Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quote from tobefond: “m2.SATA ” There is no SATA with RK3399. The image has been created the Armbian way (fully automated -- we don't fiddle around with images manually, they're all created 100% from scratch and then tested afterwards) and will work when running from SD card or eMMC (when you burn it directly to eMMC using the FriendlyELEC method and in my tests also when using nand-sata-install). I also tried booting from SD card with rootfs on NVMe (works), booting from eMMC with rootfs also o…

• Enough of Rpi, now what?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Mr.Grape: “Something like that? ” Yep. But I also lost interest soon since the SATA PM experiment (SATA port multiplier behind an USB-to-SATA bridge) seemed to be a silly idea compared to doing the same with my EspressoBin (which can even boot from a SATA HDD/SSD attached to a PM). But yes, with such a cable and 'creative' powering HC1 and a 3.5" HDD aren't a problem. But since I dealt way too often with SATA cabling and powering problems avoiding such a setup and going for a HC2 inst…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Mr.Grape: “I assume that HC1 would be able to handle 3.5 if it is done by a guerrilla method using only data sata cable and a separate power supply ” The problem then is cabling since HC1/HC2 use a combined SATA data/power receptacle and at least I had a hard time finding an appropriate cable for this that separates data from power (I wanted to test cheap SATA port multipliers with my HC1 back then but did not succeed finding a cable)

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from lucamoiana: “Are we talking about these boards? ” See the links @Mr.Grape posted (and keep in mind what @Adoby wrote wrt customs/VAT -- maybe you're also lucky) In the past you could order ODROID hardware pretty cheap from pollin.de (but due to some legislative hassles they do not ship to other EU countries any more) and with FriendlyELEC the best option was always to order directly from them. If shipping costs seem too high simply write them an email and ask for a better quote. For t…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Mr.Grape: “You can aim at Odroid HC1. I have it done with 2.5 hdd and it works well. Or HC2 if you want to be free in the future for 3.5 ” BTW: I totally second that idea to spend the additional few bucks and take a HC2 even if it's now only about 2.5" disks. In 2 years most probably 10-12 TB 3.5" disks will have the best cost/capacity ratio and then being able to simply replace a small 2.5" with a large 3.5" (to backup all devices around for example) is something worth a thought. Onl…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from lucamoiana: “raid ” I don't need RAID at home. RAID is ONLY about availability (and with RAID5 or 6 also somewhat about data integrity). At home I'm only interested in data integrity (I hate silent data corruption since that's something you always realize way too late) and of course I'm interested in data protection. RAID provides 'business continuity' in some rare cases I really don't need. The important data here is on my laptop and an archive server (business requirement -- does no…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from lucamoiana: “I was curious to use Odroid but I dunno if it can handle external USB disks ” HC1 and HC2 have one USB2 port left. While you might connect an external USB hub to it I wouldn't recommend this in general for various reasons. For me physically separating backups from original data is always a must. That's why I love SBC for this use case since they're that inexpensive and energy efficient that you can put another one in another room or even another location next to you (then…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from lucamoiana: “recently my Rpi3 keeps loosing the attached USB disks ” Just a quick list why any RPi is such a lousy device for the NAS use case: forum.armbian.com/topic/8213-h…findComment&comment=61991 With most recent RPi 3 B+ RPi Trading folks managed to make things even worse since they chose a poorly performing USB Ethernet chip which not only shows horribly low performance but simply refuses to work with Fast Ethernet cables connected to GbE gear (that's why we in OMV had to confi…

• Quote from tobefond: “Friendlyarm likes to flash the system straight onto the eMMC ” You should become familiar with their way to flash eMMC anyway since eMMC on NanoPC-T4 can not be removed and boot priority for eMMC is always higher than SD card (unfortunately). I bricked my NanoPC-T4 recently while developing/testing nand-sata-install and now have a bootloader on the eMMC that doesn't find the rootfs or kernel (don't know -- still too lazy to connect a serial console). Anyway: as soon as the …

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Uploading now ” OMV_4_NanoPi_M4.img.xz still missing?

