Search Results

Search results 1-19 of 19.

• Sharing folders/files over internet

Mr.Grape - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “And I'm not really convinced if smb / nfs pushed over the internet is the best idea ” SMB and NFS performance 'over the internet' is horribly low due to high round-trip times. But it's still the very same problem: setup fileserver to be accessed via internet - NFS? TL;DR: When you access your data with different filesharing daemons in parallel you have a great chance to mess two things up: - Encodings (ever dealt with UTF-8 vs. UTF-16 vs. some stupid an…

Mr.Grape - - General

Quote from Frepke: “Thanks @TheLostSwede, @tkaiser and @Mr.Grape, VPN access it's gonna be. And running Docker was just info for when this info was useful kr., Patrick ” VPN here will only do one layer. You still need another layer to share files. And I'm not really convinced if smb / nfs pushed over the internet is the best idea. The second issue is also what kind of vpn it is. Private, commercial with its own IP, free / commercial with one IP per exit node on many users. If this is a shared IP…

Mr.Grape - - General

Quote from Frepke: “Hello, I've OMV4 running on a HC1 (docker installed) which is connected to internet over a VPN tunnel (running on my router). Now I like to share some files with a friend, is there a safe easy way to accomplish that? kr., Patrick Maybe I didn't search well, but I couldn't find the answer on the forum ” Perhaps an old school ftp or sftp. They always do the job for me. Does docker matter?

• My new little thing

Mr.Grape - - My NAS Build

After many years of using the Dell GX 260 (P4 2Ghz, 512MB) with a 1TB disk connected by usb 2.0 under the control of nas4free time to change. ODROID-HC1 with 5V / 4A power supply. Boot from the Sandisk 16GB card which apparently is A1 according to the manufacturer. Samsung SpinPoint M8 1TB / 5400rpm disk connected directly to the sata port. And all under control of OMV 4.1.9 with Kernel 4.14.55. In addition, a transparent casing and foam feet to increase the distance from the ground for better a…

• New SSD

Mr.Grape - - General

Quote from MvL: “Hi, I have nicely running Openmediavault, and I'm very pleased. I now want to move this install to a new SSD before I move this server to a DC. What is the best way to do this? Has Openmediavault some tools I'm not aware of? ” If I were in your place, I would do it like this: 0. Do not make copies on a running system. 1. Turn off the hardware. 2. Disconnect the disk. 3. Connect the drive to a separate machine. 4. Using Acronis True Image, create a copy of the disk, sector by sec…

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

Mr.Grape - - Announcements

Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “Is HC1 exactly the same as HC2? ” Nope, since 3.5" HDDs need 5V and 12V at the same time HC2 wants to be fed with 12V while HC1 unfortunately wants 5V (that's why underpowering hassles are possible with HC1). On HC2 there's therefore some DC-DC circuitry to generate the 5V from 12V which generates slightly more heat (so it's ok that thermal readouts of both boards differ slightly at same load -- the DC-DC circuitry sits next to the SoC and dissipates he…

Quote from tkaiser: “ Quote from chatzakis: “If I get the HC2 with the 3.5" support will it work straight away if I plug in the microSD from the HC1??? ” The OS will work out of the box but if you didn't assign a static IP address then a DHCP assigned address will change (due to different MAC address). Your shares have to be redefined since the mountpoint of the disk will change too (check current mountpoint below /srv/ and see how 'internal' and 'external' differ) ” From pure curiosity. Is HC1 …

Quote from chatzakis: “Hi to all. I bought a couple of months ago an HC1 and have been running it on OMV on a microSD card. It's been working perfectly so far but as the 2.5" is rather small I have been having storage problems and decided to connect a USB 1TB drive. I'm mostly using it with transmission so the need for more space is increasing. I tried transferring files from the transmission folder to the external usb drive accessing everything from my win10 laptop where it shows as a network d…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “102400 16384 37278 64468 106207 111845 ” Also just 37 MB/s in the beginning. Debug output looks ok so you might try to execute Source Code (1 line)and re-test (both iozone and via Samba) ” Still the same SMB, FTP. Unfortunately. random random bkwd record stride kB reclen write rewrite read reread read write read rewrite read fwrite frewrite fread freread 102400 16384 68985 88183 89060 95193 random random bkwd record stride kB reclen write rewrite read r…

