Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quote from tkaiser: “I proposed to evaluate a 'NAS HAT' to FriendlyELEC's CEO and fortunately he seems to agree ” Good news. In the meantime FriendlyELEC picked up the suggestion, made a prototype and tested it already: forum.armbian.com/topic/8097-n…findComment&comment=62449

• Shared HDD suddenly goes missing

tkaiser - - General

Quote from flmaxey: “this is a forum of opinions only ” Sure, if you want to sabotage solving user problems, then that's the way to go. In case you're not able to understand why recommending fdisk in 2018 is BS nobody can't help you. But with some light Google-Fu you should be able to get an idea why a tool that has been made 35 years ago for disks of low capacities only supporting a partition table that is a joke nowadays (MBR) can't work -- or just read and try to understand @macom's answer...

tkaiser - - General

Quote from geaves: “the old ways presented the op with information he understood ” Well, /proc/partitions is sufficient to get an idea what the kernel recognizes as partition. Using outdated tools will make things even worse since now the tool itself can interfere due to its own limitations. Fdisk is from 1983, the only reason it still gets recommended is since tutorials 'on the Internet' are 99% copy&paste of horribly outdated stuff. But of course neither fdisk, gdisk or /proc/partitions provid…

• OMV fails starting the web server

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Ayv014: “let the installation beggin after it automatically reboots ” The installation finishes itself when Internet access is possible and then one automatic reboot happens.

• Quote from Joanetc: “Could not resolve host ” This is a DNS problem. Your OMV box either has no Internet access or in your home network DNS is messed up. This first problem in your network led to this mess: Quote from Joanetc: “Linux raspberrypi 4.9.80-v7+ ” This kernel version is outdated and is an indication that you didn't read the instructions on the download page. Better start from scratch and this time follow instructions.

• Pi user doesn't have owner permissions

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mariodelta: “I tried to login with the user pi on OMV ” Why should there exist a user called pi with a password the whole world knows? Just read what's written at the download page. There is of course no user pi unless you create one manually.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from indragm: “can we go back to why my external hdd suddenly has no partition first? ” Impossible without providing any information. In case you installed OMV on your device within the last 12 months the image is based on Armbian and by executing Source Code (1 line)support information will be uploaded to an online pasteboard service.

• Quote from indragm: “I wish I could use my pine64 since I have it anyway ” sourceforge.net/projects/openm…ngle%20Board%20Computers/ There is no difference in "NAS performance" between an Allwinner A64 thing like Pine64 and Allwinner H5 things like OPi Zero Plus or NanoPi NEO2. At least as long as you only connect 2 disks maximum. Main difference between A64 and H5 is count of real USB host ports (H5 has twice as much). But Pine64 is a support nightmare since using Micro USB for DC-IN (so with an…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from geaves: “So you would use parted -l /dev/sda but fdisk will work on drives up to 2TB...won't it? ” Tools from last century (like fdisk) often show their age and many of them simply are incompatible with the IT world that has evolved. So better rely not on tools but what the kernel sees: Source Code (2 lines)

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “What in your case speaks for Orange Pi Zero? ” Orange Pi Zero Plus is something different (and a good choice for an inexpensive NAS board capable of up to 40 MB/s NAS performance with short write bursts of up to 80 MB/s)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from indragm: “I consider upgrading but worried about the power consumption ” There are way better ARM boards available than the RPi (which is just a horrible choice for the NAS use case): Enough of Rpi, now what?

• Monitor several OMV servers

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Adoby: “When the HC2s are under heavy utilization, sustained copying of GBs or even TBs, I worry about CPU and HDD temperatures ” My take on this: Test worst case conditions first, then never care again. The most interesting thing with HC2 is IMO whether contact area between the Exynos SoC and the heatsink is sufficient. One of my HC2 showed high temperatures. Shutting down, gently massaging the PCB (and the thermal compound below) and I had lower temps (less than 10°C IIRC) Quote fro…

• Monitor several OMV servers

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Adoby: “Should OMV 5 have an API for this? ” Well, the 'API' I would use is SNMP. Simply activate it (it has been outsourced as plugin with OMV4) and have a look what's available (massive amount of information). Then I would suggest looking at opennms.org/

• RPi2 wont boot

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Moelle87: “I already ordered an New one ” Too bad. The Raspberry Pi is the worst choice possible for any NAS implementation. See Enough of Rpi, now what? for details...

• RPi2 wont boot

tkaiser - - General

Quote from geaves: “I always wondered what the purpose of the Raspberry was, always assumed it was just a logo ” Well, it is somehow a logo (the original is the tux mascot -- for whatever reasons RPi people chose to replace the Linux logo with their own thing) but fortunately it serves a purpose when displayed Eight_copies_of_Tux_on_multi-core_processor.png

• RPi2 wont boot

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Moelle87: “an older RPI2 ” Your screenshot shows 1 Raspberry in the upper left corner --> single CPU core. You are NOT trying this on a RPi 2 but on an old B+.

• raid5 disk failure.

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from geaves: “In software raid simply pulling a drive from your system whilst shutdown, then switching it back on, will result in the raid being inaccessible ” Seriously? Is this expected behavior with mdraid's RAID-5 mode? Honest question since I don't know (and would've not expected such a behavior rendering the R in RAID somewhat useless)

• OVM NIC Bonding Questions/Troubles

tkaiser - - Network

Quote from Muffkins90: “when i type the get-smbmultichannelconnection into PowerShell it comes up with nothing at all ” Well, then most probably there's the culprit. Sorry, no Windows expert here, I just used this feature once when the feature was pretty new (oops -- that's 6 years ago) and am since then waiting for it to appear in operating systems I like a bit more than Windows (talking about client versions here).

• Quote from geaves: “Since this is a user help forum does it really matter that a comment and not a 'do this' or 'or that' is incorrect! ” Not at all. I just wanted to provide some guidance how to get the name of such services. But as @votdev and you pointed out it's a monit alert that can be ignored.

• Quote from geaves: “I tried the same on my system and got the same answers ” Well, why should on your system shares with the same name exist as somewhere else. Please note the '/dev/disk/by-label/' path so obviously the label you assigned to the filesystem is the important ingredient. An example from a random OMV box next to me -- how to get the service names for the mounted filesystems: Source Code (20 lines)