• Quote from integros: “/var/log/openmediavault-sftp.log ” What's happening when you do Source Code (1 line)

• RPi green light and freezing

tkaiser - - General

Quote from DADi590: “So if it really is a voltage drop, is there anything I can do to prevent it? ” If it is voltage drop then this is a HARDWARE problem. Then you need to improve powering of the board. Anyway without seeing logs this is all just a waste of time and the RPi hardware is too crappy to spend any time on this... literally any other ARM board is better suited for the job than a Raspberry Pi.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from DADi590: “Do you know if changing it to another with more amps will do anything or will it remain freezing? ” More amps do not help at all. The DC-DC design of those Raspberries is too crippled to get any reasonable amount of current into those things without the voltage dropping too much. Usually the voltage drop is the problem and not 'insufficient amps'. You still need to monitor for undervoltage occurences. If you are somewhat familiar with a Linux commandline this can be done on …

• Rsync error on external usb disk

tkaiser - - RSync

Quote from geaves: “another option might be to see if there is a firmware update for the specific hard drive ” Seagate is well aware of the problem but since it only seems to affect Linux they don't care. They use an ASM1153 in their USB3 disk enclosures. This bridge chip works fine with standard ASMedia firmware but Seagate somehow managed to screw things up. UAS or not makes a huge difference with SSDs (higher random IO performance with UAS and always less CPU utilization) but with HDDs it doe…

tkaiser - - RSync

Quote from kuks: “options usb-storage quirks=0bc2:2312 ” There the ':u' is missing. It need to read Source Code (1 line)Quote from kuks: “I guess that the best solution is to change the external disk and to buy a not-Seagate one, isn't it?? ” Nope, you just need to UAS blacklist this model (unfortunately all those Seagate USB3 disks ship with the same broken firmware but each of them uses a different product ID so you can't generically blacklist them). Alternative: starting with kernel 4.15 the …

• Very low budget file server

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Mr.Grape: “Sbc have their limitations. It would be useful to get something on the market at a low price with the option 4/6/8 sata ports. These ARM toys generally become unattractive when someone needs more than one HDD ” You can add 8 SATA ports to ARM thingies, it just doesn't make that much sense since as soon as you want to connect a lot of spinning rust you need a large enough enclosure with appropriate cooling and an oversized PSUs since people use cheap HDD that do not support …

tkaiser - - RSync

Ok, then running out of ideas. I dealt with UAS blacklisting (for Seagate and WD drives and a broken Norelsys USB-to-SATA bridge) last year and obviously have forgotten most things. In Armbian (on ARM hardware) we do it via kernel cmdline. We have a simple boot config file and a startup service that automagically UAS blacklists every Seagate USB3 HDD when found to be attached to the host. Looks like this here (sorry, I only use Seagate 'internal' SATA/SAS disks but would never buy any of their U…

• Quote from iNTiGOD: “Is there any website that would compare the cpu of the N40L (AMD Turion II Neo N40L 1.5GHz) with the helios4? ” In my opinion the 7-zip benchmark mode more or less realistically describes 'CPU power for server loads'. Numbers are available: - s1.hoffart.de/7zip-bench/ - github.com/ThomasKaiser/sbc-bench/blob/master/Results.md

tkaiser - - General

Quote from DADi590: “Can someone tell me what might be the problem with the RPi? ” The problem is called 'crappy hardware'. The RPi folks chose to implement the most unreliable powering method: 5V via MicroUSB which often results in brownouts with 'average' MicroUSB gear when consumption increases. Since this problem is so common and normal RPi users not aware of (and RPi folks tried to hide this problem for years) we do some logging: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images But this requires us…

• Quote from henfri: “Is there a reason why the monitor script cannot be ported to x86? ” There's nothing to port since it works there too. But the real monitoring is done in the background by a dedicated service we wrote and this would need to be maintained. In Armbian it's part of the 'distro' while on x86 there's nothing. And I don't see the point to support x86 since all those low-end x86 OMV installations perform lower than the good ARM thingies. And at the same time x86 wastes way more energ…