Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 53.

• Quote from nicjo814: “@milfaddict A bit late but I might have an idea regarding your issue. I haven't read all posts so this could already have been discussed. By default ZFS On Linux (ZoL), which is the ZFS implementation used on Debian imports pools with "by-dev" policy (/dev/sdX), which could be bad if your /dev/sdX assignments change on reboot, which I've understood could happen on some systems. To fix this you should edit the file /etc/default/zfs and set ZPOOL_IMPORT_PATH="/dev/disk/by-id"…

• Quote from subzero79: “Shouldn't you already switched to another platform that works for you.Also have you tried to just create the array in commmand line instead of the plugin? ” I was going to just use FreeNAS but my old Marvell based HBA's was preventing me from doing so. I just got new LSI HBA's and flashed them. I thought my old HBA's might have been the cause of my problems with OMV so I went back to OMV (I have separate drives for OMV and FreeNAS) to try and see if switching out my HBA's …

• So after all this time and after spending $600 on new LSI HBA's, I am still getting all the same errors I was getting before. I create my ZFS pool successfully, expand it and get errors, reboot and see that the second vdev only has 11 drives instead of 12 and the pool is degraded. Have you made any progress into fixing the horribly broken ZFS plugin yet? FreeNAS doesn't make you install a plugin to install another plugin just to use ZFS, just sayin'... maybe OMV core should include ZFS support l…

• So I have been trying other options like FreeNAS but FreeNAS and BSD does not support my Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 HBA's because there is no driver for Marvell controllers. Could this be the reason I am having problems with ZFS and getting SMART to work? From what I have read, there is a Linux driver for Marvell controllers and OMV is based on Debian Linux even though it is a fork of FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD for which there is apparently no Marvell driver. If my HBA's are the problem, wo…

• Quote from cabrio_leo: “@milfaddict: Did you made another try with less disks for a vdev, as I had suggested it in post #641? I have tried to explain why this could be helpful to narrow the cause. If I had such a lot of disks I would test it personally. Unfortunately I have not. ” So I deleted the pool and made a new Z1 pool and then tried expanding it with another Z1 vdev. I got the same errors as before. So I rebooted, deleted the pool and tried again, this time I used the first three drives i…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Fixes for what? Logging the commands is a feature. ” That was a different person who asked for that feature. I am talking about the errors I have already reported on page 32.

• It has been a week now, any info on fixes for the ZFS plugin?

• Quote from corzocone: “I recently had a similar issue. If you know how, ssh in to the machine (I use putty for this). I used the command omv-update and it fixed itself. Hopefully it works for you as well. ” I got it fixed. When I rebooted the machine, I was able to get back in.

• Pool details part 2. Source Code (103 lines)

• Alright So when I started OMV, my ZFS pool had disappeared and I had to import it, not a huge deal but that does make me nervous. Before I installed the updated plugin, I decided to delete the old zpool. When I tried, I got this error. i.imgur.com/x0SUaVRr.png So I went ahead and installed the updated plugin. Everything went fine. When I went back into ZFS, there was no pool showing. So I tried to import it again and got this error. i.imgur.com/mKfpUY5r.png I am guessing the pool actually got de…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Anyone want to try my fixes to expand and to not show used drives? omv-extras.org/testing2/openmediavault-zfs_3.0.19_amd64.deb ” I will try it. There is nothing on my array and I made a clone of the system before hand.

• Can I install OpenAttic alongside OMV? That won't mess anything up will it? My goal is to use OpenAttic or FreeNAS v9.2 to create the pool and then use OMV to import the pool.

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “OMV is good for a lot of people. I still don't understand why you need a 36 drive zfs array especially considering you say you have no linux experience?? And yes, I have had 20+ drives running on OMV without zfs. ” Because that is how many drives my servers hold and I don't want to have to add drives later and then have data unevenly spread across the pool. Also, I don't want to go and expand my array later with many TB on it only to have problems like this come up. There…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “I guess this is just another reason why I shouldn't be working on this plugin. I know the first two points are right but this lowers my interest in fixing this. I need to talk to a long time Solaris admin why zfs is weird this way. ” Well I hope some fixes this or I am going to have to say screw it and go try FreeNAS, OpenFiler, ZFSguru or Open Attic. I had such high hopes for Open Media Vault but these issue are making the experience a pain and is lowering my trust in OM…

• Quote from wolffstarr: “Yes, that is how you would create that, and yes, it is confusing to say the least when you're looking for multiple-vdev setups. If I could code worth a damn I'd have already started fixing it, but I badly flubbed a simple one line edit, so yeah. ” Well I wish someone would. I have been having nothing but problems since I started using OMV. So When I created the pool with the first 12 drives, everything seemed to work just fine. Then when I went to expand the pool with 12 …

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “You are the first I have seen that has described the plugin that way. Most OMV users are looking for drive pooling with redundancy and bitrot protection without the specifics of how that is done. And that type of user just happens to be what OMV is targeted at. ” I hope I didn't insult anyone, that was not my intention. Quote from ryecoaaron: “ Trying things out in a VM would help a lot of the problems/questions you have. ” I thought about that but setting up VM's seems c…

• It is frustrating that the ZFS implementation is so basic and featureless. I have other servers and will be trying out other options. For now, can you please confirm that as I understand it. I would create the zpool with 12 drives and then expand it with 12 more drives and then again with the last 12? I kinda need to get this up and running ASAP.

• Quote from cabrio_leo: “So I understand, you want to create one pool out of 36 drives (3 vdevs which 12 disks each)? That´s really big! So for my opinion each vdev should be a raidz3 or at least a raidz2. I am not sure if this is possible by the WebUI. Could be that you have to use the CLI. You may have a look at this article: ZFS Raidz Performance, Capacity and Integrity This is a comparison of different ZFS Raid Levels which different number of disks. You can also have a look here: 19.3.2. Add…

• Can't Install ZFS

milfaddict - - Plugins

Thanks for all your help Hoppel.

• Before I use the ZFS plugin for OMV, I just want to make sure I understand this before I continue. My goal is to create a RAID-Z3 pool with 3 vdevs consisting of 12x6TB drives. So as I understand it. I would create the zpool with 12 drives and then expand it with 12 more drives and then again with the last 12, right?