Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 77.

• Since you didn't get a reply on this yet, thought I'd share what I can: Quote from jigsaw: “Is it right way to add sata ports to add this motherboard? ” This is a popular way, to do it. There are others, but this should work well. Quote from jigsaw: “Adding by this card should i worried about data corruption or something? ” These are pretty reliable cards, so shouldn't be a concern. If you get one without a provided Mini-SAS cable, make sure to get a good quality one. Quote from jigsaw: “Is OMV …

• Quote from Dr.Proton: “I really want to keep it cheap and therefore use the old components here. Best the 3-5 harddrives (in any Raid combination) and the 2 GB DDR3 memory. My thought was to find an ITX case for the drives, get a cheap used ITX board with a soldered on CPU where I can put in the DDR3 SO-Dimms and a PSU. ” You don't say where you are? If you are in the US/Canada, I know EBay is a likely place to find the older parts you'd need. Be aware that most ITX with soldered on CPUs have on…

• Files by samba very slow

Markess - - Network

Quote from Stramm: “I have the same board and no problems with smb speed. Bios power saving options are all enabled. ” Quote from ryecoaaron: “I have a QNAP TS-451 with a J1800 that has been running OMV for a few years. It has no problems saturating gigabit via samba or nfs with no custom settings on anything. And it did this with OMV 2.x then 3.x and now 4.x. ” I think that's part of the issue, its intermittent. Certain hardware combinations are completely unaffected, even with the same base ha…

• I posted a recommendation on your other thread concerning the slowdowns you've been experiencing, if you haven't returned your motherboard yet, you may wish to try it. As @tkaiser notes, a bit of troubleshooting is a good idea. Concerning a new motherboard though, as @TheLostSwede notes, without knowing your goals for OMV, its hard for people to make recommendations. If you do decide to buy a new motherboard, a general suggestion is to find hardware that has good Linux support. OMV runs on Debia…

• Files by samba very slow

Markess - - Network

The issue may be with the C States setting. Ever since the Bay Trail series (j1800/1900), Intel embedded J series processors have had random freezing/slowdowns under Linux. While a high severity bug has been open for years, this hadn't been fixed. Intel hasn't addressed it either, both because it's intermittent and because this segment is a low margin, low profit segment for the company. One of the most noticeable symptoms of this problem is transfers slowing to a crawl, which is what you have. …

• Quote from captainwtf: “Yeaaaaaaaaaaa. I'm not sure what the deal is. It shouldn't be a compatibility issue with any of the hardware I have in this machine. Supermicro X10 board, I've tried the install with my HBA unplugged. i've tried different USB drives... just doesn't make sense. ” I've been testing OMV with a bunch of different hardware the last month using OMV 4.1.3. No issues writing the installation files on any combination of hardware, EXCEPT a Supermicro board (X9DBL-iF) with a USB Fla…

• Quote from moisemust: “Last question : is omv as demanding in terms of ram usage as freenas if I install zfs support? Is it really that better than other file systems? ” Generally, OMV (Debian) will use a similar amount of RAM as FreeNAS. As I mentioned above, FreeNAS is very conservative in their listed requirements. So, the difference between FreeNAS listed requirements and other application/OS listed requirements for ZFS, is less what the system really needs and more what the Project Team thi…

• Selecting Hardware for "New" NAS

Markess - - Motherboards

Quote from TheLostSwede: “Even second hand, the R630 seems to be going for around $2,000-3,000, so you'd be mad not to take it and put it up on eBay if nothing else. The Supermicro would most likely be the easiest one to work with, as you'll be able to easily replace things like the PSU etc. as unlike Dell, Supermicro follows standards. Note that the Supermicro board isn't ATX, but rather SSI CEB so it may or may not fit in a standard ATX case. The mounting holes should be the same, but the rear…

• Just realized in my post above that I'd originally written "people on the OMV forum aren't helpful", when I'd meant to say "People in the FreeNAS forum..". A typo, which I've fixed. People in the OMV forums are VERY helpful, which is one of the reasons I left FreeNAS in the first place.