• Quote from peterparker: “Hi Mr. Grape, Quote from Mr.Grape: “So Odroid HC1 is online and ... just a few details. 1. The upload is ok, some 100MB/s, but the download oscillates around 37MB/s. Any ideas where to look? SMB like FTP the same. 2. The disk is being aggressively stopped. Too fast for my taste. Just a few moments of inactivity are enough and the plates are stopped. Changing the options to 254 and say 60 minutes gives nothing. 3. Kernel 4.9.103 is the norm or did I miss something? ” 1.) …

• So Odroid HC1 is online and ... just a few details. 1. The upload is ok, some 100MB/s, but the download oscillates around 37MB/s. Any ideas where to look? SMB like FTP the same. 2. The disk is being aggressively stopped. Too fast for my taste. Just a few moments of inactivity are enough and the plates are stopped. Changing the options to 254 and say 60 minutes gives nothing. 3. Kernel 4.9.103 is the norm or did I miss something?

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “And what about the 32bit CPU in 2018-20xx will not be a problem? Less and less software for 32bit ” Nope. 32-bit vs. 64-bit on ARM is something entirely different compared to the x86 world. With the 'NAS use case' in mind there's only one advantage wrt 64-bit CPUs: AES crypto stuff if the SoC in question supports 'ARMv8 Crypto Extensions' (almost all do except Raspberry Pi) Some more information here: github.com/ThomasKaiser/sbc-bench/blob/master/Result…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “what do you think about Odroid HC1 or something else at this price? ” Nice device. If you order from Korea you need to keep in mind that Hardkernel declares real values (unlike some of those sending from China. They often declare value below 20 bucks so at least in EU you'll neither pay customs nor taxes). ” And what about the 32bit CPU in 2018-20xx will not be a problem? Less and less software for 32bit.

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “So ROCKPro64 instead of Odroid-HC1? ” While I really like the chassis on an HC1, if you can afford a rockpro64, I would say get one. ” RP64 is "Out of stock". Either I have to wait or go with HC1 ...

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “ROCKPro64 2GB is $59.99 and now I have to add vat/customs and shipping. Because I do not have it locally. And we are talking here all the time just about the naked sbc. The average Joe in the house must count the rest of the things when he builds NAS. The point of view depends on the point of standing. For someone, something is cheap and expensive for someone else. ” I figured since you were contemplating an odroid hc-1 at $50, that the rockpro64 at …

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “RK3399, you say, nice. This is quite a "luxury" area when it comes to price. In case we talk about ordinary Joe at home. ” A rockpro 64 with 2gb of ram is only $60. ” It seemed to me that it costs more. Well... It probably depends on who uses sbc and what it considers cheap and what is expensive. For example, buying locally I have to pay $65 for PineA64+ 2GB where the price on their site is just $29. ROCKPro64 2GB is $59.99 and now I have to add vat/…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “I wanted to focus on those sbc which are officially supported by OMV to avoid future problems ” None of those boards is 'officially' supported and the most important stuff happens at lower layers (Armbian) anyway. It's just that we created OMV images in an automated fashion for some popular boards so users can save the hassles and time to install OMV in a second step (since this is rather time consuming with slow SD cards). But even if there is no image…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Mr.Grape: “Not too expensive? ” Don't think so (since customs/VAT seem to be already included). If you fear 512MB would be too low and get NanoPi's at a local shop maybe choosing one of the larger models to be combined with a JMS578 equipped USB enclosure is a better idea? RPi 3 B+ is a pretty bad choice due to USB contention issues, Gigabit Ethernet problems (you need a switch with flow-control active otherwise performance totally sucks) and with a recent 'firmwa…

• Hello, Kind People. Maybe someone will be able to advise something. I am planning to replace the old NAS, Dell gx260 / P4 2Ghz, 512MB Ram, 1TB 2.5 usb HDD, Nas4Free on usb pen. I will add that my NAS connected to 1Gb LAN with USB2.0 - 5200rpm HDD and the old version of nas4free gets FTP 17MB/s download and 10MB/s upload. No revelation... I thought about SBC. Something that will be passive, cool and energy efficient and will have enough power to be used in 2018-20xx. I need equipment that can han…