Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 68.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hello, I would be really grateful for some advice on what to do to improve my setup. Here is what I currently have: NAS G1840 MSI B85M-E45 12GB RAM (2x4GB and 2x2GB) 1 x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD - for OMV 2 x 2TB Samsung F4 Harddrives 1 x 6TB WD Red Harddrive Superflower Golden Green 350w PSU Xigmatek Midgard Tower with 1 x 140mm exhaust fan and 1 x 120mm intake fan. Desktop PC i3-2105 MSI H61MA-E35 Antec NSK2480 Case 2 x 4GB RAM 60GB Sandisk Ultra SSD (for Linux Mint) 12GB Samsung SSD (for Windows) …

• Quote from macom: “This post and the complete thread might be interesting for you Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose? Quote from elsmandino: “If your Q1900DC-ITX broke, what do you think you would replace it with? ” I am glad I do not have to ask this question to myself I propose you open a new thread, describe what you want to achieve and ask for feedback. Important to describe what you want to do with your NAS. Pure storage, or web server, or media server and so on. ” Thanks macom -…

• Thanks very much for that. I have been doing a bit more research and I think that what you are are doing is the best idea - i.e. have a mirrored backup on another device, rather than using snapraid. What I intend to do is get two of these: amazon.co.uk/Seagate-BarraCuda…e+4tb+hard+drive+internal and then do this: Device 1 (main NAS) - 1 x 6TB and 1 x 4TB (plus SSD for OMV) Device 2 (backup NAS) - 1 x 4TB, 2 x 2TB, 1 x 500GB, 1 x 500GB Device 3 (USB backup) - 1 x 1TB Device 2 will backup everythi…

• Thanks very much tha, Macom. Have to just say that I love your hardware choices, as per your signature - simple but no doubt very effective! So am I correct that you (personally) have four copies of important documents - three at home (on your Asrock, on your HC2 and one of the USB harddrives) plus one at work (on the other USB harddrives)? With very important work, you have a fifth copy in the cloud? Is there any point in considering Snapraid and putting another 6TB harddrive in my server for p…

• Hello. I have had my NAS set up with OMV for a few years now and have got things in such a good state that I want to think about backing things up, properly. At the moment, I have quite a few hard drives installed: 1 x SSD (running OMV) 2 x 2TB 3.5" 1 x 6TB 3.5" 1 x 500GB 2.5" 1 x 500GB 3.5" (IDE) Around 1TB of this is super important (photos and camcorder footage) and I keep a copy of this on a 1TB hard drive in my desktop PC (I keep the two in sync by adding a copy of new files to both disks a…

• Thanks everyone for helping to confirm that it was a general issue (I was worried that I had somehow screwed up my server). Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from sirius: “Okay so we're all waiting for a fix ” You can disable the omv-extras testing repo until then. ” This did the trick, perfectly - everything is fine now. Thanks you.

• Hello, I tried checking for updates about a week and once everything had updated, I received the rather scary/lengthy error message contained in the attachment (it was too big to paste - so it is over 10,000 characters). I am too much of a novice to work out what I should do and would be really grateful for some help with a solution. Thank you.

• Hello. I usually watch recorded TV via Kodi and the TVHeadend backend/PVR plugin. Once I have watched the program, I am able to just delete it. However, I have also now added some recordings from another shared drive, directly as a Video source. I can watch them with no problem but cannot delete them. I am sure that this is must be due to the clients having read-only access but I don't know how to check and change this. I would be really grateful for some advice on where to look.

• Issues with OMV4.

elsmandino - - General

Thanks Macom. Your comment about checking my hardware was key! When I was replying with what hardware was on my server, it suddenly dawned on me that I had an old satellite card in it that I forgot to remove (I have since replaced with a SAT>IP Server). I whipped it out and the latest OMV4 .iso immediately booted up properly - it would seem that the Debian .iso contains firmware for my satellite card that are missing from the latest OMV4 .iso. Despite the OMV4 .iso now working on my system, I st…

• Woohoo - success! It turns out that when I was clicking on manual partition creation, I didn't know that you had to create a third UEFI partition. I just though you needed a root and a swap partition. Very happy camper now - thanks Sub, I really owe you one!

