Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 41.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I also shouldn't log in as root

• Quote from "davidh2k": “I like your signature. :lol: Greetings David” Thanks dude, the sad part, after 20 years of working on networked and *nix style systems. I still do that. I thought making it my signature would force me to remember, but no such luck.

• So I use UPB exclusively in my house. I also don't really care too much about media integration. Finding working x10 examples is pretty easy, except x10 itself is not pytomation has insteon support as well, although apparently not as mature as the UPB support. Honestly, after 3-4 years of messing around with Mr. house, and some other options - this is the only one I've managed to get up and running and talking with my UPB setup that will also run on my NAS (There are some windows based solutions…

• So I just added pytomation to my OMV instance. Pytomation is a nice, light weight linux based home automation interface. Over the weekend after clonezillaing my production nas, I was able to get it up and running fairly quickly - and quite nicely. You can find the write up at pytomations wiki on github github.com/zonyl/pytomation/wi…mply-Auomated-UPB-devices It's not integrated into OMV...yet With 0.5 I may try my hand at a quick and dirty plugin at least at the UI layer, as pytomations built in…

• Yeah, I know... I was thinking a lowest common denominator format if I go down that route. At least for me, anything that works for PS3 has worked for every other device capable of 1080p. I am hoping I can prove out what the n54l can do in terms of transcoding. It might be a bit unfair for other users, but I am tempted to say - this is as low power as I want to/can support for transcoding 1080p. Obviously other settings could come in line. Also while talking to a buddy, I am trying to get to swi…

• outside of this OpenMediaVault, I would strongly recommend UMS vs PS3MS. At least with the current state. However, I have had an issue with the very very latest UMS release, but going back a dot release (sorry don't have the numbers in front of me) cleared it up. It has to do with how ffmpeg is linked and so your mileage may vary on the lastest and greatest.

• I've continued my work and none of it is as easy as I had hoped. For a variety of reasons, I'm now limiting myself to three options 1) miniDLNA with transcoding - Biggest con, outside of the fact it's not mainlined, is management of client devices and appropriate settings. It's looking a lot uglier than I had thought 2) MediaTomb - actively playing with this now - biggest advantage - good device profiles available and to me seems like it would be simplest for non power users to be succesful with…

• I'm waiting for the weekend to find enough time, although i'm also looking at Mediatomb now due to some challenges - I've pretty well thrown out plex, xbmc and UMS/PS3MS as targets each for different reasons. If things go well, I can look into it - but i will admit, I'm not interested in forking miniDLNA and the transcode is already a patch. My goals are to string together those packages as a plugin for OMV, not develop them.

• Quote from "KM0201": “Quote from "akameswaran": “How many drives in the system? Are you setting up a dual boot? OMV recommends installing with only the system drive inserted.” AH.. Good catch.. I never thought he might be trying to dual boot OMV (which makes absolutely no sense in my opinion). Guess we'll have to wait on him to clarify.” I want to dual boot with OMV But just for testing purposes. However, we got our clarification anim8r: I've not had issues with installation, so I'm not sure whe…

• Sorry work took over my week. I did get an OMV VM setup to use as a build environment and will do my own experiments this weekend building on an omv install. I've also been looking at mediatomb - which I haven't used myself.

• How many drives in the system? Are you setting up a dual boot? OMV recommends installing with only the system drive inserted.

• There is no 6g speed available at all. The bios mod enables 3g speed on all ports. It also lets you make them hot swappable. And no HP has not made an official bios release since the n40l back in July of 2012 and the n54l ships with that same bios. It feels like a waste of the fancy new WD reds I bought, but considering I'm using it as a dedicated NAS and I'm able to saturate a gig link - not sure I really care. Other downsides - only two expansion slots and those are quite space constrained, an…

• Well even with only sata 3g and software raid, I can saturate my gig network on cifs for multiple clients while running torrents. My gig network is cat6e, done right. If you want to virtualbox/esxi it I would definitely get the n54l, but if your cpu needs are less - the n40l is identical except for processor, and probably available on deals - since the n54l came out. One other thing, if you need more than 8gb ram - it's not very straight forward. 8gb is max supported - many people have reported …

• take a look at /etc/hdparm.conf that should control the persistent settings running hdparm -S will let you make temporary changes, but I don't think those persist after reboot, but good for testing before committing to hdparm.conf

• $300.00 server vs $80.00 ilo card. I've got the n54l - which is identical except for the processor. Also there are very few slots, many folks add in HDMI and dedicated raid - and now you have no slots open. I'm not generally an HP fan, but the HPO ILO on the card is pretty good, but for me and my needs, not $80 good. I haven't used this exact card, but I'm quite familiar with HP ILO's and I've heard nothing bad about the ILO for the nXXl server's except for the cost. Right now I'm working on the…

• Yeah... I'm not liking java for OMV for many many reasons. I'm also looking into adding a virtual sound card, to see if I can just make plex work. Not good news on miniDLNA not compiling, but that's something I can work with. I am leaning towards miniDLNA myself at the moment - Lightweight, unencumbered, has existing plugin all make it attractive. Time to build a miniDLNA sandbox.

• No i know I'd need to patch up miniDLNA. I'm trying to pick a good target dlna server, not saying it's an issue with OMV at all. What I'm saying is if a soundcard is needed for transcoding for plex, it may not be the best target DLNA server. I would not expect an OMV server to have a sound card and if something doesn't work in VM's it makes testing and dev a nightmare for me. So I'm considering 3 targets right now... UMS/PMS, miniDLNA and Plex. They each have their plusses and minuses. Soundcard…

• Update: Have UPS (nut) plugin working and conducted a power loss test - no problems with CyberPower UPS

• Quote from "tekkbebe": “Oh, we have not got the bugs out of running plex in a vm. It is running great on bare metal installs but there is a memory leak issue on vms. Will let you know if I get a fix. This only when using the plex clients and transcoding. The dlna in vm has no issues.” The problem for plex seems beyond VM's. forums.plexapp.com/index.php/t…tual-machine-quick-setup/ The real problem seems to be a requirement for a sound card for transcoding to work. Now I have my setup on vm workst…

• Ok... I can do that Is the 0.4 api documented anywhere, I can only find the 0.5. Of course, if I don't integrate the plugin into the OMV webUI, I suspect api utilization would be pretty low, and I can probably just work out what I need to from the examples. Even barring any of that doc - I just want to know where to do plugin dev communications, is it PM's [joke]noted Votdev's signature[/joke] I'm sure I'll have questions and would rather funnel them through the appropriate folks. Of course, I s…