Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 110.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi I began to find some resource to learn how to write a plugin for OMV. As many people seems to use OMV as a domain member having such plugin is a must. Moreover I would like to have a plugin to manage backups with BorgBackup. So, it is time to me to consider contributing now. @ryecoaaron Can you share the URL of your repository ?

• Hi @dohn I think I could give a try to check compatibility of my guide against a Windows 2008 server. I don't have later version. At least this would be a start. I'm tempted to begin writing a plugin to join a domain. Did you begin a plugin or are you sticking to a shell script ?

• Hi @dohn Did you tried realm discover your.domain.com to see how it is detected ?

• Hi SSSD is compatible with a LDAP but I did not experienced it. The tool realmd will detect the type of directory and configure sssd the correct way, so your plugin will probably not need to do specialized things depending on the type of directory.

• Active Directory / LDAP Revisited

dethegeek - - CIFS/SMB

Hi With OMV 3.x the base Debian operating system now has good tools to join a domain with a few commands. See the packages realmd and adcli, and my own guide I began to share here: [BETA] Guide how to join OpenMediaVault 3.x in an Active Directory domain

• Description With this guide you are able to join a Windows domain (Either a Windows domain controller, either a Samba 4 domain controller) with your OpenMediaVault server. This is a new method to join a domain with sssd instead of Winbind. It is much more easy to setup, and is more reliable than winbind. However there is a drawback: if SSSD chooses himself UID and GID, the numbers seems to high to be available in OMV's UI. If the Directory provides UID and GID set by the administrator, and low e…

• OMV in a lxc container

dethegeek - - General

Hi I just found a a post in proxmox VE forum showing how someone successfully installed OpenMediaVault in a LXC container, with workaround to each error found in the process. forum.proxmox.com/threads/open…ed-hw-block-device.29918/ I think it is very interesting to improve OMV for LXC compatibility. Enough to up this old thread

• Your setup seems fine since you can login with at least one user and they show when you issue getent passwd. I guess there is something going wrong when the UI tries to retrieve the users from the system, but I don't have knowledge about how the UI is designed. I found the following in the sources : github.com/openmediavault/open…diavault/system.inc#L5660 This code may be related to users enumeration for the UI. A debugging session here might help you to find out if it fails, and why.

• Join a Windows 2008 R2 domain with OMV

dethegeek - - General

hi I guess the IDs are not between 1000 and 60000. List again your users with getent, then check their IDs. They must be below UID_MAX. The same applies to groups. If your IDs are higher, then raise UID_MAX and GID_MAX.

• OMV in a lxc container

dethegeek - - General

Hi I tried when I joined this thread, without success : I don't have enough knowledge on LXC, and after I found a few solutions or workarounds to the first compatibility issues I thought about software RAID and LVM : a LXC container is a filesystem only. I guess RAID and LVM won't be manageable. The only solution, I think, would be to have an OMV instance without RAID and LVM management enabled. It does not makes sense because OMV should manage this itself. I finally gave up and continued to run…

• Hi A few years ago I configured PAM to use an OpenLDAP directory. This is a pain. I don't use the LDAP plugin so L'll let someone to talk about it. I advice you to use a dedicated tool to edit your accounts, because this iw probably a good (or best ?) practice. If I remember correctly there is a plugin to host some websites on OMV. Again, I'm using a distinct (virtual) machine; that's why I'm not sure about that. This would be enough for you to host LAM, as it fits your need, and it will fulfill…

• Hi I agree the users should be edited from an other thing than OMV. If using an AD or Samba 4 you may use a windows computer with RSAT. It is easier when the computer is a member of the domain, or you need an awful command line to workaround. For Samba 4 I'm using Ldap account manager (free version) aka LAM. It needs a big setup first but it's more open that windows. LAM is also compatible with OpenLDAP.

• Hi again, As I recommended you to use RID backend, you should read the documentation here samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/idmap_rid.8.html As I did not tried this backend, I cannot give you a baked and working smb.conf . I think you will be able to build your setup from my AD backend config and the documentation : only a few lines changes are needed Please note also you have to join the domain with net ads join -UAdministrator

• Hi Yes. However there are no plugin for OpenMediaVault to make the task easier (as far as I know). The two other main backends are RID and AD RID generates UIDs and GID from SID in a predictable way. This ensure consistent UIDs and GIDs across domain members (if they all use RID backend and the same ranges). AD needs you store UDs and GIDs in your dicrectory. This the current backend for my persoonal domain and an other I just setup this week an other entity. I prefer this because I have full co…

• Hi LDAP being very verbose, maybe you may workaround by using an other backend in samba. I suggest you try RID (without using LDAP plugin). However the UID and GID of your users may change after this setup. I strongly advice you to create a clean instance of OpenMediaVault to test it. By the way I know nothing about the GUI internals of OMV. Can someone tell me how OMV works when it retrived users and groups from the LDAP plugin ? I also strongly believe this would make sens tu create a plugin f…

• LDAP setup

dethegeek - - Plugins

Hi Depending on you domain controller type (AD, samba 4, OpenLDAP, other) you need to know where is your administrator account in the LDAP tree. I just installed an fresh OMV and LDAP plugin to see how it looks. Host : put here the ip of your domain controller. Alternatively you may try the DNS name of your controller, or the domain itself (if your name server is properly setup). Port : self explanatory, I guess you know what you have to put here SSL/TLS : probably disabled in your setup. Base D…

• Domain join plugin

dethegeek - - General

Hi I'm using a new method to join omv in a domain without using a LDAP server. It seems to work well and it is rather well documented in samba. Most users seem to use the RID backend. I prefer rfc2307. Anyway, this is rather easy. @abivarilan : the guide to join a windows 2012 ad is rather simple. My method is mostly the same. Are you able to read French ? I wrote my method in my own wiki, and I m lacking time to rewrite it here (in English) for now. howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org/inde…tager_via_CIFS…

• OMV in a lxc container

dethegeek - - General

Hi I gave up running omv as lxc guest fit now because NFS will not run. Kernel space nfs does not work in lxc, and user space implementation lacks file lock feature. (It seems NFS has the same limitations in LXC as in openVZ.) I remember collects cannot run in LXC. I found this may be due to /etc/hosts not set up properly (maybe if you rename container's hostname). If collect cannot start upon its installation some packages will not be configured, leaving the container in a unstable state. Choos…

• Hi I'm coming back, sorry for the very long delay; I'm way too busy. There is no best way to use winbind on OMV. I believe there are lots of considerations depending on your knowledge, the file server implemetnation and the DCs implementation. I'm having some good (first) results with sssd and realmd, which should be useful for you. Here are my notes (consider this is a draft which may contain some small issues) howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org/inde…ation_d.27un_client_Linux The client part you should …

• After reading the documentation you mention I notice that it has been tested on a rather old version of Ubuntu. As I'm rarely use this distro, I don't know whock version of Samba is provided here. This is very important because the idmap settings syntax changed a *LOT* between samba 3.5 and 3.6.6 (provided by Wheezy). Moreover, this has changed several times from a revision to an other. This is real mess.... As OMV runs on debian you do not need to bother with pam.d/common-* files. Pam-auth-upda…