Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quote from Antinomy: “could you give an input about a wireless energy efficient storage platform to choose? ” Nope. No experiences whatsoever since wireless performance depends on so many factors and I never did any consumption measurements so far in this area. But 'performance' means 'the more antennas the better' (increases consumption) and modern standards that make use of 5GHz band. So you need at least 2x2 MIMO and 802.11n or 802.11ac on both 'server' and 'client'. I would most probably sta…

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from NASNoob1: “I would buy Seagate too but everyone says they fail ” If spinning rust we only use Seagate. Usually SAS drives but on cold storage also SATA Exos E formerly known as 'Enterprise Capacity'.

• HDD for NAS: which one to buy

tkaiser - - General

No need to open up a new thread since all opinions are already shared: Which hard drive? I prefer warranty over statistics (since the latter is irrelevant for my disks since I don't buy tens of thousands but just a few per year)

• Quote from TOMillr: “As a NAS both should offer enough power, right? ” For the NAS use case they're both way too powerful Seriously: You get same NAS performance and the bottleneck will always be the HDD used -- something to keep in mind when using 2.5" HDD that are not entirely empty. HDDs use ZBR and once they fill up transfer speeds will slow down below the Gigabit Ethernet network bottleneck) If it's about transcoding usually ARM SoCs are too slow to let this happen on the CPU cores. But the…

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

Quote from Mr.Grape: “Is HC1 exactly the same as HC2? ” Nope, since 3.5" HDDs need 5V and 12V at the same time HC2 wants to be fed with 12V while HC1 unfortunately wants 5V (that's why underpowering hassles are possible with HC1). On HC2 there's therefore some DC-DC circuitry to generate the 5V from 12V which generates slightly more heat (so it's ok that thermal readouts of both boards differ slightly at same load -- the DC-DC circuitry sits next to the SoC and dissipates heat into the PCB)

Quote from chatzakis: “Apparently it transfers everything through the laptop and back to the external drive which is extremely slow and takes forever... ” The external disk uses USB2 which limits transfer speeds to below 37 MB/s, your internal disk is a 2.5" one so bottlenecked to ~80-90MB/s over the entire surface, the network is bottlenecked to ~70-100MB/s based on how large the files are. If you copy through network the most relevant bottleneck is still USB2 for the external disk and this wil…

• OMV not accessible after a few days

tkaiser - - General

Hmm... no idea. Could be related to undervoltage (PSUs getting older) and without a serial console it's close to impossible to really get a clue what's going on. AFAIK on the XU4 you can not use those cheap $1 USB serial dongles from Aliexpress or eBay but need the official one from Hardkernel (due to different voltage levels -- but I might be wrong so better check Hardkernel's wiki for information)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “RPi-Monitor was installed ” Well, you could now have a look whether there's high load on the system prior to it not being available any more. RPi-Monitor logs load and temperatures so it should give a clue whether a crash/freeze is related to high activity or to something else. But looking into logs especially /var/log/syslog (or providing them via pastebin.com) might be more interesting.

• Quote from jojos38: “I have same error and same problems with bluetooth etc... ” Which 'problems with bluetooth'?! OMV doesn't make use of BT, there's a service enabled by accident that throws a warning and people start to panic? The 'problem with bluetooth' might be gone once you execute Source Code (1 line)

• Call for testers: OMV4 for ARM boards

tkaiser - - General

Quote from nguyenhoangonline: “Could you please create image file for Orange Pi Prime? ” Nope, please choose variant 2) from here: OMV4 on ARM boards (kind of a how-to)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “armbianmonitor -r doesn't do anything ” Well, then if you want RPi-Monitor you need to follow the manual installation instructions you'll find on the net.

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Small cores are almost always unused, normal is it? ” Sure. And if data is received ('upload' as you call it) then Ethernet (USB in fact) IRQs have to be processed in addition to application CPU usage.

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “102400 16384 37278 64468 106207 111845 ” Also just 37 MB/s in the beginning. Debug output looks ok so you might try to execute Source Code (1 line)and re-test (both iozone and via Samba)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “I think I understand everything you wrote, except the sync option. Is this also in the fstab? ” Yep, but I forgot that the image you're using relies on btrfs for the rootfs so simply remove the commit=600 entry there and reboot after disabling folder2ram. Another possibility is to install RPi-Monitor to get a clue whether there is high load prior to the device becoming unavailable. On the ARM OMV images it's a simple 'armbianmonitor -r' (details). But this will permanently wr…

Quote from Mr.Grape: “The disk is being aggressively stopped. Too fast for my taste ” So they still sell old HC1 that need the firmware update? Please do a web search for 'jms578 firmware update site:forum.openmediavault.org' Kernel 4.9 is currently the norm (an update to 4.14 is in the works, you'll get it via updates sometimes in the future) and no idea why transfer speeds are low. You might want to benchmark your storage individually using iozone (preinstalled on the Armbian based OMV images)…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from DHGE: “look at the files in /var/log ” Useless on OMV installations with enabled flashmemory plugin Logs remain in RAM and with an unsafe shutdown everything is lost. @Frepke you need to execute /sbin/folder2ram once to get the options then disable folder2ram and check using 'df' prior and after. Then to really get something into the logs which might show a root cause you need to also edit /etc/fstab, remove the commit=600 option and use the sync option (check carefully what you do si…

• Quote from Adoby: “4TB disks in a beefy combined home lab server / NAS that I can use to experiment with VMs and Docker and so on ” I hope you put VMs and Docker containers on a fast SSD instead. All HDD suck horribly at random IO

• Quote from PangPinne: “I don't have the disks for RAID10 ” You have them but since you don't read the replies to your questions it's useless to continue. Again: Home NAS build, FS info (last paragraph!) Every time I see someone using RAID-1 in 2018 I feel sad. It's soooooo anachronistic and provides almost no protection. Edit: apologies! Just realized that the last link in my old post was broken. Corrected it in the post and here: blog.a2o.si/2014/09/07/linux-s…aid-10-instead-of-raid-1/

• i can't mount 3tb disk (ntfs)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from chrispe: “OMV runs on odroid-c2 and i use samba protocol for sharing ” Ok, then you don't use our latest image but something else with OMV installed on top (since there's a FAT partition which is not needed on any SBC except Raspberry Pi). But ODROID-C2 is almost the same as an RPi with the NAS use case in mind (since all disks behind an USB hub which is something you clearly don't want) Quote from chrispe: “can i convert ntfs to ext4 without losing data? ” Nope.

• Linux Samba transmission break

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from weisong: “The speed of transmission in Linux and Mac OS systems is 6m/S ” Ok, once again: you're using the most crappy SBC possible for a NAS. The Raspberry Pi is lousy. Replace it with something with real Gigabit Ethernet (tons of other SBC have) and you're done. Here's an explanation why Windows Explorer is able to max out a Fast Ethernet connection like yours while file managers on other platforms do not (though macOS Finder should also be able to achieve higher transfer rates): he…