Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OMV on IDE Flash Module (DOM)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “I even think people should use it on ssds ” Fully agree. The flashmemory plugin greatly reduces write amplification which is something you want on any flash based storage medium. BTW: In Armbian we're discussing currently to switch from (uncompressed) tmpfs to compressed zram to store logs: forum.armbian.com/topic/6444-v…findComment&comment=54837 (in the same thread a few posts above also some elaborations on 'write amplification' and why that matters). As soon as we come…

• Omv filesystem ?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mrperfektone: “Is this card okay for openmediavault? ” OMV with flashmemory plugin active will run nicely on almost any card since writes to SD card are minimized. But since it's 2018 and we can buy SD cards compliant to A1 performance class in the meantime only those great A1 rated cards should be bought any more: forum.armbian.com/topic/954-sd…ab=comments#comment-49811 Sequential storage performance with SBC is irrelevant ('speed class' and this MB/s thing). It's all and only about …

• Omv filesystem ?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mrperfektone: “what file format should I format during the process when I can choose more than one in nand-sata-install ” I would try btrfs first since that's what we use on all OS images for all ARM boards except Raspberries (there we need to stick to ext4 since I fear RPi folks breaking things with the packages we use from them --> bootloader/kernel stuff that expects 'Raspbian SD card layout'). I don't remember exactly but we had a problem with nand-sata-install and btrfs but AFAIK…

• Quote from hanscie: “trying to find the cause for the "freeze"/ crash and see if this can be solved ” It's always the same: Power supply or SD card issues. What you describe sounds like power supply issue (under-voltage). There's not much you can do to diagnose (you need an oscilloscope) other than trying out a good PSU especially if you power now the C1+ with the same PSU you used already on your RPi (they contain some sort of under-voltage masquerading/protection since powering through Micro U…

• OMV not booting on pi

tkaiser - - General

Quote from HightronicDesign: “Pi 2 B+ ” Nope. Count the Raspberries on your screenshot. Single CPU core so neither RPi 2 or 3. The count of Raspberries identifies your RPi (for whatever stupid reasons those RPi folks replaced the tux symbol with their own logo)

• Currently no OMV4 images for ARM boards are available for download. While this might change in the future below is outlined how to get an optimized OMV 4 version on any of the supported ARM boards. Variant 1) -- Upgrading Choose any of the available OMV 3 images, activate shellinabox plugin or SSH access and then use the CLI to do an 'omv-release-upgrade'. This will update OMV 3 to 4 and the underlying Debian Jessie to Stretch. After this you can enjoy OMV 4 with all performance and other optimi…

• Quote from whi401: “Can you please check that the image file should work? ” Why should we provide images that do not work? Each and every of the images has been tested by me and works flawlessly. OMV is a headless system so I neither know nor care whether you get output on a HDMI display. The board needs to be connected to the network with Internet access and a DHCP server. It will update some packages and then reboot. Then access it using a web browser.

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “OMV 3.x is eol but the underlying OS is still supported by Debian/armbian. you dont have to upgrade asap. ” Then there's sudo omv-release-upgrade which worked for me flawlessly within the last 6 months already. I just wonder whether we should add a minor tweak to omv-release-upgrade: Source Code (1 line)

• Raid 10 with 8 x 250GB SSD

tkaiser - - RAID

Well, your setup adds a ton of complecity and one expected result of virtualization is performance degradation. Also when testing the way you do bottlenecks at both source and destination can be responsible for slowdowns. Benchmarking usually requires a more active approach, e.h. when running an iperf replacing iperf with iperf3 as first measure (since iperf3 shows 2 second interval statistics too and also reports count of retransmits). Then it's important to run htop in parallel to get the idea…

• Activate SPI on RPi 3

tkaiser - - General

Quote from tekkb: “OMV 3.x Armbian? ” Unlikely based on the Kernel version. Seems like the old Raspbian based image if the kernel doesn't get upgraded (due to RPi folks simply not wanting Jessie users to get a more recent kernel version than 4.9.41 for reasons unknown to me. On the Armbian based image we solved this with apt pinning so are able to pull in more recent kernel versions while remaining on Jessie since being an OMV 3 requirement)

