Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 201.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Replace Internal Drives

jollyrogr - - General

My server is one that I built. The way to do it is to unmount the drives in OMV, then you can remove them. Pop in a new one and it will show up in OMV. Then you can format it and mount it. Not really true "hot-swap" but you don't need to reboot. Also you probably know this, but you have to remove all share references before OMV will allow you to unmount a drive.

• Replace Internal Drives

jollyrogr - - General

Don't forget to disable smart monitoring on the drive to be removed. I did that once and had to put the old drive back in just so I could disable the smart monitoring. I was getting email notifications for a drive that was no longer in the system. Fortunately I have hot swap so there were no reboots involved.

• [HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

jollyrogr - - Plugins

I thought that simply excluding those directories should work. We should be able to remove drives though. Not sure about your mergerfs question since don't use plex or docker. Mergerfs does play well with snapraid though.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

So you can't even get the initial sync to complete? How long did you let it go? It can take many hours to complete. I don't use docker or plex and have had no issues. Snapraid is designed to be used in situations where files change very infrequently. Perhaps docker and plex are constantly changing files and causing issues that way. If there are certain affected directories, those can be easily excluded from the snapraid array. If plex or docker is mucking with all your media, then it probably ju…

• SnapRaid HDD defect.. how to recover

jollyrogr - - RAID

Does your data3 drive still work? If so, you could copy all the files from it to the replacement drive and save yourself some rebuild time. Here's what I've done Drive failing, how best to proceed (snapraid) These days I only use the snapraid gui for configuration file changes. I do everything else from the terminal. EDIT: I just re-read your post and realize you have 2 content files of different size. Somehow you need to figure out which one is the correct one or you may not get all your data b…

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Not sure that it matters, but looking at the snapraid manual, I see that they list the command as snapraid sync -E Try running with the -E at the end instead of the way I had it before? They also list the steps to remove the disk as follows: Source Code (9 lines)Not sure how that's supposed to work with OMV since I don't think you can use the GUI to edit the configuration file to point to an empty directory. May need to try logging into the shell, and (as root) do the steps listed.

• No ZFS plugin in Raspberry Pi

jollyrogr - - General

This is like using a little hand saw to cut down a big tree. It may get the job done if it doesn't break first along the way but it will be a long process and not enjoyable. And then when the tree falls, it falls on your house.

• No ZFS plugin in Raspberry Pi

jollyrogr - - General

ZFS on RPi...sounds like a great way to lose all your data.

• Core i7-6700k custom build

jollyrogr - - My NAS Build

Like I said, personal preference. I have a Noctua air cooler on my i7-6800k desktop machine that I would put up against all but the biggest liquid coolers out there. You also won't find liquid coolers on production servers.

Just my preference. Liquid coolers aren't as reliable as air coolers. For a desktop machine, ok, but for a server components should be chosen with function and reliability in mind and air cooling is the way to go. I'd hate to have the cooler spring a leak and short out the system, potentially losing many TB's worth of valuable data.

Nice setup. I would ditch the liquid cooler though.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Quote from bmhj2: “Thanks. From my reading of the manual, -e only applies to the 'fix' command. Should I use -E (upper case), or am I misunderstanding the manual? Sorry - just want to be clear before setting this running. Thanks. ” You're right, my mistake. Should be snapraid -E sync

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Quote from bmhj2: “OK, thank you @jollyrogr. So the correct procedure would be: [*]Delete the SSD from the drive list within the plugin [*]Then go to a terminal window and execute the command: [/list]Source Code (1 line)Do I have that right? Or would it be the same command with the modifiers -FV? Thanks! ” Should be snapraid -e sync -f would force a full rebuild of parity which you would need to do if you added a parity drive.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

You must remove the drive via the plugin gui. Like many things in OMV, the plugin edits the .conf so manually editing the .conf doesn't work. So, remove the drive using the plugin, then through a terminal force a sync.

• frequent OMV local DNS requests

jollyrogr - - Network

Quote: “Well, if I wasn't minding my own business (I was just kidding about that, BTW:. Having two loads on an UPS is fine. But I don't see the reason behind connecting two PC's to it. The USB connection is for, primarily, monitoring the charge state of the battery and shutting down when the charge drops. It would seem that it would be best to have the server, up 24x7, handle that task. A workstation is usually up only when being used so, if there's a power outage, the user should simply shut it…

jollyrogr - - Network

Quote: “ Good, because what you were describing didn't make sense. (Outside of a Linux virus which is exceedingly rare.) I would ask why you set up NUT on two different machines, in this manner, but I'll mind my own business.... ” Two machines powered from the same UPS. The one connected to the UPS is running NUT server, the other is running NUT monitor. Is there another way to do this? Quote: “A Docker works the same as a VM, in many respects. After all, Dockers are a form of VM that shares the…

jollyrogr - - Network

flmaxey, I'm pretty sure I figured out what happened. My Arch machine is directly connected to the UPS and as such runs NUT-server. OMV is running NUT-monitor although not using the OMV NUT plugin because the plugin doesn't have that capability. Anyway, for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, when I reboot the Arch box, NUT-server fails to start automatically. I have to manually start it. My kids were messing around with the machine and somehow managed to get it rebooted last week and I …

jollyrogr - - Network

Quote from flmaxey: “Obviously you couldn't stop the disk related plugin's. OMVextra's and reset perm's should be fine. You might consider turning off Virtualbox. Is there a VM guest, in VB, that connects to the Arch box in some way? (A media server, shares, etc.) ________________________ Things to look at might be: In VB, are you using a "bridged adapter" for VM's? (I don't know if this would have any effect.) Is your Arch box statically addressed or is it DHCP? AND, are you using Pi-Holes DHCP…

jollyrogr - - Network

plugins installed: snapraid union filesystem omv extras reset perms virtualbox