Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quote from MrTestOne: “it seems like the ODROID-XU4 seems to be the only solid single board PC with 2x USB 3.0 and GbE ” ODROID-XU4's Exynos SoC has 2 USB3 ports but no Ethernet. To one USB3 port there's the greatest USB3-to-GbE adapter available (RTL8153) connected, to the other USB3 port an internal USB hub. You don't want to have a hub between disks and host (at least not when you're interested in reliable operation). In other words: If you love unreliable operation buy just any USB3 hub avai…

• Quote from flmaxey: “Testing a USB drive covers all that really matters in the above ” Of course not. And you even thought I would talk to someone else but you.

• Move emmc from odroid xu4 to hc2?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mrperfektone: “is it possible to move an installation physically on emmc from odroid xu4 to hc2 ” No since there's no eMMC slot on HC2.If you have the SD card adapter you can clone the eMMC to an SD card of course and use the SD card in HC2 (they're 100% compatible so such an installation can be moved. I switched multiple times between XU4, HC1 and HC2 with same SD card last year)

• Quote from NickFi: “Perhaps as you said, it is very easy - insert the SD Card, plug the ethernet, turn on and then connect via SSH ” It's even easier since there's no need for SSH. Follow the readme.txt at the download page: 'insert the SD Card, plug the ethernet, turn on', then do a 'ping raspberrypi' from a client machine and if that does not work get 'Angry IP scanner' or whatever tool available for your OS to scan for IP addresses (every common router will tell you too) and access OMV in a w…

• Quote from NickFi: “forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991 (OMV 3) ” The first post links to New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images (no idea why the screenshots disappeared and now are just clickable links). But once you let OMV be installed correctly it's afterwards just enabling SSH and then calling 'nmtui' to get Wi-Fi access. No need to fiddle around with any other command. Maybe it works also from within OMV guy but I never tried this since Wi-Fi on SBC is too slow to be used (as…

• Seriously: I totally fail to get the case for a NAS not connected to the network (usual Wi-Fi on SBC is unusable for the NAS use case, way too slow. Only exceptions are those boards that allow to use the 5GHz band so if you have a RPi 3B+ and also a 5GHz capable AP then this might work but of course the board needs to be connected to wired network first) OMV is a headless OS, the best way to deal with it is without any display and keyboard attached.

• MD5 Hash for OMV 4 RPi ISO doesn't match readme.txt OMV is meant to be used headless. Check the readme.txt at download location (especially the 'be patient please' section and why OMV needs Internet access at first boot) and check the threads mentioned in the readme where it's explained how to easily set up your Wi-Fi (which won't work if you don't allow OMV to finish installation at first boot).

• Quote from rdowns: “If an OMV team member could verify the MD5 hash and post it, I would appreciate it ” The MD5 hash of the new image I created/uploaded is ff27e253c86abdcd51c533d4841d3ded (SHA1/MD5 hashes are also available if you click on the info button next to the image). @ryecoaaron: Can you please remove the MD5 has from readme.txt? At least one in 10,000 RPi users checks for download integrity

• I have been so angry today cause of OMV

tkaiser - - General

Quote from flmaxey: “If using a USB drive, a name brand drive is highly recommended. (SanDisk, PNY, Samsung, Corsair, etc.) ” Buying 'brands' is similar to buying counterfeit products (since fraudsters love brands for a reason). A simple web search for 'fake sandisk usb flash drive' should illustrate the problem. - Only buy stuff from sellers that provide a 'no questions asked' return/refund policy - and immediately test flash products with either f3 or h2testw after purchase. If they're fake yo…

• Automount with BTRFS failed

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Primaerplan: “I've read many sites which all recommend 1GB ECC / 1TB HDD ” That's BS. You do not need ECC RAM to use ZFS (but of course if you really love your data you will spend the few additional bucks and get ECC RAM). 'Checksumming' filesystems like ZFS, btrfs or ReFS are even better on systems without ECC memory since when you scrub regularly you notice data corruption that happened. With ancient filesystems data corruption can remain undetected until it's too late. If you love …

• You reported something strange going on 10 hours ago, now you provide dmesg output from a system that shows Up time: 8:58 hours. So dmesg can not contain anyhing useful. Alternative approach: armbianmonitor -u

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Primaerplan: “I've tried ZFS, but it uses too much Ram an my MoBo isn't able to use ECC-RAM ” ZFS neither uses too much RAM (after adjusting settings for the use case) nor does it need ECC RAM. That's just an urban myth spread by someone some time ago that gets now copy&pasted since years for no reason (if lack of ECC RAM would be a catastrophe with ZFS it would be the same with btrfs) - ZFS by design wants almost all RAM to be used as ARC. In most home/SOHO installations ARC is usele…

• Quote from adamgreenberg: “odroidxu4 ” Better check dmesg output.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Primaerplan: “I've a RAID5-array with eight 8TB-hdd ” I hope you know that this is not the best idea (single redundancy with drives that large)? BTW: are you booting off an USB thumb drive?

• Execution failed Service nginx

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mrperfektone: “modprobe: FATAL: Module softdog not found ” Ignore this for now. Fixed in Armbian 2 weeks ago. With next updated kernel it will be fixed in your installation.

• Quote from jollyrogr: “Do yourself a favor and get an itx mobo with an i3 or i5 or a Pentium G series which is probably the best value chip for an OMV box ” What the hell are you doing with OMV? Number crunching 24/7 or do you use OMV as NAS? In case it's the latter can you please do me a favour, download LanTest and provide a screenshot testing with 10GbE settings against your OMV box?

• And another one in the making: NanoPi NEO4: forum.armbian.com/topic/7750-nanopi-neo4/ Might be an interesting choice for a small NAS with USB3 attached storage if the price tag remains low (related to DRAM which will obviously have low capacity here)

• Quote from Aussie3d: “Is there a way to limit the capacity of a folder to stop TimeMachine eating all the drive space ” Sure, that's what quotas are for. See the comment below the quota settings for an AFP share: Bildschirmfoto%202018-07-20%20um%2007.31.04.png

• eMMC vers SD card

tkaiser - - General

Quote from richprim: “So far I have not had any SD wear out on me ” One detail I forgot above: Updating OMV and the Debian base OS is always stress for the storage media. So while SD card or eMMC performance is pretty much irrelevant for normal operation this changes when updates are to be installed. Using slow/old/crappy SD cards this can take ages and also slow down OMV operation while updating since the OS is stuck on IO (I tried to explain here why) As explained here and reported by @wolffst…

• Raid Mirror

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Currymunster: “out of curiosity - whats the point of a raid system ” Availability or 'business continuity'. A drive fails but there's no business disruption. The whole RAID concept is BS if you don't use server grade hardware (UPS included) and do monitoring. In other words: In home/SOHO environments RAID just provides better feelings for exactly no reason ('I did something wrt redundancy' -- worthless). Better forget about availability and care about data protection.