Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Automount with BTRFS failed

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Primaerplan: “I've read many sites which all recommend 1GB ECC / 1TB HDD ” That's BS. You do not need ECC RAM to use ZFS (but of course if you really love your data you will spend the few additional bucks and get ECC RAM). 'Checksumming' filesystems like ZFS, btrfs or ReFS are even better on systems without ECC memory since when you scrub regularly you notice data corruption that happened. With ancient filesystems data corruption can remain undetected until it's too late. If you love …

• You reported something strange going on 10 hours ago, now you provide dmesg output from a system that shows Up time: 8:58 hours. So dmesg can not contain anyhing useful. Alternative approach: armbianmonitor -u

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Primaerplan: “I've tried ZFS, but it uses too much Ram an my MoBo isn't able to use ECC-RAM ” ZFS neither uses too much RAM (after adjusting settings for the use case) nor does it need ECC RAM. That's just an urban myth spread by someone some time ago that gets now copy&pasted since years for no reason (if lack of ECC RAM would be a catastrophe with ZFS it would be the same with btrfs) - ZFS by design wants almost all RAM to be used as ARC. In most home/SOHO installations ARC is usele…

• Quote from adamgreenberg: “odroidxu4 ” Better check dmesg output.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Primaerplan: “I've a RAID5-array with eight 8TB-hdd ” I hope you know that this is not the best idea (single redundancy with drives that large)? BTW: are you booting off an USB thumb drive?

• Execution failed Service nginx

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mrperfektone: “modprobe: FATAL: Module softdog not found ” Ignore this for now. Fixed in Armbian 2 weeks ago. With next updated kernel it will be fixed in your installation.

• Quote from jollyrogr: “Do yourself a favor and get an itx mobo with an i3 or i5 or a Pentium G series which is probably the best value chip for an OMV box ” What the hell are you doing with OMV? Number crunching 24/7 or do you use OMV as NAS? In case it's the latter can you please do me a favour, download LanTest and provide a screenshot testing with 10GbE settings against your OMV box?

• And another one in the making: NanoPi NEO4: forum.armbian.com/topic/7750-nanopi-neo4/ Might be an interesting choice for a small NAS with USB3 attached storage if the price tag remains low (related to DRAM which will obviously have low capacity here)

• Quote from Aussie3d: “Is there a way to limit the capacity of a folder to stop TimeMachine eating all the drive space ” Sure, that's what quotas are for. See the comment below the quota settings for an AFP share: Bildschirmfoto%202018-07-20%20um%2007.31.04.png

• eMMC vers SD card

tkaiser - - General

Quote from richprim: “So far I have not had any SD wear out on me ” One detail I forgot above: Updating OMV and the Debian base OS is always stress for the storage media. So while SD card or eMMC performance is pretty much irrelevant for normal operation this changes when updates are to be installed. Using slow/old/crappy SD cards this can take ages and also slow down OMV operation while updating since the OS is stuck on IO (I tried to explain here why) As explained here and reported by @wolffst…

• Raid Mirror

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Currymunster: “out of curiosity - whats the point of a raid system ” Availability or 'business continuity'. A drive fails but there's no business disruption. The whole RAID concept is BS if you don't use server grade hardware (UPS included) and do monitoring. In other words: In home/SOHO environments RAID just provides better feelings for exactly no reason ('I did something wrt redundancy' -- worthless). Better forget about availability and care about data protection.

• Quote from Dr.Proton: “My thought was to find an ITX case for the drives, get a cheap used ITX board with a soldered on CPU where I can put in the DDR3 SO-Dimms and a PSU ” Good luck with finding a motherboard that can cope with the RAM. Also I would compare prices of an ODROID-HC2 combined with a new 4TB HDD with what you want to assemble.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mrperfektone: “these "error" mail are some that have arrived either after I ran the command you gave me / or update that I made on the box ” Most probably they're the result of a crash (unsafe shutdown). Quote from mrperfektone: “It's mail notification that helps me keep an eye on whether it's unmounter a disk ” Sorry, but that's insane. If you have a hardware setup that results in disks unmounting from time to time you need to fix this. Next step is data or even filesystem corruption…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “The only real problem is that logs may or may not be working for some services. This usually doesn't affect functionality except in the nginx case I guess. ” In fact those services are affected with OMV: github.com/armbian/build/blob/…an/armbian-ramlog#L32-L38 (feel free to add something similar to folder2ram)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mrperfektone: “After I ran the command ... I get the following error on mail ” I don't believe so. Sounds you activated for whatever reasons mail notifications recently and now you get mails that scare you (like the totally irrelevant thing with /var/log/netatalk.log that should be fixed in OMV since more than half a year but might only affect new installations) You can do a 'touch /var/log/netatalk.log' to get rid of one of those daily mails and I would recommend to disable those not…

• RAID5 on raspberry with USB drives

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from kuschi: “I have successfully configured ” Sorry for being not clear enough. I'm not talking about OMV or anything wrt software/settings at all. Just that some SBC are simply not sufficient to do RAID with them (or attach any storage at all). If the whole setup is unreliable it's pointless to play RAID. It's about USB hubs between host and disks, about reliability of cable connections (horrible with USB3-A), about underpowering and about issues with USB-to-SATA bridges in disk enclosur…

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from kuschi: “What would be your recommendation to attach storage to this kind of SBC? Other than the internal SD card or eMMC module? ” None since unreliable. It's just the wrong SBC for the use case. Hardkernel learned their lesson and they came up with ODROID HC1 and HC2 which successfully eliminate most of the XU4 USB storage hassles. SBC with native SATA exist as well as those with PCIe where you can attach a SATA controller to.

• Quote from cskrat: “Testing the image posted earlier ” Thank you for the report. Since it boots everything's ok and it can replace the older variant at SF.

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from kuschi: “I now know better that the XU4 is not the perfect hardware for OMV ” No, this is not related to OMV at all. XU4 is just not the perfect hardware to attach USB3 storage to (see my signature for more explanations) while in fact OMV tries to mitigate this by some tweaks (detection of problematic USB-to-SATA bridges and applying 'fixes' for those). And in my personal opinion mdraid-1 is simply not worth a look (any more) since providing almost no protection against usual hassles …

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “If the 3.x image has the same pinnings as the 4.x image (don't remember), then the user will have to fix those pinnings ” Different pinnings back then: github.com/ThomasKaiser/OMV_fo…rences.d/99raspberrypiorg -- with these settings users get immediately after an OMV4 upgrade a mixture between Raspbian and Debian packages.