Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 489.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Remove array physically

SerErris - - RAID

There is a difference between "works" and "entries cleaned out from OMV". So even if you removed the disks, OMV may still remember the configuration. So that was the reason why votdev mentioned the other parts where information may be alive - like shared disks, filesystems and other stuff. If that is also cleaned up - you have then "only" to remove the disks finally.

• Raid not mounting

SerErris - - RAID

going back to 3.x would be for me the following: 1. Note down the imporant parts of exported filesystems (Samba config, Storage part, Raid part) - best make screenshots or photos with your mobile. 2. Shutdown OMV 3. Pull all Raid Disks - ensure that they are not accessible by the system for the next steps. 4. Reinstall 3.x and upgrade to latest release. 5. Reconfigure everything (with the exception of Samba). 6. Stop OMV again 7. Put in all raid disks - ensure that you really have all in place) …

• Quote from Phil: “Thank you for your reply I guess my intention was to have 7TB of disk space that was mirrored across the four drives so that I could have some real-time mirroring. I'm not too hot on RAID setups so mirror seemed simple yet reliable enough for me. Does the way you suggest mean that I would have to rely on a delayed scheduled job to run before the data is synced? Thank you ” Hi Do you have LVM2 on top of the raid in use? If so the easiest way is to create a second (new) raid 1 on…

• Quote from Drake008: “Dann bin ich woihl aufgeschmissen. Scheinen ja dann zwei Platten kaputt zu sein ” Hi, nein - wenn zwei Platten kaputt wären, dann könntest Du das Filesystem überhaupt nicht mehr mounten. Ich weiß nicht, seit wann das so ist - aber früher war das mal so, daß einem OMV immer ein degraded Array hingestellt hat. Das war ein bissl unglücklich war aber glaub ich noch in OMV 1 ... Die Frage wäre für mich, warum die vierte Platte aus dem Raid geflogen ist. Automatisch baut er nur e…

• I do not get your question. So the OP asked about the fastest way - and that is definately copy or rsync within the box. However it also requires some changes for the filesystems and shares afterwords (all of them). I do not even get what you want to do. Do you mean, you want to add the 4TB disk to the system and create and raid array out of it and then grow the array? That might potentially work... not sure if it supported by the GUI.

• Backup Entire OMV

SerErris - - General

Clonezilla does backup filled sectors only and can shrink the destination partition. See here backup-utility.com/articles/cl…to-smaller-disk-4348.html

• Hi guys, I now was absent this forum for a long time and need some consulting on storage myself. I for myself live still in the old world, where Raid+LVM+FS is a great thing. I still believe in the strength of it and in the pros it comes with. Of cause I also know the downsides of it. In other words, I am expert level knowhow on the old school thing. However, I am not sure if that is today still the best way for the use case of my NAS. So I am looking into some consulting from you guys, about ho…

• Using the system disk as also disk for storage (shared etc) is not supported out of the box. There is a long thread regarding this topic with a brief explanation on the start. How to partition and use OMV system disk for user data But again, this is not supported out of the box and should be done only by advanced users. The better way is to run OMV from an USB Stick (please activate the plugin for USB sticks - openmediavault-flashmemory) and to use your disk as the data disk only (no system on i…

• Nach Neustart kein Raid 5 mehr

SerErris - - RAID

Also ich kann hier nur auf den 1. Therad referenzieren. Da steht ein Teil der Antwort was auf jeden Fall mal falsch ist, und gerne auch immer wieder falsch gemacht wird. Grundsatz: Auf Platten die ausschließlich in einem Raidverbund sollen, gehören im Grundsatz keine Partitionen, ja noch nicht mal eine Partitionstabelle. Das Problem besteht mit Sicherheit darin, daß mdadm nicht dir richtigen Partitionen scanned und sicher keine mit GPT. Auffällig ist schon , daß blkid nichts anzeigt von den Plat…

• RAID question

SerErris - - RAID

It is possible in the following steps (generic, and you need a lot of knowledge on raid to do it correct). 1. Change your raid from raid5 to raid 6. You need one additional disk for it. ewams.net/?date=2013/05/02&vie…g_RAID5_to_RAID6_in_mdadm 2. upgrade all disks in your raid from 2TB to 4TB.1. fail 1 active disk in your raid. Raid is now degraded 2. Replace the failed disk with the bigger one. 3. Reintegrate the disk into raid and start rebuild. 4. After rebuild has finished start over from 1 u…

