Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Help with Easy Backup solution

flmaxey - - General

Quote from raven66: “There a SyncThing plugin. Can it be used to make backups? ” It could, but Syncthing doesn't directly apply to this thread. SyncThing is geared toward sync'ing multiple devices (pc/phone/tablet) or multiple network locations with specified content. Servers, on the other hand, are designed for centralized storage which makes backing up the entire data store easier. Syncthing could be used to backup specified data, to an external host, but it's not well suited for the backup an…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “I am done here. No new plugin will be written and the rsnapshot won't be changed. So, everything should not explode. ” Yeah, I'm worn out too. I'll continue with the Rsync workaround, and come up with a better process, in the doc.

flmaxey - - General

Quote from henfri: “So, the CLI is the only problem about the restore? ” For beginners? Absolutely. While it might be hard to for you to imagine, we'll say you know nothing about backup strategy. But, you're told backup is a good idea and it's no big deal to do the backup itself - just install a plugin, make a few selections and it's done for you. The problem crops up when, as a beginner, you're not sure what went wrong but some of your data is corrupted or missing and you want to do a restore. …

flmaxey - - General

Quote from henfri: “What I will not is stop warning beginners about bad backup strategies though. Regards, Hendrik ” All things are relative - something is better than nothing and two full copies of data are, without doubt, better than one. Note that WHS has a similar server backup solution which is, essentially, "back up the server" - no versions. The backup generated by WHS is the state of the server from the last manually triggered backup. In any case, most of the dialog in this thread is abo…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from henfri: “I did not mean to offend you... ” Then maybe you might look back at your approach: In this thread, the title is Help with Easy Backup solution You suggested rsnapshot. Right at the beginning, porkenstien looked at rsnapshot and stated that it is not what he/she is looking for. I understand that point completely. For beginners - rsnapshot is half of a backup and restore solution, with no restoration option that's easy to understand or implement. Looking at it from that perspec…

• How big is the dev team?

flmaxey - - General

BTW: check your PM's - I wrote a short blurb on installing ZFS. (It got caught in the moderators queue.) While I think you'll do fine with the plugin install, and most default settings should work fine; the more important part of the post is setting a few pool parameters at the start, to insure that the ZFS pool handles Linux permissions correctly. ________________________________________________________________________________ I was going to mention iXsystems as yet another serious detractor, f…

• How big is the dev team?

flmaxey - - General

Quote from GreatBigGeek: “One item in their comparison is that they claim OMV is a single developer. I have to admit that is an issue for me in terms of using it. ” If it was true, why would that make a difference to you? I mean Microsoft has tons of programmers, yet they're routinely shown up by small firms, in terms of innovation. Their solution to that problem, innovation, is to buy the small firm which gets immediately folded into the larger firm and rapidly becomes mediocre. Bigger is not a…

• General Settings is more about logging intervals. I tend to go with much longer than standard intervals. SMART attribute updates are not critical - a longer update interval won't hurt anything. Similarly, unless the environment where they're installed is highly variable, temperature wise, setting alerts based on hard drive temperature (in home systems) seems a bit excessive as well. If you're not sure what to do here, the defaults work fine. Scheduled Tests is another one that I think tends to b…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “This is a pretty good article that they pretty much replicate rsnapshot with scripts and rsync. Maybe a whole new plugin using some of these ideas with a restore and remote capabilities since I think this can do a push to remote that rsnapshot can't do. ” After reading the article, it reminds me of the scripts zfs-auto-snapshot uses to create periodic snapshots. zfs-auto-snapshot is a pretty slick setup; scripts that use cron, auto naming-dating, and cleaning up snapshots…

• Quote from GreatBigGeek: “Is there an updated procedure somewhere in this 40 page thread for installing ZFS? If so, can someone save me the trouble of flipping through 40 pages? The original procedure as documented 3 years ago does not seem to apply to the most recent release. I go into the update management and don't see any "extras" thanks ” In basic terms, installing the ZFS plugin will give you "ZFS". (And the installation may take awhile.) After that, it's a matter of having wiped drives av…

• When I've run into "Could not get a lock", a reboot cleared the issue. There may be other ways to do it.