• Thanks very much for that - much appreciated. Unfortunately, I have run into a few more general installation problems. I think I shall start a new thread for that as I don't want to go to far off target from the original thread title. Thanks

• Issues with OMV4.

elsmandino - - General

Hello, I am really struggling with some general Linux issues at the moment and would be grateful for some advice. I have never had any problems with OMV3 - has been rock solid for sharing my drives on my network. The one thing that has been holding me back is that it was based on Jessie. I want to use TVHeadend and I need XMLTV 0.5.69 so I can use the tv_grab_zz_sdjson grabber as I have a Schedules Direct account. XMLTV 0.5.69 comes with Stretch (Jessie supports XMLTV 0.5.63), so I though that t…

• Thanks - good to know that it is advantageous (in principal) rather than absolutely recommended. Unfortunately, I am curious to now know why I cannot get the SSD to install as a GPT partition. I have read through the Debian wiki and, as you correctly say, if Debian 9 detects no partition, it will automatically create a GPT one by default. I am now wondering whether my messing around with manual partitions is preventing this. When it came to the insallation, I chose manual, with a view to creatin…

• Thanks for that. Had a go but still ended up with MBR on the SSD, whilst all my storage disks are GPT - very strange. I do have a UEFI BIOS. I know it is technically preferable to use GPT when possible but do you think I will noticed any difference at all sticking with MBT for the system drive?

• Thanks, Subzero79. I am still very much a Linux novice (still trying to tame the beast). Am I correct, therefore, that if I should do the following: 1. Convert my SSD partition to GPT, again, with Gparted. 2. Follow this guide, to install Debian 9 Minimal Server - howtoforge.com/tutorial/debian-minimal-server/ 3. Follow this guide, install OMV4 - Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

• Hello. I wanted to install OMV on my SDD as a GPT partition. I used Gparted to changed the partition from MBR to GPT and then ran the OMV installation. However, following installation, the partition always reverts to MBR again. Is there any way to stop this or do I have to use MBR?

• Hello, I am just about to swap my internal TV tuners for a SAT>IP server, meaning that I am no longer forced to use my big power-hungry server for scheduling/recording purposes. My original plan was to use a Raspberry Pi3, but have read that they just are not up to the job and that there are much better alternatives out there, now. What devices would be worth considering - something like a Rock64 or perhaps an Odroid-XU4? I ideally want a device that I can install TVHeadend on, plug in a hard dr…

• Thanks for that. Sorry - with regards to the RAM, I currently have 12GB, spread over 4 sticks (4 x 4GB and 2 x 2GB). I intended to remove the 2 x 2GB sticks, to leave me with 8GB - I assume that 12GB was overkill to begin with. It is very encouraging that you think a mobo/CPU is the way to go - now all I need to do is find one that has at least 4 Sata ports, a PCI slot and two PCIe slots - a tall order but it must exist out there. Thanks also for reassuring me that the case/fans/PSU are fine as …

• Thanks for that. Here are the specs of my current build: G1840 MSI B85M-E45 12GB DDR3 (2x4GB and 2x2GB) 1 x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD 2 x 2TB Samsung F4 Harddrives 1 x 6TB WD Red Harddrive Tuners - 1 x Hauppauge Nova HDS2, 2 x TechnoTrend TT-budget S2-4200 Superflower Golden Green 350w PSU (Gold Rating) Xigmatek Midgard Tower with 1 x 120mm exhaust fan and 1 x 140mm intake fan I have seen lots of other threads on here, where people have built servers based upon ARM Mini PCs. Whilst I would love to do …

• This is more of a theoretical question than a practical one but I was just wondering what hardware people would suggest if I were to rebuild my NAS from scratch. My criteria: 1. Room for an SSD and three 3.5" hard drives. 2. Room for three TV tuners (two PCIe and the other, PCI). 3. Quite and efficient. 4. Nothing too overly power - would be used for home automation, recording/streaming TV, home surveillance. What parts would you use?