Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OMV Raspberry Pi B+ Wireless Keyboard

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ShaneM: “is it better to start with a fresh Debian build (RaspBian) and then install OMV as a package (if thats available)? ” If you want OMV on Raspbian I would strongly recommend to use the optimized install variant: OMV 4 image for Raspberrypi Source Code (3 lines)For the benefits look at 2) and 3) here: forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-p…findComment&comment=44097

• Call for testers: OMV4 for ARM boards

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ShaneM: “Is there any way to inject the drivers so that it'll work out the box? ” Neiher know nor care. It should work since we use exactly the same kernel (= drivers) as Raspbian guys do (from archive.raspberrypi.org) but why connecting display/keyboard anyway? OMV is a headless system, it needs only a network connection and everything else you do in the browser or a SSH console. There's really no need to attach a keyboard and a display (and if I ever touch the image again I'll ensur…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Currently no RPi around and I don't think I'll buy such crappy hardware ever again... ” To my surprise I did not already delete the images on the build VM. Repeated the procedure and to me it looks like only permissions of the root directory were wrong and a simple chmod should be all that's needed: Source Code (27 lines)So with new procedure (only change is the chmod call) here's the result: OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz @frankja2 can you test please? Maybe this time …

• Quote from subzero79: “@tkaiser something to fix on the omv4 images ” Why? Seems only the RPi image is affected (which is created differently -- seems the 'some annoying manual steps included' I mentioned when I called for testers messed things up?). Currently no RPi around and I don't think I'll buy such crappy hardware ever again...

• Quote from jata1: “On a RPI you add the dts overlay commands to config.txt in /boot ” Why do people refuse to understand that Rasperry Pi is no normal ARM SBC but proprietary crap? This config.txt thing is nothing related to Linux. It's read by the proprietary closed source primary OS (a RTOS called ThreadX) running on the primary CPU (VideoCore IV). There's ThreadX code that reads this stuff and then either directly manipulates the hardware (clockspeeds, turbo mode and so on) or in this case ma…

• Quote from omv_addict: “I'm using LACP 802.3ad bond configuration ” And you expect LACP being handled properly by what exactly at this early stage?

• Files by samba very slow

tkaiser - - Network

Quote from raulfg3: “Please read FAQ: nº 5 is what you need to see ” Even if SMB transfers totally stall? I would look into dmesg output and at the network cable/switch first in such a situation.

• Quote from TheLostSwede: “Any specs you have in mind? ” It should be a device not suffering from 'the transfer is very slow even to 0, yesterday it worked very well' problem. I would do some basic troubleshooting first instead of blaming the motherboard...

• Setup for swapping hdd's in Odroid HC2

tkaiser - - General

Quote from strawb: “I'd like to have it so that the HC2 thinks that the 2 hdd's are the same thing. This would mean that I could never mount them concurrently, which I don't see as a problem. ” Quick check on an OMV4 host: config.xml reads as this Source Code (10 lines)And this is the result: Source Code (7 lines)My understanding is that the uuid is needed to define a unique entity but as long as you ensure both disks/partitions have exactly the same label the above config should be fine regardl…

• Quote from macom: “Is this an actual problem in this case? ” Not really. But the device naming scheme in Linux was/is really braindead since the beginning. Insert an USB thumb drive and /dev/sda is sdb, same with the stupid network naming scheme (ethX). Labels are a great improvement, UUIDs even more but I had to learn last year that UUIDs do not work with OMV semantics.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Stolirocks: “Sorry if I offended anyone ” Nobody feels offended. It's still just what I already wrote: Quote from tkaiser: “If you want to get things resolved you need to provide information. That's the 'Show details' button and then copy and paste in a code block here in the forum. Screenshots are pretty much useless if they contain only fractions of messages. ” So what about doing this now?!

• Quote from john3voltas: “I know people that have lost all their ZFS pool data due to the fact that they had only 4GB or RAM ” References please. I only know the usual FUD spread by the same FreeNAS forum moderator who is also responsible for spreading the 'ZFS without ECC will destroy not only your data but the whole world' FUD. If you have just 4 GB of DRAM and you run in a home environment there's no reason to waste 3 GB of your DRAM for a type of cache you can't make use of. Adjust this and y…

• Quote from cabrio_leo: “Could you give a general recommendation how much RAM should be dedicated for the ARC in home environments? ” As low as you want of course. What is ARC? zfsbuild.com/2010/04/15/explanation-of-arc-and-l2arc/ This is for servers and 'hot data' and is to ensure most used data remains in fast RAM. Home environments that do not also use their ZFS pools to run virtual machines off are best described as 'cold data'. Something is written to the NAS, then nothing happens for days, …

• Quote from john3voltas: “Without ECC RAM, using ZFS is basically playing Russian roulette with your data ” 100% wrong. Especially when you don't want to use ECC RAM or can't afford of course you should use a checksummed filesystem like ZFS. jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-…n-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/ Same misunderstanding is about DRAM and ZFS. ZFS needed huge amounts of DRAM. Back in 2009 when we deployed it on Solaris machines. Things have changed. Today you only need huge amounts of RAM if you wa…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Stolirocks: “so I just ignore this? ” At least I have to ignore screenshots since zero information. If you want to get things resolved you need to provide information. That's the 'Show details' button and then copy and paste in a code block here in the forum. Screenshots are pretty much useless if they contain only fractions of messages. Quote from jata1: “forgot to mention that my rock64 is using the ayufan's latest OMV4 armhf image and it uses eth0 for the network. why/how is this g…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Stolirocks: “any ideas how to fix these duplicate repo entries? It happens when I install omv from armbian-config ” Source Code (2 lines)Please remember that it's a harmless warning and even if you have 100 times the same entry in different source lists it will be used only once and correctly. It's a cosmetical issue and my understanding is that it's generated by openmediavault-extras installation adding the kernel-backports repo (which is of no use on the ARM boards anyway) another t…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “In general there's a duplicate entry resulting in 'apt update' warning: ” Currently testing with RockPro64 using ayufan's latest OMV4 armhf image and running in a similar issue with duplicate entries: Source Code (1 line)So I would assume this is part of the generic OMV installation routine since both his and mine images are 100% scripted/automated. It's the 'deb packages.openmediavault.org/public/ arrakis main' line that is a duplicate. No idea which file to delete in this …

• Unstable transfert SMB

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from loganxwolverine: “to be honest, I don't really know with which single board computer do I have to replace it ? ” Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose? Quote from loganxwolverine: “Raspberry Pi is getting old, and "has been" ” The problem is that their 'minor improvements' they do every year to justify selling a 'new' board variant like with this RPi 3+ now are sometimes just keeping up with every other board maker around (see the thermal design of the SoC variant and board th…

• Quote from strawb: “I just want OMV to mount dev-sda1 each time and go from there. I want to avoid using uuid's and labels if possible. ” Good luck relying on primitive and totally unreliable mechanisms from last century like those stupid device names starting with sd* (which can change anytime when devices are attached to different ports). Check the mount point of the HDD you configured first (most probably it's using the partition's label) and adjust the second disk in a similar way (of course…

• Unstable transfert SMB

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from loganxwolverine: “Raspberry Pi 3b+ ” Why do people buy crappy hardware? The manufacturer of this device doesn't give a sh*t about users. They just replaced one lame USB-Ethernet chip with another one and never did any tests prior to selling this board. Just do a forum search here or a web search for 'rpi 3b+ samba' -- even their forums is full of user complaints and AFAIK those 'great' RPi guys still have no solution (don't care anymore after they banned my account over there for cens…