• Activate SPI on RPi 3

tkaiser - - General

Quote from TheLostSwede: “You're going to need some SPI drivers. They're part of Raspbian, hence why it works there. ” They're not part of Raspbian but part of the RPi kernel image from archive.raspberrypi.org (not raspbian.org). The current OMV image uses the same kernel and ThreadX (also called 'firmware') packages so all usual tutorials how to do this manually (not using raspi-config or whatever other part of Raspbian) should work here too. Adding DT overlays the usual way or modules to /etc/…

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from vshaulsk: “I understand what you are saying about SSD, but in my budget and use case I think I will be OK ” Again: Building a RAID-1 or RAID-10 out of identical SSDs is almost fooling yourself if they run with same firmware and are of same age (and/or same amount of data written). Since SSDs are something entirely different than HDDs. Simply think about what the redundant RAID modes try to do, for which reasons HDDs die and for which reasons SSDs die. It makes absolutely no sense to b…

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from vshaulsk: “is this correct for an SSD setup ” - SSDs die for different reasons than HDDs (they don't stop to work for no reason like HDDs due to mechanical failures but fail after n hours of operation or n TBW -- TB written) - All larger SSD use something similar to RAID-0 internally to increase performance. RAID-0 is the 'natural' SSD operation mode. - RAID implementations that do not support TRIM will reduce the lifespan of your SSD (since garbage collection and wear leveling aren't…

• Quote from ljones: “Just to clarify (unless I'm going mad) there has to be a DHCP server somewhere and the OMV software gets an IP from that? ” Yes. So why not stopping your experiments with direct cable connections to another PC and simply attaching your device to any normal network where it gets an IP address from the DHCP server running on the Internet access router? These OMV images are meant to be set up in an easy way. You don't need to fiddle around with anything, simply connect it to any…

• All the ARM OMV images are meant to be set up the following way: connect the board to a network with working DCHP and Internet access (normal installations). OMV will boot up, does some updates, reboots, done. It will simply work. If you prefer to perform an 'expert installation' with no normal network but something special then you need to be an expert and also need serial console access and know how link-local networking is supposed to work (using the 169.254.0.0/16 network address range if th…

• Quote from ljones: “There is also a red LED and a blue LED which flashes twice, then nothing then flashes twice over and over (that's the 'heartbeat'?). ” Yes, kernel loaded and everything fine. Next step: Connect to the machine. If your DHCP server supports dynamic DNS updates then accessing odroidxu4 or doing 'ping odroidxu4' in a terminal should work. /var/log/bootstrap.log is irrelevant BTW.

• Wi-Fi works even with the new and lousy RPi 3 B+ It's outlined in the thread linked from the download location how to set up Wi-Fi: forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991 This depends on the OMV installation being finished on first boot. In case your installation reports running on a kernel 4.9 this hasn't worked (no network or interrupted), if you're at 4.14 then it should work to follow above thread. Otherwise start over again from scratch and allow the installation to finish itself a…

• Quote from jata1: “Any ideas what could be causing this or how to troubleshoot? ” No. But in case you share the same folders with SMB and AFP at the same time and then even access them from clients you're running into troubles anyway (metadata representation, file and folder name encoding issues).

• Quote from Markess: “The issue wasn't with the SATA controller(s), it was insufficient power to the drives. ... I started getting errors and dropouts ” Thank you for the report. Such posts are important for other users to learn that issues that look like software are an awful lot of times just related to hardware problems like underpowering.

• Quote from ljones: “I'm getting the exact same issues as a lot of other people ” Such 'observations' are the best way to fool yourself. Stop thinking about that you have a serious issue since 'a lot of other people' report similar issues. Better focus on what's going on in your installation and don't mix observation with interpretation. - XU4, HC1, HC2 and MC1 are fully software compatible. It's the same hardware from a software point of view, the SATA controller is just a device permanently att…