Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 26.

• RAID5 missing

mediagiant - - RAID

Quote from ryecoaaron: “We have said over and over to not use raid on usb drives let alone an RPi. Very bad idea. If this command doesn't work, you are on your own. mdadm --assemble --verbose --force /dev/md127 /dev/sd[abc] If that works, omv-mkconf mdadm ” It worked, so thanks for that. Of course, I'm trying to decide where to go from here because this doesn't seem like it's going to be very reliable.

• RAID5 missing

mediagiant - - RAID

Well I knew it wasn't ideal, but I didn't think it would totally DIE on me. I just figured it wasn't going to be as fast as doing a proper RAID with a SATA card. Fortunately, I have not lost any data as a result because I had an RSync backup in place to a single drive. It's just annoying and making me regret buying all those external hard drives. Any thoughts on how I can put these drives to better use while not spending a ton of money on a pricey enclosure? I guess I could RSync from one to ano…

• RAID5 missing

mediagiant - - RAID

More details: Source Code (45 lines)

• RAID5 missing

mediagiant - - RAID

Yesterday, I went to access my RAID5 array through Windows, and it was disconnected. I couldn't get it back, so unplugged my Raspberry Pi and plugged it back in to power cycle it. I have three Toshiba Canvio 1 TB USB drives plugged in through a powered USB hub that is, in turn, plugged into my Raspberry Pi. I also have a fourth Toshiba Canvio drive that I use as a backup, and I can still access that one. Here's the information from SSH: Source Code (16 lines)

• When I look at my SMB/CIFS shares, I don't see the option to add anything. I have my RAID5 set up, and I have a shared folder set up. But no way to create a share. Interestingly, I am already using the shared folder called Toshiba as a Windows network share successfully, but I want to switch over to the RAID5 and make the Toshiba one a backup drive.

• This is all great information. Thank you. I suppose, for my needs, backup is more important than redundancy. I do have another drive that uses Rsync to back up to the RAID1. That's my little network share, and it handles that perfectly well for me. Much more reliable than my old Pogoplug was. Again, all of this is connected via a powered USB hub to the Raspberry Pi. I suppose I was misled a bit by stuff like this: lifehacker.com/5988835/turn-a-…y-pi-into-a-low-power-nas techradar.com/how-to/comp…

• This might seem like a dumb question, but again, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. How exactly do you get the command line for mdadm to even launch. Also, I found this: openmediavault.readthedocs.io/…tration/storage/raid.html - Do not use RAID arrays in production with drives connected via USB, neither hubs or different ports. This includes low power devices that do not have a SATA controller, e.g. Raspberry Pi, Pogoplugs and any low entry ARM SBC. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 as my server and …

• Noob here. I'd like to grow my RAID1 into a RAID5 by adding another hard drive, but the user interface won't allow me to do it. The "Grow" button is greyed out. It won't even let me add it as a hot spare. I get this error: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mdadm --manage '/dev/md0' --add /dev/sde 2>&1' with exit code '1': mdadm: /dev/md0 has failed so using --add cannot work and might destroy mdadm: data on /dev/sd…

• When I tried this, I got an error message: "Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sdb1." Any other ideas? Also, here's the response from my other command. Note: the Toshiba drive is working; the JMicron drive is not. [{"opts": "defaults,nofail", "fsname": "/dev/disk/by-id/usb-TOSHIBA_External_USB _3.0_20171030011372F-0:0-part1", "uuid": "e7bad14a-ada4-40b6-960c-1759706266a9", "passno": 2, "dir": "/srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-TOSHIBA_External_USB_3.0_201710300 11372F-0-0-part1", "hidde…

• I mounted it from the Web UI.

• OK, so I started over with a fresh run of OMV. I actually got the new, blank drive to work. BUT I'd still like to get the old drive that has all my files on it to work as well. That drive is sdb1 now. I have the NTFS file system, and the drive is mounted. However, when I attempt to add a shared folder, I get an error message when I attempt to select a device. So, is this because there are files on this drive? If I can't get this mounted, does anyone have any thoughts on how I might quickly move …

• Getting closer. I installed a new NTFS file system on the drive (I think my mistake before was using ext4). But whenever I adjust my configuration, I get an error message. And when Windows asks for my password to access the drive, it doesn't work.

• I've been using a Pogoplug Series 4 (two of them, actually) for a couple of years, but even though everything lights up (including the USB hard drive when plugged in), I can't get them to access my drives over the network anymore. It used to work. The drives are just fine when plugged directly into my laptop, but the Pogoplugs don't work for some reason. So I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 thinking this was the way to make everything work. Alas, I still can't access my drives over the network.

• So I'm not sure where to go from here.

• Output: [{"fsname": "/dev/disk/by-label/Toshiba", "uuid": "c7ebeeca-d143-4fa6-858d-72828ad95b30", "hidden": false, "type": "ext4", "freq": 0, "dir": "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Toshiba", "passno": 2, "opts": "defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl"}] $ [{"fsname": "/dev/disk/by-label/Toshiba", "uuid": "c7ebeeca-d143-4fa6-858d-72828ad95b30", "hidden": false, "type": "ext4", "freq": 0, "dir": "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Toshiba", "passno": 2, "opts":…

• Root login is enabled, but I wonder if I changed the root password and just don't remember it. (Any idea how one might reset the root password?) In any event, I found another way to SSH...but that didn't really get me very far.

• Yes, that is enabled as well.

• Update: I bought another USB hard drive, and this one is mounted. I have shared folders available. I have SMB/CIFS enabled, and I have my user account set up with read/write access. BUT what I still don't have is the final piece...the drive appearing as an option in Windows. It's just not there. What am I missing? Also, SSH is enabled, but it still won't take the root password. Is there a way to reset that?

• Again, I'm new at this, so please be patient with me. I downloaded PuTTY and used SSH to get to my Raspberry Pi, but it's calling for a password, and the only password I know is the default admin password I use to get to the openmediavault web interface. It's not accepting that. There's not another way to send that command to the Pi, is there?