebay store fronts. If you are on a budget, consider some of the volume hardware liquidators, many of whom have Ebay store fronts as well. I buy/bu…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Tiny format --> shitty heat dissipation (I own the same thing but tested it too late). Since it's strongly recommended to test each and every flash drive with either F3 or H2testwprior to usage this is also easy to spot while initial testing (and then returning the drive due to crappy performance after a short period of full usage) ” +1 for what @tkaiser recommends. I have an older 32GB Sandisk Fit drive that works flawlessly. Doesn't get too hot, and while it slows down a b…

• Slow internet when NAS turns on

Markess - - Network

Quote from cabrio_leo: “It could be a network problem. Please check if some IP adresses are used twice. Maybe DHCP adress range conflicts with a static IP adress which is used somewhere. ” What @cabrio_leo recommends is probably the first thing to check. It can be very common on networks with devices that sleep/hibernate rather than being turned off. A second thing to look at is the type of network hardware. If his network has only switches and/or routers, then each individual device should shou…

• It appears from reviews that the Mediasonic box doesn't support hot swapping/plugging. There's several mentions of that, and one very complete review on Amazon where the reviewer tested this pretty extensively (under Ubuntu, so the behavior should probably be similar to what you'd get with OMV), and it consistently caused the existing drives to unmount and the firmware to reboot whenever a new drive was plugged in. So, not sure that's a good idea while the system is running? Quote from SilverBla…

• Mainboardsuggestion S-ATA + USB 3

Markess - - Motherboards

Quote from ExRaspberry: “Have seen some Atom ION providing gigabit-ethernet - maye that's a better choice than Atom D2550... ” For consumer hardware, the Nvidia ION Atom chipset supports 4 Sata ports, while most Intel Atom chipsets support 2 Sata ports. So ION will give more flexibility with your storage scheme. Intel Atom server chipsets have more ports of course, but cost a lot more. ION draws a bit more power though, due to the more capable graphics. Even though you can usually disable graphi…

• Quote from tkaiser: “If you want such a battery powered teaching tool I would grab an Olimex Lime2 + one of Olimex' LiPo batteries. ” Thanks. The CM Dock has a LAN9513 chip. Yes, lots of other hardware would be better. Sadly, the Education community where I am has embraced the RPi. So I thought I'd try to work with what I was given to use first, and buy extra hardware out of pocket only if necessary. Looks like it may be necessary, serial console on the Pi needs to be configured, and to do that …

• Quote from subzero79: “The iso’s are installers meant to be used for x86 pc. You should pick the special rpi images especially built for the boards. Unless by iso you mean the rpi images. Maybe @tkaiser can help in this ” OOPs! Thanks for the correction, I did mean an RPi image, rather than an ISO. OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img specifically.

• Has anyone successfully installed OMV on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 (CM3)? I wanted to set up a small, battery operated, OMV instance to use as a teaching tool and had an extra CM3 handy. Since its for instruction only, the RPi's shortcomings as a NAS shouldn't be an issue. But, my CM dock is designed to be headless (no video output), so I can't see what's happening during the install. I'm able to successfully flash the ISO onto the soldered on eMMC. But, but when I restart in "run" mode,…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Wrt amount of DRAM I already tried to explain. If your NAS does not do also other 'foreign jobs' (like being used as Docker container host) 512GB or even 256GB are just fine for home usage and the only situation where more DRAM results in higher performance is when the following criteria are met storage slower than network (eg. USB2 disk and Gigabit Ethernet) amount of data a client writes to the NAS less than amount of physical memory Only in this situation more DRAM allows…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Extra amounts of RAM are more or less only useful in one situation: storage slower than network and writes from clients to server happening. Only then you see somewhat better performance since the more DRAM the more data can be buffered in memory before being flushed to disk later. ” So how much RAM is enough though? In my case, my NAS won't be transcoding. That's getting done by devices at the other end of a Gigbit wired connection. I'm less worried about the performance of…

• Quote from tkaiser: “BTW: I don't know whether the 'Pi Drive' supports UAS (USB Attached SCSI) but in case it does not (needs both host and drive support and of course Raspberry Pi is NOT UAS capable since RPi folks are plagued by ignorance) any native SATA disk combined with one of the UAS capable USB-to-SATA bridges (see link above) will do a better since slightly more performant job. Also CPU utilization will be lower when switching from the anachronistic bulk / mass storage protocol to UAS. …

• Quote from tkaiser: “cnx-software.com/2017/12/14/mo…ransformer-xl-odroid-hc2/ cnx-software.com/2017/12/05/li…gb-ddr4-ram-crowdfunding/ Especially reading the comments can be enlightening (for example why Micro USB for DC-IN is such a crappy idea) ” Haha, just when I think I have a solution picked out, you post something like this! Or, I.m just discovering something like this, either here or on the Armbian site, or elsewhere, now that i know where else to look. Along with power concerns you menti…