Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Shared HDD suddenly goes missing

tkaiser - - General

Quote from indragm: “I consider upgrading but worried about the power consumption ” There are way better ARM boards available than the RPi (which is just a horrible choice for the NAS use case): Enough of Rpi, now what?

• Monitor several OMV servers

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Adoby: “When the HC2s are under heavy utilization, sustained copying of GBs or even TBs, I worry about CPU and HDD temperatures ” My take on this: Test worst case conditions first, then never care again. The most interesting thing with HC2 is IMO whether contact area between the Exynos SoC and the heatsink is sufficient. One of my HC2 showed high temperatures. Shutting down, gently massaging the PCB (and the thermal compound below) and I had lower temps (less than 10°C IIRC) Quote fro…

• Monitor several OMV servers

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Adoby: “Should OMV 5 have an API for this? ” Well, the 'API' I would use is SNMP. Simply activate it (it has been outsourced as plugin with OMV4) and have a look what's available (massive amount of information). Then I would suggest looking at opennms.org/

• RPi2 wont boot

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Moelle87: “I already ordered an New one ” Too bad. The Raspberry Pi is the worst choice possible for any NAS implementation. See Enough of Rpi, now what? for details...

• RPi2 wont boot

tkaiser - - General

Quote from geaves: “I always wondered what the purpose of the Raspberry was, always assumed it was just a logo ” Well, it is somehow a logo (the original is the tux mascot -- for whatever reasons RPi people chose to replace the Linux logo with their own thing) but fortunately it serves a purpose when displayed Eight_copies_of_Tux_on_multi-core_processor.png

• RPi2 wont boot

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Moelle87: “an older RPI2 ” Your screenshot shows 1 Raspberry in the upper left corner --> single CPU core. You are NOT trying this on a RPi 2 but on an old B+.

• raid5 disk failure.

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from geaves: “In software raid simply pulling a drive from your system whilst shutdown, then switching it back on, will result in the raid being inaccessible ” Seriously? Is this expected behavior with mdraid's RAID-5 mode? Honest question since I don't know (and would've not expected such a behavior rendering the R in RAID somewhat useless)

• OVM NIC Bonding Questions/Troubles

tkaiser - - Network

Quote from Muffkins90: “when i type the get-smbmultichannelconnection into PowerShell it comes up with nothing at all ” Well, then most probably there's the culprit. Sorry, no Windows expert here, I just used this feature once when the feature was pretty new (oops -- that's 6 years ago) and am since then waiting for it to appear in operating systems I like a bit more than Windows (talking about client versions here).

• Quote from geaves: “Since this is a user help forum does it really matter that a comment and not a 'do this' or 'or that' is incorrect! ” Not at all. I just wanted to provide some guidance how to get the name of such services. But as @votdev and you pointed out it's a monit alert that can be ignored.

• Quote from geaves: “I tried the same on my system and got the same answers ” Well, why should on your system shares with the same name exist as somewhere else. Please note the '/dev/disk/by-label/' path so obviously the label you assigned to the filesystem is the important ingredient. An example from a random OMV box next to me -- how to get the service names for the mounted filesystems: Source Code (20 lines)

• Quote from daniel.971: “Unit mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-Data-RAID.service could not be found ” Hmm... then obviously the mount service is called differently. Please use the 'usual' attempts to get list of services with systemd and then use systemctl and journalctl to retrieve more information.

• RAID 1: how recover RAID and data?

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Judibet: “I prefer trying to recover ” Ok, the funny part about RAID-1 is: if one disk fails in theory you have all your data still available since RAID-1 implements a mirror. You can throw one disk away and still work with the other since they should contain an identical set of data. Of course this does not work as expected since mdraid only tries to mirror data but takes not care of actually mirroring the data (it simply doesn't care about data at all) RAID-1 was ok-ish twenty years…

• raid5 disk failure.

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from JimT: “Is this the expected behavior? ” Sorry, I can't answer this since of course I do NOT use RAID-5 any more for a decade or even longer (single redundancy and large disks --> useless) IMO you should ask yourself why you're playing RAID and if the answer is data protection immediately stop and start to think about backup (that's data protection) and not availability or 'business continuity' (that's all what RAID is about)

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Judibet: “finish=18496.7min speed=875K/sec ” 18496.7 minutes / 60 / 24 = only ~13 days remaining. Why exactly do people prefer availability (that obviously does NOT work) over data protection? And I really don't understand why you continue to use a failed concept (RAID-1) instead of starting with backup now...

• Quote from tobefond: “Is there a big difference in performance if I run OMV completely from SD card? ” Not at all. It really doesn't matter as long as you use our flashmemory plugin (which is active by default on all the ARM devices). Wrt nand-sata-install and the challenges involved... this is low-level stuff happening in Armbian so better visit forum.armbian.com/topic/7498-nanopc-t4/ (me still not that familiar with Rockchip boot procedures -- I start to love the Allwinner way of doing things …

• Quote from geaves: “you can turn off the messages by going into Notifications and in the notifications tab uncheck software raid ” He's smart and does not use mdraid but btrfs' own mirror mode (differences) so I doubt you can adjust anything within 'software raid'. @daniel.971 without providing more information it's somewhat impossible to help. Source Code (2 lines)

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Judibet: “RAID > 0 is used to avoid Data Lost ” Wrong. If you play RAID you need backup. 'RAID > 0' is about availability and not data protection as you might be able to realize right now. Next time better implement data protection (backup) and not availability (RAID).

• Enough of Rpi, now what?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from geaves: “I take it from your image that is a 12V constant voltage switching power supply ” The above image with the 2 HDD is from my old office. The PSU in the back is a 5V/12V dual voltage PSU used to power - Banana Pi (5V) - the cheap JMB321 SATA port multiplier behind the Banana Pi (5V) - the Seagate Barracuda on the right (5V/12V) The WD Green on the left (the last WD I ever bought) is powered by another 5V/12V dual PSU from an external USB-to-SATA adapter. When you use an ODROID …

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from Judibet: “To avoid mistake and data lost, what please I have to do? ” Do backup the next time. RAID is not backup and no one needs RAID at home.

• Quote from tobefond: “m2.SATA ” There is no SATA with RK3399. The image has been created the Armbian way (fully automated -- we don't fiddle around with images manually, they're all created 100% from scratch and then tested afterwards) and will work when running from SD card or eMMC (when you burn it directly to eMMC using the FriendlyELEC method and in my tests also when using nand-sata-install). I also tried booting from SD card with rootfs on NVMe (works), booting from eMMC with rootfs also o…