Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 76.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Best silent micro ATX case?

TheLostSwede - - My NAS Build

The N300 is ATX size. Not much out there in terms of what you're looking for, as very few case makers make storage focused cases. How about this one from Lian-Li? lian-li.com/pc-m25/

• Sharing folders/files over internet

TheLostSwede - - General

The easiest way I can think of is to make a user account for him/her and then give him access via your VPN. Another potential option would be to use Emby, as that can be accessed via your external IP address, but it would require that you get the paid for version to allow files to be downloaded. It might not run all that well on your hardware in docker though.

• Isn't this a question you should be asking Samsung? A DLNA server simply allows the content to be seen by a DLNA compliant player, so if there is no support in the player, then it won't work.

• Ok, I might have an idea here. You got 3D TLC based SSDs here and they have a certain amount of "SLC" cache. Once you exceed that cache, performance drops off a cliff. The graph below is of the 850 EVO, but the concept is the same. forum.openmediavault.org/index…2104663a2687da293dc2efa6cSource: anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/2 This is a problem with most consumer SSDs today, although as you can see, it affects smaller drives worse than larger drives, as they have a smaller SL…

• Well, it all depends on your network/router configuration. Some routers have a separate guest network that doesn't give users on the guest network any access to the local network, only the internet. Other routers are less secure and allow users on the guest network to see the local network. That said, as long as you have configured OMV properly and have no open shares (i.e. all shares requires a login), you have a second layer of security here. Also, why would you allow someone onto your guest n…

• eSATA support

TheLostSwede - - General

It actually looks like you got hold of an eSATAp cable, not an eSATA cable. What you need is something like this. forum.openmediavault.org/index…2104663a2687da293dc2efa6c

• Need advice: OMV in a VM?

TheLostSwede - - General

Quote from nettozzie: “Quote from TheLostSwede: “Why not simply run OMV in a VM on Windows? ” Because I hate Window's policy of rebooting for updates without my permission. This is not an option for a NAS that needs to be up all the time. Also the Windows PC will be used by my family, If they screw something up I'd like to just put another VM in place to replace it. ” You're better off building two systems, as I'm sorry to say that Windows won't work well as a VM. It won't have direct access to …

• Need advice: OMV in a VM?

TheLostSwede - - General

Why not simply run OMV in a VM on Windows? It seems like you're being a bit too complicated and you lose a lot of functionality running Windows in a VM, unlike Linux which is quite happy to run in a VM, especially for something like OMV. That said, there are some drawbacks, like disk access and access to network interfaces and ports by running OMV in a VM. Yes, it's possible to have direct access to ports these days, but then that port tends to be unavailable for use with anything else. This is …

• eSATA support

TheLostSwede - - General

Did you connect power to the drive? There's no power over eSATA/SATA cables. Also, did you configure your BIOS/UEFI correctly? You need to enable support for hot swappable drives to the eSATA port or the system won't detect the drive being plugged in/removed. OMV is not an OS, so the question is, does Debian support eSATA and the answer is yes. You might have to mount the drive though, at least the first time. Not sure how auto mounting of eSATA works with Linux.

• No Web/SSH Access

TheLostSwede - - General

Can you ping your OMV box from your PC? If you can't ping it, you most likely have a network issue somewhere. Either you got some network configuration issue on the OMV box, or your router/DNS server somehow. OMV-firstaid allows you to potentially change some faulty settings. I mean, it's hard to even guess what's gone wrong.

• No Web/SSH Access

TheLostSwede - - General

How about omv-firstaid? omv-firstaid Usage

• Quote from markmarz: “Thanks for your reply! So as long as the client has the generated client configuration, then it can connect to my NUC from anywhere? Wow, I had no idea! This brings up more questions but I'll dig around on my own before asking. ” I'm not running OpenVPN on my OMV machine, but rather on my router, so yes, as long as I have the client file for OpenVPN installed on my phone or PC, I can access my home network from anywhere that I can connect to the internet. Obviously if you'r…

• Easy way, set up a VPN server on your router, assuming it supports it. OMV has a plug-in that allows you to set up a OpenVPN server as well, but I haven't tried it. The RPi is way too under powered to run a decent VPN, whereas routers that support VPN server tends to have hardware encryption offloading at a very minimum. You might be able to get a single connection using it, but I doubt it'll do much more and the speed will be very slow. Your NUC has a lot more processing power and would be a be…

• Where is deluge in omv extras 4.0

TheLostSwede - - Plugins

There isn't one, you have to use the docker.

• Any specs you have in mind? and mini ITX boards are 140x140... I have a Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WiFi that works well with Debian/OMV, but as I don't know what kind of hardware you're looking for, it's hard to recommend something.

• This is actually typical behaviour in most NAS operating systems. Is it logical to most people? Maybe not. However, you have to think of each of the Services as just that, services. The enable user home directories option under SMB simply enables SAMBA to access the home directories that you set up in the access right management. Access right management is where you enable the actual share on the drive(s) and select where the home directory should be. The same will apply to other services, like …

• Someone else was having problems with Ryzen as well. I'm afraid I haven't tried on my Ryzen rig, as it's my main desktop system. The installation is quite slow and also depends on your internet connection, as I'm guessing around half of what you're installing is being downloaded. Also, what's the drive you're installing to? If it's a slow USB drive, then it's going to be limited to the write speed of that drive. I'm afraid I have no idea about the error message, I'd suggest you start a new threa…

• Cant select Network driver

TheLostSwede - - General

Quote from fuzzi74: “Hello, I have the same problem. I am building a new Home server and bought a ASRock H370 Pro 4 Board with a Intel I219V Network chipset. OMV 4.1.3 can´t find the driver for it. I do not have an old network card. Maybe someone has the compiled driver for installing from a USB drive. Thanks ” Same as on my Gigabyte board, worked out of the box. Try updating the UEFI/BIOS on the motherboard to see if it helps. That one should just work I'm afraid, it's a three year old network …

• Is there a reason as to why you can't install it over the network? I hope you understand that even if you use a USB drive to start the installation, it's not the full software on there and depending on the configuration choices you do during the setup, a lot of additional stuff will be downloaded. Then once the base install is done, you'll most likely download quite a bit of extra stuff as well, since the base version doesn't include things like media servers etc.

• Think of OMV as a program that runs on top of Debian, so if Debian works, there's nothing else you have to to do make OMV work. There's as such, nothing to change from the guide you linked to. You might have issues booting your system without a graphics card though, as a lot of PC motherboards won't boot without a graphics card.