• Raid ausbauen

SerErris - - RAID

Nur um es noch mal klar zu stellen: Raid Clean - heißt: Das Raid ist okay und ist korrekt erkannt worden. Nach Neuinstallation müssen alle User neu erstellt werden (die sind nicht auf dem Raid) und dann auch noch die UIDs/GIDs der Ordnerstrukturen angepasst werden. Guck Dir mal die Berechtigungen im Filesystem in Frage an (ls -l directory). Dann stehen da die UIDs/GIDs drin. Wenn die nicht mit den Usern des ftp zusammenpassen dann must Du noch einen chown drüber jagen. z.B. chown -r ftpuser:ftpg…

• Growing RAID 6 with OMV (MDADM)

SerErris - - RAID

OMV itself does recognize the grown MD size. Hoever you need to grow your filesystem on it as well. You can do this in OMV section OMV->Storage->File Systems If you select the File System you can grow it. The Risk of the mdadm operation is the same regardless of Raid6/5. Also I do not really see the risk in there. The activity incorporates to recalculate the parity for all data area, to reflect the number of disks in this raid. The only risk might be a complete power loss. I have not tested it, …

• Probleme mit RAID

SerErris - - RAID

Sieht eigentlich gut aus. kannst du mal die mdadm.conf schicken? Kann es sein, daß nicht alle Platten gescannt werden, oder eben zufällig welche zum Scanzeitpunkt nicht vorhanden sind? Wird bei Dir das md zum Bootzeitpunkt erkannt, oder erst im späteren Init? Evtl. würde es helfen es von Boot auf Init umzustellen, da die Hardware ggfs. zum Bootzeitpunkt nicht alle drives zuverlässig schon parat hat.

• extend mirror from a not wiped HDD

SerErris - - RAID

I believe that is related to this thread: Raid1 hardware or software? So my first guess would be: He is trying to run a raid1 on from the OS disk. That is not supported - end of story. The other thread is dealing with it. Once you have installed the OS on the USB/Flash drive, you should be able to wipe both HDDs. Find out the name of the disks (e.g. sda/sdb) and then overwrite the first two MB with DATA like: WARNING: ALL DATA ON BOTH DISKS ARE LOST FOREVER! dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda size=2M d…

• My thoughts about... RAID

SerErris - - RAID

I am using RAID. There are good reasons for it as well. It is my first line of defense against hardware related (yes redundancy) data loss. I am using RAIDs now for years and I never run into an issue affecting my data. It also was the enabler for me to grow my NAS from 6 TB Netto capacity to 12 TB netto capacity by simply exchanging the disks from 2TB disks to 4TB disks one by one. That is quite easy if you understand the concept. I agree that you should not use RAID if you do not understand th…

• RAID on partitions, with boot disk

SerErris - - RAID

you have to create id manually as OMV does not allow and manage any data on your boot device (sda). Beware, this can destroy everything, if you do it wrong or make a typo in it. You can create a raid on those partitions like that: Source Code (2 lines) After rescanning you should see a RAID array within the OMV GUI.

• I like to propose to use a different tool for benchmarking - called dt. It is kind of a dd, but gives you the data directly as an analysis and output. You can find it here (very old nowadays) with a linux intel compiled version of it: scsifaq.org/RMiller_Tools/dt.html I have written a test procedure somewhere in the RAID section. Regards Ser

• I am using those settings in physical disk settings, but I am not sure if this works for USB disks as well: Advanced Power Management: 64 Accoustic Management: Deactivated Spindown Time: 30 Minutes Disc Cache: Deactivated Reasoning (and yours might lead to different settings): I am using my NAS mainly as a repository for media files. Therfore I use it from a time perspective in blocks. Write Cache is deactiveated as the drives are running in a RAID and I will not survive with individual drive ca…

• HPE Proliant Servers

SerErris - - My NAS Build

There are no Raid drivers. The Microservers do not come with a hardware RAID and therefore you simply use the Linux Softwareraid. That is good, cause you do not need to deal with any drivers. Regards Ser

• Subzero79 is right. You need to grow your volume in LVM first and then you can grow the ext3. Commandline: Source Code (1 line) After that you need to resize your ext3 with: Source Code (1 line) That should do the job.