Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sharing folders/files over internet

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “sometimes I use AFP ” Good luck. macOS uses UTF-8 decomposed while the rest of the world followed Windows who use UTF-8 precomposed. Using anachronistic/ancient protocols that do not take care about server and client encodings (like FTP/FTPS or SFTP or NFS prior to v4) you'll automagically run into an encoding mess or try to use filename conventions from 50 years ago (plain ASCII, avoiding special characters and umlauts and stuff)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “I believe SFTP is safe for the transfered files, but I want protect my nas to be accessible for everyone on the internet ” SFTP is basically SSH. So following 'best practices' for SSH you'll achieve the same for SFTP (e.g. binding sshd to a non standard port or using public key authentication).

• Call for testers: OMV4 for ARM boards

tkaiser - - General

@ryecoaaron: We need to exchange OMV_4_Espressobin.img.xz at sourceforge.net/projects/openm…ngle%20Board%20Computers/ I played again with my EspressoBin after some time and due to restrictions of the boot script (u-boot on this board lives in the small SPI NOR flash on the PCB so is not read from SD card) using a btrfs rootfs is not possible (boot script expects a single large ext4 partition and not small ext4 /boot + larger 2nd btrfs partition). Here's the new and tested image: kaiser-edv.de/tm…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “@tkaiser normally I use FTP for transferring data to the NAS ” Ok, then please forget about me mentioning Samba. Disclaimer: I'm a network and server guy and for me only protocols are an option where clients can directly open stuff on the server (requires locking) so no FTP used anywhere. If you use FTP then anything I wrote is irrelevant (since this protocol from IT stone age doesn't care about anything that has happened within the last decades)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from raven66: “it's easiest to just create different account for second/third/n person, send them .ovpn config and allow them to connect to your local network. ” And the most important detail is how to setup OpenVPN so that performance doesn't suck too much when used with LAN protocols: setup fileserver to be accessed via internet - NFS?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Mr.Grape: “And I'm not really convinced if smb / nfs pushed over the internet is the best idea ” SMB and NFS performance 'over the internet' is horribly low due to high round-trip times. But it's still the very same problem: setup fileserver to be accessed via internet - NFS? TL;DR: When you access your data with different filesharing daemons in parallel you have a great chance to mess two things up: - Encodings (ever dealt with UTF-8 vs. UTF-16 vs. some stupid ancient 'codepage' idea…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “Now I like to share some files with a friend, is there a safe easy way to accomplish that? ” I would allow access through VPN and use exactly the same filesharing daemon you already use. If it's Samba then use Samba for remote connections too (reason: encoding hassles and representation of filesystem metadata). More info: forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/19270

• Quote from Antinomy: “could you give an input about a wireless energy efficient storage platform to choose? ” Nope. No experiences whatsoever since wireless performance depends on so many factors and I never did any consumption measurements so far in this area. But 'performance' means 'the more antennas the better' (increases consumption) and modern standards that make use of 5GHz band. So you need at least 2x2 MIMO and 802.11n or 802.11ac on both 'server' and 'client'. I would most probably sta…

• Which hard drive?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from NASNoob1: “I would buy Seagate too but everyone says they fail ” If spinning rust we only use Seagate. Usually SAS drives but on cold storage also SATA Exos E formerly known as 'Enterprise Capacity'.

• HDD for NAS: which one to buy

tkaiser - - General

No need to open up a new thread since all opinions are already shared: Which hard drive? I prefer warranty over statistics (since the latter is irrelevant for my disks since I don't buy tens of thousands but just a few per year)

• Quote from TOMillr: “As a NAS both should offer enough power, right? ” For the NAS use case they're both way too powerful Seriously: You get same NAS performance and the bottleneck will always be the HDD used -- something to keep in mind when using 2.5" HDD that are not entirely empty. HDDs use ZBR and once they fill up transfer speeds will slow down below the Gigabit Ethernet network bottleneck) If it's about transcoding usually ARM SoCs are too slow to let this happen on the CPU cores. But the…

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

Quote from Mr.Grape: “Is HC1 exactly the same as HC2? ” Nope, since 3.5" HDDs need 5V and 12V at the same time HC2 wants to be fed with 12V while HC1 unfortunately wants 5V (that's why underpowering hassles are possible with HC1). On HC2 there's therefore some DC-DC circuitry to generate the 5V from 12V which generates slightly more heat (so it's ok that thermal readouts of both boards differ slightly at same load -- the DC-DC circuitry sits next to the SoC and dissipates heat into the PCB)

• OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

tkaiser - - Announcements

Quote from chatzakis: “Apparently it transfers everything through the laptop and back to the external drive which is extremely slow and takes forever... ” The external disk uses USB2 which limits transfer speeds to below 37 MB/s, your internal disk is a 2.5" one so bottlenecked to ~80-90MB/s over the entire surface, the network is bottlenecked to ~70-100MB/s based on how large the files are. If you copy through network the most relevant bottleneck is still USB2 for the external disk and this wil…

• OMV not accessible after a few days

tkaiser - - General

Hmm... no idea. Could be related to undervoltage (PSUs getting older) and without a serial console it's close to impossible to really get a clue what's going on. AFAIK on the XU4 you can not use those cheap $1 USB serial dongles from Aliexpress or eBay but need the official one from Hardkernel (due to different voltage levels -- but I might be wrong so better check Hardkernel's wiki for information)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “RPi-Monitor was installed ” Well, you could now have a look whether there's high load on the system prior to it not being available any more. RPi-Monitor logs load and temperatures so it should give a clue whether a crash/freeze is related to high activity or to something else. But looking into logs especially /var/log/syslog (or providing them via pastebin.com) might be more interesting.

• Quote from jojos38: “I have same error and same problems with bluetooth etc... ” Which 'problems with bluetooth'?! OMV doesn't make use of BT, there's a service enabled by accident that throws a warning and people start to panic? The 'problem with bluetooth' might be gone once you execute Source Code (1 line)

• Call for testers: OMV4 for ARM boards

tkaiser - - General

Quote from nguyenhoangonline: “Could you please create image file for Orange Pi Prime? ” Nope, please choose variant 2) from here: OMV4 on ARM boards (kind of a how-to)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Frepke: “armbianmonitor -r doesn't do anything ” Well, then if you want RPi-Monitor you need to follow the manual installation instructions you'll find on the net.

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Small cores are almost always unused, normal is it? ” Sure. And if data is received ('upload' as you call it) then Ethernet (USB in fact) IRQs have to be processed in addition to application CPU usage.

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “102400 16384 37278 64468 106207 111845 ” Also just 37 MB/s in the beginning. Debug output looks ok so you might try to execute Source Code (1 line)and re-test (both iozone and via Samba)