• Reinstall of OMV due to a dead drive

flmaxey - - General

A clicking drive is most likely a completely dead drive. In that's the case, to get data from it, you might be looking at forensic recovery that's beyond a home user's capability and way too expensive to farm out to a recovery firm. @DHGE is on the mark regarding Windows 10 - it can't "see" Linux file formats - and with trying to use a recovery CD. (There are plenty out there and it won't hurt to try.) Where OMV is concerned: If you physically remove the dead/dying drive, OMV might boot but with…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from flmaxey: “Rsync could be used in combination with Remote Mount, ” I don't want to have to use remotemount. The plugin would either use rsync or rsync+ssh. ” You are way more qualified than I am to chose the right approach. (Not to mention being the Dev that codes it. ) But I believe the net concept as I understand what you're purposing, push/pull remote sync capability, is roughly the same.

• Quote from NASNoob1: “Read this: jodybruchon.com/2017/03/07/zfs…about-bit-rot-and-raid-5/ ” As is the case with many articles out there, the above is just an opinion piece written by someone with a reasonable grasp of English, but a lack of decor. (It's a shame when someone tries to emphasize points, using crass language, achieving the exact opposite effect.) In this article, there's no verifiable data present and no peer reviewed white papers referenced. It's simply a compilation of "like minde…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “This is a pretty good article that they pretty much replicate rsnapshot with scripts and rsync. Maybe a whole new plugin using some of these ideas with a restore and remote capabilities since I think this can do a push to remote that rsnapshot can't do. ” I'll have to read up on this more closely when I get back this coming weekend but,,, that would be so freaking cool! I'm guessing your thinking about remote drive sync and restoration, in a plugin!.... And it didn't occu…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from flmaxey: “It would be great to be able to pick a source drive and a destination drive, a schedule, and it's done. Simple. Restore could be a button, with a "are you sure" caution popup, that restores to a new drive (raid pair, etc.) with the same label or maybe another drive that's wiped and mounted. ” So, you want something that effectively clones one drive to another drive? Not just an rsync? ie creates the partition table and filesystem then rsyncs the data.…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from macom: “Quote from flmaxey: “rsnapshot sync's shared folders - not entire drives ” you can use rsnapshot on /sharedfolders on OMV4 which basically backups all the user data ” I thought of using the same concept when I set up OMV for the first time, put everything in sub-dir's under a root shared folder. But it introduces permissions issues and data segregation problems that might not be desirable as new users gain experience. And there's still the selection of the appropriate rsnapsho…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from flmaxey: “rsnapshot sync's shared folders - not entire drives ” When used from the plugin, this is true. But, it is the same for rsync. You are getting around that by using scheduled jobs. It is possible to do that with rsnapshot as well. ” Since it can be constructed without leaving the GUI, I thought of the drive-to-drive work around, using Scheduled Tasks, would be useful for beginners. I'll have to look into doing the same with rsnapshot but, looking at the…

flmaxey - - General

First, let's keep in mind that this thread is about a "simple" full drive backup. While not mentioned, but just as important, a simple restoration process is implied. _________________________________________________ Yesterday, I loaded up rsnapshot, just to see how it works. Unless I got it completely wrong, rsnapshot sync's shared folders - not entire drives. With that noted; for myself and the wife, there are 10 each shared folders supporting our network shares. That might be more than the av…

• Quote from hoppel118: “Is here anybody using kernel 4.17 in combination with zfs? Any problems? ” I'm somewhat surprised to find; with OMV4 - Kernel 4.17 and the ZFS 4.0.4 plugin, that a ZFS mirror is running well on an Atom D525 processor with 4GB RAM. That's certainly not fast hardware. I still have a bit of testing to do, but it looks pretty good so far.