Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hacks might not learn anything about you, but note that Wcry was ransomware. It encrypted user data. The original virus asked for payment, in exchange for a key, or user data was lost to permanent encryption. NTLM equates to NTLM ver1. To get an idea of the levels, the age of protocols and all that, take a look here. There are ways to secure your media files, like making the SMB music share read only, with other enhancements like a one way Rsync job that updates your SMB shared media folder, fro…

• Quote from geaves: “Well done I'll second the eye issue, I have varifocals these are fine for everyday use, but if I get into a tight area where I need to look up I also have to move my head to 'see' out of the bottom of the lense. I now have a pair specifically for computer work, they seem to be a slightly stronger reading lense I had to take distance measurements from my sitting position to the farthest point on the monitors, they work great. ” Actually, I have great distance vision that's clo…

• Problem partition

flmaxey - - General

Quote from samuelea: “Hello, I ordered a 16gb usb 3.0 pedrive yesterday.For the cloning how can I do? ” There's a section in this guide that covers cloning flash boot drives, and other backup topics. (Regrets, the guide is only in English.)

• Configure NUT client

flmaxey - - Plugins

You can setup the UPS, using ACP software (and Windows unfortunately), to shutdown at some percentage of discharge. But this is configuring the firmware of the UPS, direct. The Linux Nut client powers down your server, based on time or at "low battery". ("Low battery" is another settable parameter with the ACP software.) I don't think the NUT client turns the UPS off. EDIT: I might be wrong about this. I queried my UPS with command for my driver (upsc 1000xs@localhost) and one of the returned pa…

• - The clone reading operation, for me, is usually 20 minutes. The write operation is longer but for some reason, this time around, it went way long. (It could have been a virus scan on the client. I didn't check.) It looks like the 2nd drive is going to take an hour. - On Google searches; I've found them to be more effective than searching the forum itself. If OMV is one of the terms, along with the error, you'll get more hits from a Google search than the built in forum search engine. (If it wo…

• I have been so angry today cause of OMV

flmaxey - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “Buying 'brands' is similar to buying counterfeit products (since fraudsters love brands for a reason). A simple web search for 'fake sandisk usb flash drive' should illustrate the problem. - Only buy stuff from sellers that provide a 'no questions asked' return/refund policy - and immediately test flash products with either f3 or h2testw after purchase. If they're fake you'll have no problems to get a refund. Never ever buy anything with flash memory from eBay, Aliexpress, e…

• If using a USB drive, a name brand drive is recommended. (SanDisk, PNY, Samsung, Corsair, etc.) While generic USB drives may test error free, and work, they may cause problems over time. Before using any USB drive, reformat it with SDFormatter and test it with h2testw1.4 (If errors are detected, don't use it. Buy a new one.) If possible, burn the OMV ISO and use a CD-Rom disk as an installation source. Problems can occur when using a USB drive as the software source, and installing to a 2nd USB …

• I'm updating USB clones, in prep for the OMV4 upgrade. On the write cycle, what started off looking like it would take about 20 minutes, has ballooned out to well over 3 hours. 16GB drives are starting to look better.

• (Well, until "someone wiser" chimes in. ) SMB1 has a weakness in it that allowed the Wcry (WannaCry) virus to exploit Windows machines globally. Patches stopped it and the virus was completely neutered when the domain it reported back to was bought. "But", weaknesses in SMB1 still exist, so a rewritten virus or other malware could, potentially, take advantage of them. Some time ago, MS disabled SMB1 with security patches which prevented currently supported and patched Windows machines from hosti…

• Problem partition

flmaxey - - General

Quote from samuelea: “For the time being big problems, I have not had any, we hope it will be so forever. ” If you use a USB drive for the boot drive, you'll find that they're very easy to clone. When your server is fully configured, with clones of your boot drive and healthy hardware, you'll be set for a long time.

• Quote from geaves: “Yes, I think if you apply the user root instead of admin and use the root password or leave the admin user in place but set the password as the admin login password to monitrc 'it might work' but it might not because any changes I seem to make that monitrc file reverts back to the default.__________________________________________________________________________________ ” Yep, the next "on demand" update in OMV (where the yellow "confirm" banner appears), resets a number of L…

• Problem partition

flmaxey - - General

Once you get some of the configuration details worked out, some time is involved - there's no way around that, I don't think you'll be disappointed. In the bottom line, you're in the right place. OMV is a great NAS solution.

• Problem partition

flmaxey - - General

I can't help you with FTP because I've never set up an FTP server. It's just an opinion, but I see the FTP protocol as insecure, out of date, excessive overhead - designed for days when connections were poor, etc. But, I'll acknowledge that you might have good reasons for setting an FTP server up. ________________________________________ If you look under Services, FTP, in the Settings Tab, you can change the max logon attempts number to 100 if you like. Repost on the forum (or take a look at th…

• Quote from geaves: “ During the install I picked this up from the log file You are not authorized to access monit. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.That error is relevant because when I tried to access the web interface it failed with connection refused! So back to monitrc....this was back to the default file and I had to change it again. I am wondering if the problem is related to the user an…

• Quote from geaves: “ During the install I picked this up from the log file You are not authorized to access monit. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.That error is relevant because when I tried to access the web interface it failed with connection refused! So back to monitrc....this was back to the default file and I had to change it again. I am wondering if the problem is related to the user an…

• Automount with BTRFS failed

flmaxey - - General

Quote from Primaerplan: “ How can i fix this problem permanently? ” Is there a reason why you must use BTRFS? Have you given thought to trying ZFS?

• Problem partition

flmaxey - - General

OMV was designed to operate with two drives. One is a boot drive for the OS, and the other is for data. As you get into it, especially when it comes to backup, you'll begin to understand that 2 separate drives is good for Servers and NAS systems. Get a 16GB USB drive (a good one, Samsung, SanDisk, PNY, etc.) and install OMV on it. They're not expensive. After that, you'll have the USB drive for booting and your spinning hard drive for your data. OMV will work as designed. If you can read English…

• Quote from drwhowhogrub: “1. it took a bit of playing around as I kept thinking the remote mount wasn't local, but once I realisedthat the mount was local it worked! 2. So now I'm ready to do the big file shift as I was testing it first encase I messed it up. 3. The more I'm using OMV I'm seeing how powerful it is. So I am getting rid of the FreeNas server as It seems to be a resource hog. I think that I will set up another OMV as a backup server and try those steps you have suggested ” Key'ed t…

• That thread led to a protracted and unexpected discovery - Monit in a Web interface, that's configurable from the same. Who would have thought? Looking back, I think I went through that extended troubleshooting exercise simply because this last winter was just so daxx cold. I need to do an OMV "hacks" section in the User Manual and put the Monit Web Interface in there, along with darkening Read Only text fields and a few other items. _________________________________________________________ You …

• (Back in Town.) I'm impressed - it seems you got it right, out of the gate. (To explain it for others who may read this.) First, Remote Mount uses a user name and password that has access to the remote SMB network share. (This must be a user, recognized by the remote server, who has access to the SMB share.) In the Remote Mount plugin dialog box, the fields needed are; Mount type SMB/CIFS Server name (or IP) Share name username password If configured correctly, the root of the Remote Mounted sha…