Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Help with Easy Backup solution

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “This is a pretty good article that they pretty much replicate rsnapshot with scripts and rsync. Maybe a whole new plugin using some of these ideas with a restore and remote capabilities since I think this can do a push to remote that rsnapshot can't do. ” After reading the article, it reminds me of the scripts zfs-auto-snapshot uses to create periodic snapshots. zfs-auto-snapshot is a pretty slick setup; scripts that use cron, auto naming-dating, and cleaning up snapshots…

• Quote from GreatBigGeek: “Is there an updated procedure somewhere in this 40 page thread for installing ZFS? If so, can someone save me the trouble of flipping through 40 pages? The original procedure as documented 3 years ago does not seem to apply to the most recent release. I go into the update management and don't see any "extras" thanks ” In basic terms, installing the ZFS plugin will give you "ZFS". (And the installation may take awhile.) After that, it's a matter of having wiped drives av…

• When I've run into "Could not get a lock", a reboot cleared the issue. There may be other ways to do it.

• Reinstall of OMV due to a dead drive

flmaxey - - General

A clicking drive is most likely a completely dead drive. In that's the case, to get data from it, you might be looking at forensic recovery that's beyond a home user's capability and way too expensive to farm out to a recovery firm. @DHGE is on the mark regarding Windows 10 - it can't "see" Linux file formats - and with trying to use a recovery CD. (There are plenty out there and it won't hurt to try.) Where OMV is concerned: If you physically remove the dead/dying drive, OMV might boot but with…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from flmaxey: “Rsync could be used in combination with Remote Mount, ” I don't want to have to use remotemount. The plugin would either use rsync or rsync+ssh. ” You are way more qualified than I am to chose the right approach. (Not to mention being the Dev that codes it. ) But I believe the net concept as I understand what you're purposing, push/pull remote sync capability, is roughly the same.

• Quote from NASNoob1: “Read this: jodybruchon.com/2017/03/07/zfs…about-bit-rot-and-raid-5/ ” As is the case with many articles out there, the above is just an opinion piece written by someone with a reasonable grasp of English, but a lack of decor. (It's a shame when someone tries to emphasize points, using crass language, achieving the exact opposite effect.) In this article, there's no verifiable data present and no peer reviewed white papers referenced. It's simply a compilation of "like minde…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “This is a pretty good article that they pretty much replicate rsnapshot with scripts and rsync. Maybe a whole new plugin using some of these ideas with a restore and remote capabilities since I think this can do a push to remote that rsnapshot can't do. ” I'll have to read up on this more closely when I get back this coming weekend but,,, that would be so freaking cool! I'm guessing your thinking about remote drive sync and restoration, in a plugin!.... And it didn't occu…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from flmaxey: “It would be great to be able to pick a source drive and a destination drive, a schedule, and it's done. Simple. Restore could be a button, with a "are you sure" caution popup, that restores to a new drive (raid pair, etc.) with the same label or maybe another drive that's wiped and mounted. ” So, you want something that effectively clones one drive to another drive? Not just an rsync? ie creates the partition table and filesystem then rsyncs the data.…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from macom: “Quote from flmaxey: “rsnapshot sync's shared folders - not entire drives ” you can use rsnapshot on /sharedfolders on OMV4 which basically backups all the user data ” I thought of using the same concept when I set up OMV for the first time, put everything in sub-dir's under a root shared folder. But it introduces permissions issues and data segregation problems that might not be desirable as new users gain experience. And there's still the selection of the appropriate rsnapsho…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from flmaxey: “rsnapshot sync's shared folders - not entire drives ” When used from the plugin, this is true. But, it is the same for rsync. You are getting around that by using scheduled jobs. It is possible to do that with rsnapshot as well. ” Since it can be constructed without leaving the GUI, I thought of the drive-to-drive work around, using Scheduled Tasks, would be useful for beginners. I'll have to look into doing the same with rsnapshot but, looking at the…

flmaxey - - General

First, let's keep in mind that this thread is about a "simple" full drive backup. While not mentioned, but just as important, a simple restoration process is implied. _________________________________________________ Yesterday, I loaded up rsnapshot, just to see how it works. Unless I got it completely wrong, rsnapshot sync's shared folders - not entire drives. With that noted; for myself and the wife, there are 10 each shared folders supporting our network shares. That might be more than the av…