• Quote from moisemust: “I was hesitant between OMV which I already used (on a Raspberry Pi 3) and FreeNAS. I chose OMV just because of the gigantic amount of RAM FreeNAS requires. And this is what bugs me. Why such a difference between the two OSes? I know they don't share the same foundations as FreeNAS is built upon FreeBSD and OMV upon Debian but I'm sure it doesn't explain everything? ” FreeNAS uses ZFS, which is pretty memory intensive. Some folks argue that the FreeNAS system requirements a…

• Quote from liquid7: “Quote from Markess: “Definitely need to defer to you on these things, as its way above my expertise. In any case, I now think my issue is slightly different from the others here. I'm failing to boot due to the mdadm message others are getting, followed by busybox prompt, But in my case, I was starting with a fresh install and no disks connected. I wanted to pull some baseline power numbers with no disks attached, and couldn't get it to boot due to that message. I never got t…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “I would think that might be a reason why OMV doesn't boot but it shouldn't be the reason the kernel can't re-assemble an array. Each drive has a signature on it and the arrays are re-assembled by their signatures. It *shouldn't* care about the drive letters. ” Definitely need to defer to you on these things, as its way above my expertise. In any case, I now think my issue is slightly different from the others here. I'm failing to boot due to the mdadm message others are g…

• I may just be guessing, but it appears to me that the issue only comes up when OMV gets installed to a device other than Sda, and then the device connected as Sda changes between installation and first boot. For most folks, this is either because the installer was Sda during installation and it now that disk/drive is removed, and/or because the disks for the array are subsequently attached and the first disk became Sda. In the case of @ebreetteville in a previous post, OMV was installed to a fla…

• Selecting Hardwre for "New" NAS

Markess - - Motherboards

My new NAS project got derailed when my wife's home workstation died on a Saturday night when she was on a deadline, and I wound up using my new NAS parts to get her running again. She liked the results so much, she decided to keep it, leaving me with a bunch of new WD Reds and nothing to put them in. As a replacement, my wife suggested I look through some hardware at her work leftover from a recent refresh, My NAS doesn't do a lot of heavy lifting, so most of what I found was overkill. On the o…

• Quote from captainwtf: “Was any type of firmware flash needed or plug and play essentially? ” Once the controllers are in the mode you want (HBA or RAID), they are plug and play. The drivers have been in the Linux Kernel for some time. Both OMV 3.x and 4.x have them. As for firmware, the Supermicro card can take the LSI firmware flash with no problem. However, the Supermicro firmware is unmodified LSI as far as I can tell, so I went with Supermicro's out of convenience. Generally, you'll find in…

• My first NAS in HP 8300SFF

Markess - - My NAS Build

Quote from rafq998: “When it comes to RAID, I know what the task is and what are the configurations. If you advise RAID in the HP 8300 and OMV, then maybe: 1 - disk for the system, 2 - data disk 3 - disk for copying the disk 2 with some script, plug-in or program (if you know such a solution, please answer).In ” In the configuration you mention above, you could could set up Rsync to run automatically, via the "Scheduled Jobs" tab in the web interface, to copy data from disk 2 to disk 3. I starte…

• I use a Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8i, which is the same LSI 2008 series chip as the 9211 & H310. If you are in the U.S. you can get them new for about $15 shipped on E-Bay. Definitely a cost saver. I have 3TB drives connected with no problem. They go so cheap because they are the Supermicro proprietary UIO format though (components on the opposite side of the PCB). In my tower configuration this is actually an advantage. Since the components are facing upward heat seems to dissipate better than a co…

• Quote from FKD: “Anyone with insight into getting the most from this small unit. ” I had one of these, still do somewhere in fact. I stopped using mine because it was very slow, and because it had very limited power management tools, so it essentially ran "full out" all the time. It drew more power than a small PC when both were at idle. That said, the main issue with using one of these today is that it won't have any recent security updates. That's a common problem with pre-configured NAS, medi…

• Its definitely a tradeoff when you are using old parts. I would suggest that if these are important files and this is going to be your backup for them and your PC(s), this isn't the approach you should take. Making your oldest hardware the backup target for your newer systems, may not be the best idea. If you have good backup somewhere else, and you want the NAS so you can access files from a central point quickly...in other words...its strictly for convenience, then its probably fine. You just …

• As an update: I was able to install successfully by moving the USB Flash drive installation media around the computer's USB ports until I found a combination where the installation target (system drive) came up as sda and the flash drive was sdb. There may be other issues I didn't find. But for me, simply ensuring the installation target (system disk) was sda fixed it. Quote from ZeroGravitas23: “One thing I think may be the problem which maybe someone above can help replicate is that OMV4 won't…