• Quote from hoppel118: “Is here anybody using kernel 4.17 in combination with zfs? Any problems? ” I'm somewhat surprised to find; with OMV4 - Kernel 4.17 and the ZFS 4.0.4 plugin, that a ZFS mirror is running well on an Atom D525 processor with 4GB RAM. That's certainly not fast hardware. I still have a bit of testing to do, but it looks pretty good so far.

flmaxey - - General

Quote from henfri: “Sorry, No. He does have a mirror already. He needs a backup. Removing the delete option will create a mess. A versioned backup is the solution. Did I mention rsnapshot? That does it all for you. Based on rsync by the way ” While I'd agree that rsnapshot is a much more flexible solution, being the rough equivalent of ZFS Snapshots, a number of user decisions would be involved in a restoration. In @porkenstein 's posts, he's made it clear that he's looking for "simple backup" a…

• Which hard drive?

flmaxey - - My NAS Build

From the Blackblaze study, most of the WD, Toshiba, and NGST models tested seemed to have longer life when compared to other brands. Yeah, Seagate does get a bad rap. However, I'm, running 2 Seagates at 5900rpm in a 4TB ZFS zmirror. They're desktop drives. At 10K hours, so far, they've been fine. On a backup server, I'm running 2 Toshiba's (NAS drives I got on sale), at 7200rpm , in a zmirror and I'm Rsync'ing the mirrors' entire contents to a 4TB UnionFS drive. That gives me two full copies of …

• Which hard drive?

flmaxey - - My NAS Build

Quote from NASNoob1: “So NAS drives just have optimized firmware? And because of that they cost so much more? I mean... there is a Seagate Barracuda 4 TB for around 60€ out there.Why not using this? ” Setting aside obvious differences like rotation speed and form factor; mechanically, there's very little in the way of real differences between spinning hard drives. The media itself, the platters, are made by only a hand full of manufactures world wide. Drive OEM's, from time to time, will make an…

• Quote from hoppel118: “Is here anybody using kernel 4.17 in combination with zfs? Any problems? ” I'm using 4.17 with the ZFS 4.0.4 plugin, on my backup, but it's only been running for a week. (To be fair, that's not long enough to detect something subtle.) Given @ryecoaaron 's tweaks, I'm considering the proxmox kernel when I update my primary server.

flmaxey - - General

Deletion of files from the destination, that are not in the source, is a requirement for a true mirror. Otherwise, without the --delete switch, the destination drive would get,, well,,, "fat". If one wants file deletion protection, the --delete switch could be dropped. It could be reinserted, from time to time, for clean up.

• As a last update,I found that any change in the entries in the network dialog box resulted in the Gateway error (This field should be an IP4 address). The matching Gateway and DNS address was just a coincidence. Sadly, the backup image and cloned USB stick were affected as well. Rebuilding....

flmaxey - - General

I was where you are, right now, a few years ago. I was looking at WHS installs that were not going to be supported anymore and I didn't want to pop for the price of Windows Server Essentials for home use, so the search was on. I tested a number of Distro's that included Amahi server, SME, ClearOS, various turnkey distros, freenas, rockstor, etc. For my point of view, OMV was the best of the lot. __________________________________________________ Just remember, as part of your decision, WHS in ei…

• Quote from nitpwn: “With that aside, is it possible to broadcast the "Bridge" ip addresses (172.17.0.0/16) to the local (192.168.1.0/24) network, so I could reach the docker container by the 172.17.0.x ip address from a remote machine on the network? ” Generally speaking - No and it's not a good idea to try. The 172.x.x.x is an internal network, used by the Docker app, to communicate with it's containers. Separating this internal network, from your LAN network, is part of the isolation measures …